Feb 13, 2020
My GTX 780 gave up, and I'm looking for an upgrade to replace it. While the 780 was working, I noticed that video playback from my 5MP 30FPS H.264 home security camera was better performed by my CPU rather than my GPU hardware acceleration. For example, with hardware acceleration on, I could smoothly playback the video at 2x speed, but it would freeze up and reduce to <1 FPS at 4x playback speed. When I turned off hardware acceleration, I could hear my CPU cooler fans ramp up, and smoothly playback the video at up to 4x speed.

I figure to improve upon this, I would need a graphics card with at least 2x faster video decoding than the GTX 780. Is there a benchmark or spec I should be looking for in a modern graphics card that would outperform my CPU, allowing for 8x or possibly 16x playback?

CPU is an i7-4820K on a Sabertooth X79 mobo. Any advice is appreciated!

Solution
Any decent video card will be fine, the issue with playback is that the old card probably did not have native hardware decoding of the H.264 codec.

If your main thing is to play video files, RX580 is plenty, assuming you are not looking for the system to play demanding games at high fram rates.
Any decent video card will be fine, the issue with playback is that the old card probably did not have native hardware decoding of the H.264 codec.

If your main thing is to play video files, RX580 is plenty, assuming you are not looking for the system to play demanding games at high fram rates.

Solution
Feb 12, 2020
You also have to make sure that the application is not poorly GPU optimized because there might be a chance the coding of the runtime environment is favored by cpu instruction sets. quite uncommon but still an issue.