Question How can I fix this bizarre RAM issue ?

Apr 15, 2024
Hey
I have an old MSI Z270 Tomahawk board on a computer (Specs ate the end of the post) that I'm using as a server.
Today I decided to upgrade the RAM for it and got stuck on this bizarre issue.
The board has 4 DIMM slots, the old memory was 2 x 8Gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3200Mhz and the upgrade is 4 x 16Gb Crucial Pro 3200Mhz.
The issue I'm facing is that the PC doesn't turn on (EZ Debug light just switches from the CPU and RAM back and forth, already tried to clear CMOS, can't even go to BIOS) with the new sticks except in some weird configurations.

It's better to show what I've tried:
G -> 8Gb stick from GSkill
C -> 16Gb stick from Crucial
X -> empty slot

X G X G - Boot and RAM shows in BIOS
X C X C - No boot
C X C X - No boot
C C C C - No boot
C X X X - No boot
X C X X - No boot
X X C X - No boot
X X X C - No boot

So I thought the crucial sticks were defective but then the bizarre part happened when I tried:
X X G C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS
X C G C - No boot
G C G C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS
G C C C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS

Specs:
i7 7700k
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
Corsair H100i v2 Cooler
Corsair RM750x PSU

Any help is appreciated

Apr 15, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
Thanks!

I'm using the latest available at MSI website

ZcY0LOK.png

Apr 15, 2024
Can't I mix two similar kits?
They're the same spec, same model and I'm putting them in the right slots (kit 1 in slots 1 and 3 and the other kit in slots 2 and 4)

What speed does the memory show up as in the BIOS when you're mixing and it boots successfully?

Also does it detect the 16GB capacity of the new DIMMs correctly?

While I don't advocate mixing kits of memory your current issues go way beyond anything of the sort.

Apr 15, 2024
Mixing is iffy.
Best to shop for a 4x16GB kit.
The 2x16GB kits are so much cheaper here...

What speed does the memory show up as in the BIOS when you're mixing and it boots successfully?

Also does it detect the 16GB capacity of the new DIMMs correctly?

While I don't advocate mixing kits of memory your current issues go way beyond anything of the sort.
It shows as 3200Mhz but running at 2133Mhz and yes it does detect as a 16Gb module

The 2x16GB kits are so much cheaper here...

It shows as 3200Mhz but running at 2133Mhz and yes it does detect as a 16Gb module
Try setting it to 3200 and seeing if the system boots. My theory is that maybe your system isn't stable at 3200 and the new memory doesn't have a base 2133 profile. This would explain why your system would boot with the old memory as the leading module as it defaults to 2133 and forces everything else to run the same speed.

Apr 15, 2024
Try setting it to 3200 and seeing if the system boots. My theory is that maybe your system isn't stable at 3200 and the new memory doesn't have a base 2133 profile. This would explain why your system would boot with the old memory as the leading module as it defaults to 2133 and forces everything else to run the same speed.
I have just set the frequency to 3200Mhz manually and it booted (With one stick G.skill and 3 Crucial)

Just set the Frequency to 3200Mhz manually and it booted (With one stick G.skill and 3 Crucial)
Well there goes that theory then as it's the only thing I could think of which would have that result. Check in Windows with CPU-Z on the SPD tab and see what it shows for the modules. See if there's differences between the Crucial and G.Skill modules.

The system is old enough it shouldn't have any training system, but there's definitely something different between the two.

Apr 15, 2024
Well there goes that theory then as it's the only thing I could think of which would have that result. Check in Windows with CPU-Z on the SPD tab and see what it shows for the modules. See if there's differences between the Crucial and G.Skill modules.

The system is old enough it shouldn't have any training system, but there's definitely something different between the two.

I don't have windows installed on this machine but I will try to see it
Clear the cmos.
Using just 1 stick of the crucial in slot a2 all other slots empty does it boot?

Repeat the test with each stick of crucial.

Already cleared CMOS and as I said in the post it does not boot with a singe stick of crucial:

C X X X - No boot
X C X X - No boot
X X C X - No boot
X X X C - No boot

I don't have windows installed on this machine but I will try to see it
Ah yeah my brain just automatically goes to Windows every time. The BIOS will display some information and looking through the manual it looks like there's an option in the OC menu called "Memory-Z" (manual also says you can press F5 to access) and in there it should have the SPD tables. The linux command you'd be looking for is decode dimms and while I've never used it myself should have all of the relevant information. This doesn't pull current information though as far as I'm aware just the tables themselves.

TRENDING THREADS