How can I get installed router to connect to internet explorer on laptop

Bonnie_63

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I HAVE INSTALLED A NEW NETGEAR ROUTER BUT THOUGH MY LAPTOP SHOWS I AM CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER I CANNOT CONNECT TO INTERNET EXPLORER., WHY? MY IPAD WORKED FINE BUT NOT THE LAPTOP. WHY

if this the first use of the router you will need to connect a Ethernet cable from one of the output Ethernet ports of the router to a Ethernet port on you laptop to get a direct connection. now, you can go through the setup of the wireless portion of the router.

if this is not the case then see below:

your router booted, started its own DHCP server and started give out IP addresses to your wireless devices. Your laptop sees the router but your router does not see the internet until your cable modem gives it a address from your cable company.

What you need to do: power down your cable modem, router and laptop.
disconnect the big round cable that goes into your cable modem for a few minutes, this will give the cable company's hardware time to detect your disconnection.
now reconnect your cable company round cable into your cable modem, connect your Ethernet cable into the cable modem on one side and to the INTERNET feed connection of your router. (it is a input line, right next to the output lines on the router)

now power up your cable modem, wait 30 seconds or so and power on your router.
(if your router is configured, it should have a route to the internet)

Power on your laptop and see if you get your connection you expect.
if you don't you will need to run
cmd.exe as a admin
and type the commands
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

and see if that works for you. or you could run the network troubleshooter which will do these commands and more to attempt to fix your problem.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

When this happens you usually see a message saying "Limited or no connectivity" and it's commonly caused by the lack of a wireless security key to make a complete connection. If you cable the laptop to the router as johnbl suggests, you will almost certainly connect straight away - we know this because your iPad already can connect.

You can find the security key the router expects the laptop to have to be able to make that connection by using the information in our Sticky Post on this subject. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/38111-18-find-change-wireless-security

We think we know the IPad can connect. It can mislead,
People tend to test the Ipad by checking the connection to the router and assumes it is working, (ie the connection to the router works, the connection to the broadband could still be unpluged.)

They might go another step and bring up a browser and display their default web page and think it is working. But they could be looking at data from a browser cache on the local device.

End the end it is hard to be certain and often until they force a refresh of the webpage or go to a new site they have not been to. Sometimes they might be going through another router and not know it.