[SOLVED] How best to connect 12v mini monitor to desktop pc sharing laptop style power cord

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi all,

Bit of conundrum here. I'm a bit handy craft-wise but electrical isn't my forte.

I've a 12v 120w Pico PSU (not knock off, the real deal) and adapter on the way, and a power save optimised G4400 ATX build. How would i go about attaching a small monitor to the same power adapter?

1. Use a DC splitter, possibly with an extension ~10cm to reach the monitor
  2. Take a (fused?) 12v line directly from the PSU/mobo

The adapter I have coming should give full 10amp, with probably 80-90% efficiency so 100w+, PC on Furmark GPU and CPU simultaneous burn in shows under 50w, and monitor should be only 5-20w so its easily within the limits even with a SSD or so.

Example monitor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-inch-...264703902525?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Any help appreciated. My attempt at a briefcase desktop PC with foldout keyboard tray and usable PCIe expansion slots must succeed!

Solution
there were some USB double/y cable monitors i saw, and i have spare internal headers which i could put them on so that is still an option was what i meant.

70+ssd or 2, yes. I know it might need a thick ass cable, but im sure theres a splitter out there somewhere that'll do
16-18 gauge should work.
as far as a fuse...it's only going to save the PSU if it's not short circuit protected....but I think it probably is...so the fuse is probably not necessary.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I would like to share the PSU and/or AC-DC adapter if at all possible between monitor and pc.

Yes. I am only researching 12v monitors as they would seem to be the easiest to implement, unless USB would work/have high enough power?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
there were some USB double/y cable monitors i saw, and i have spare internal headers which i could put them on so that is still an option was what i meant.

70+ssd or 2, yes. I know it might need a thick ass cable, but im sure theres a splitter out there somewhere that'll do

16-18 gauge should work.
as far as a fuse...it's only going to save the PSU if it's not short circuit protected....but I think it probably is...so the fuse is probably not necessary.

Solution