[SOLVED] How can I enable command prompt in bios so that I can open it during windows setup? (laptop won't boot)

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
I've been trying to fix my friend's dell laptop. It's been saying no bootable devices and the traditional fixes I've found on the web aren't working. I've decided to reinstall windows to fix this and he doesn't mind losing any files on the computer.

The problem is that in windows setup the hard drive is set to GPT so I can't format it or install windows, I have to go through command prompt to reformat it, however, /diagnosticprompt is set to disabled by default, I don't know how to enable it so that I can reformat the drive and get through windows setup. Please help me figure this out, thank you.

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series.

Solution
you can't open command prompt in bios as its a windows program.

I am not sure what diagnosticprompt would do.

The problem is that in windows setup the hard drive is set to GPT so I can't format it or install windows,
if you do a clean install it includes a format. You don't have to do it before you start.
If you got a warning about GPT drives during the install, its misled you. The actual error should say "You are on MBR drives, win 10 prefers GPT.
Delete all partitions on the drive and click next. Windows will create the ones it needs
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can't open command prompt in bios as its a windows program.

I am not sure what diagnosticprompt would do.

The problem is that in windows setup the hard drive is set to GPT so I can't format it or install windows,
if you do a clean install it includes a format. You don't have to do it before you start.
If you got a warning about GPT drives during the install, its misled you. The actual error should say "You are on MBR drives, win 10 prefers GPT.
Delete all partitions on the drive and click next. Windows will create the ones it needs
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS