Question How can I fix moderate NAT type after installing new NIC?

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
Hey all! I recently installed a 2.5 gig NIC, which is running the RTL8125B chipset. I updated the lan drivers to the latest from Realtek's website, and configured the network adapter settings for best speeds. However, when I launched COD, both Vanguard and Warzone have moderate NAT type. I port forwarded accordingly for both games, but it didn't seem to change anything. I am by no means a networking expert, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It has nothing to do with the nic card in your machine it is something in the router.

First be very sure you have the proper IP for your machine, it likely ok since the nat is moderate.

In general you should not need more than moderate nat unless you are hosting the server function in your house. Not sure why people do this since I don't play COD, maybe different rule sets. I would be worried about the person running the server cheating.

You likely just have some rule in wrong or there are ports you don't know about. The best test is to use the DMZ option which forwards all ports. If this work then you know it is just a port forwarding rule you need to figure out. DMZ has more risks to leave open than specific port forwarding rules but both you take the risk of hackers attacking you machine.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
It has nothing to do with the nic card in your machine it is something in the router.

First be very sure you have the proper IP for your machine, it likely ok since the nat is moderate.

In general you should not need more than moderate nat unless you are hosting the server function in your house. Not sure why people do this since I don't play COD, maybe different rule sets. I would be worried about the person running the server cheating.

You likely just have some rule in wrong or there are ports you don't know about. The best test is to use the DMZ option which forwards all ports. If this work then you know it is just a port forwarding rule you need to figure out. DMZ has more risks to leave open than specific port forwarding rules but both you take the risk of hackers attacking you machine.
Port forwarding with an Xfinity gateway goes based on machine name, so I don’t even manually type in any proper ip’s. Nat type was open last night before slotting in the nic, then after, it’s coincidentally moderate.

Can you force it to use IP rather than name. It is hard to say how it would get a name unless it you windows install allows it. Maybe it is still somehow set to the old nic if it gets the name based on mac address or something.

Not sure but it has to be a port forwarding rules that is wrong. There is nothing on your machine you can get that affects this.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Youtube what ports you have to open for what ever cod game you're playing. An open nat type requires specific ports to be opened on your router and although some ports that need to be opened are shared with each installment, I believe there are a couple that differ with each installment.

TRENDING THREADS