Question How can I configure individual Leds on my ARGB Fans?

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi everyone.

I bought a Cooler Master TD500, it came with 3 Sickleflow ARGB Fans. The problem is that OpenRGB or RGBFusion only allow me to set one color for all 3 fans. The Proprietary Cooler Master software won't even recognize the fans.

My motherboard Aorus B450 Pro Wifi has 2, 3 pin 5v headers, called D_Led_1 and D_Led_2. My 3 fans are plugged into one of those headers with a splitter cable, that came with the case.

So it's not that I want to control each fan individually, what I want is to control individual leds. Even if I had 3 headers and connected my 3 fans in each one to control them individually, I don't think I would be able to control each led individually, it would be the same, just one color for each fan, like a freaking traffic light. I want control individual leds!!, how can I achieve that?. Isn't that the whole point of ARGB stuff?. So what makes an ARGB header different from an RGB header, if at the end of the day they can only send one color at a time?.

One thing I want to note is that I live in Mexico. There's a Cooler Master Controller that apparently can do the job, but that device is not sold in Mexico. I suppose I need something like that, because that device seems to be similar to the fan hub and controller I use for my Corsair fans, those are connected to the USB header on my motherboard, not to my ARGB Headers. and I can control individual leds and apply effects that display many colors at once.

Thank you!.

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
seems like these fans doesnt like gigabytes RGB fusion
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/sickleflow-120-argb/#overview
im seeing just asus aura, asrock polychrome, msi lightning...no mention about gigabyte at all
you might need either different fans which are rgb fusion compatible or may need argb controller from coolermaster

Hi, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Oh I see... and I think my confusion lies in the fact that the Case product page!, mentions RGB Fusion. And yeah RGB Fusion does recognize the header but no individual light control.

So yup, I will consider replacing the fans. Thank you!.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, check this past thread for some info on the new Gen2 version of ARGB lights that can be addressed and managed individually.

At the time I posted there, I could find only two makers that were selling lighting systems of this new type. Cooler Master was selling SOME of their fans, plus the new LED Controller A1 in this type, and SOME ASUS mobos had that feature. Right now (Feb/23) I can see that the description that Gigabyte offers of their RGB Fusion 2 utility indicates it also has this capability, although it's not stated as "Gen2" specifically. ALSO note that this only works if the particular MOBO model you have includes the new type of ARGB Controller necessary for Gen 2 features. You would need to confirm that with Gigabyte Tech Support.

Likewise, the FANS you get MUST be designed with this feature, and Cooler Master sells SOME of those in their MasterFan models - go to their website and use their Search tool to look for Gen2. It appears none of their Sickleflow fans have Gen2 light systems.

The Gen1 and Gen1 ARGB systems are incompatible - that is, you cannot mix lights of BOTH types on ONE Controller output channel. But since this is a new product class introduced into the market, the makers have allowed a way to let you use EITHER type of lights with their Controller systems. They offer a configuration option when setting the light displays so you can SET the output to work in either Gen1 or Gen 2 mode. I note with the Cooler Master LED Controller A1 new model it has THREE separate output channels, and EACH individually can be set for one of those modes. So if you have the older "standard" Gen1 type of ARGB lights connected to one of those outputs, you set that output to Gen1 and it works. But NOTE that this Controller comes pre-set to Gen2 on ALL its output channels. That is likely why yours did NOT recognize the Sickleflow fans' lights - they are not Gen2. Changing that configuration option in the Masterplus+ software utility should get them working, but NOT in the fancier Gen2 mode.

Similarly, I suspect that setting this option in the Gigbyte RGB Fusion2 utility can get those other mobo lighting headers to work with your Sickleflow fans in the older Gen1 mode.