[SOLVED] How can I improve the computer performance?

Jan 26, 2021
My laptop is 12 years old Compaq 610, 4gb DDR2 not up gradable chip set, Core 2 Duo processor, 320gb HDD and 240gb SSD, Windows 10 x64. System boots faster but performance isn't.

Earlier tried with Linux Mint 18 using 8gb of Swap space from SSD, was able to load, minimize applications(up to 4), but wasn't able to work on them.

Requires heavy multitasking alike MySQL, STS, NPM, Atom, Postman, Docker and Firefox. Not to forget PDF reader, Spreadsheet etc.

As of now, doing one task at a time, really annoying. RAM usage exceeds 90% with only MySQL and STS. CPU clock on 2.0ghz 100% used. Most annoying thing is computer freezes every other minutes or two if I open another application.

Idle usage is b/w 35-40%, no heavy application processes. Disabled startup programs, killed / killing unwanted processes over and again. Tried disabling cache, did startup changes, No improvement.

I anyhow need the STS to be running all the time with MySQL, and that leaves me no RAM space to run other of those above mentioned applications. Possibly the culprit here is the less RAM space.

What can be done improve the multitasking and general computer performance in this scenario?

Solution
My laptop is 12 years old Compaq 610, 4gb DDR2 not up gradable chip set, Core 2 Duo processor, 320gb HDD and 240gb SSD, Windows 10 x64. System boots faster but performance isn't.

Earlier tried with Linux Mint 18 using 8gb of Swap space from SSD, was able to load, minimize applications(up to 4), but wasn't able to work on them.

Requires heavy multitasking alike MySQL, STS, NPM, Atom, Postman, Docker and Firefox. Not to forget PDF reader, Spreadsheet etc.
As noted above, you just need new hardware.
There is really nothing you can do with a 12 year old laptop, that was average at best when it was new.
Simply put - you need a new computer with more of everything. If you have an app for multiple OS, and it causes the ram usage to rev up to max, tweaking your OS or replacing it wouldn't help.

Maybe - but this is just shooting a white almost invisible arrow - you can tweak some of your apps so that they consume less ram.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 26, 2021
Simply put - you need a new computer with more of everything. If you have an app for multiple OS, and it causes the ram usage to rev up to max, tweaking your OS or replacing it wouldn't help.

Maybe - but this is just shooting a white almost invisible arrow - you can tweak some of your apps so that they consume less ram.
I'm not sure if I'm able to do that, I'm not familiar with limiting RAM usage for particular application, if you can guide me through, I can give it a shot through, However I still think 5+ high memory consuming applications are just not feasible for 4gb.

USAFRet

Titan

As noted above, you just need new hardware.
There is really nothing you can do with a 12 year old laptop, that was average at best when it was new.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution