[SOLVED] How can I keep my 2080ti cooler when gaming.

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
I have only had this card for less than a month and it's concerning me how quickly it heats up to 80 ºc.

When I first got set up with my new card I tested to see how well it handles games like Red Dead Redemption I noticed it quickly got hot within 5mins playing nothing too demanding apart from graphics being Maxed I changed the settings to Medium and stayed around 60 ºc but then I test it out on other games from Wow, Runescape just to see if a less demanding game will run well yet still reaches around 80 ºc.

I did some tests from having fans run in turbo mode while playing, having a side panel off and even sticking my main Desk Fan aiming at the card still nothing really stops it from hitting 75 ºc+ within minutes.

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($504.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($194.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($279.97 @ Walmart)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($168.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1224.44 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Tower 900 ATX Full Tower Case ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($623.85 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Best Buy)

Solution
Not too fussed about noise as I’m always using headphones but I don’t want this kind of heat coming out my case come summer.

If the GPU is working just as hard it will produce about the same amount of heat in your room regardless of the cooler’s effectiveness. One way around it is to use an air conditioner in your room or set up a system that actually pipes the GPU heat out of the room. Otherwise you just have to dial the card back to reduce heat output, which is not what most people want to do when buying a top-tier card made for performance. You could try undervolting it, but I don’t know how successful that’ll be.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That case is really aimed for complete liquid cooled setups.
You're not going to be able to keep an air cooled gpu very cool in there... at least it's not thermal throttling.

Glass is an insulator of heat. One glass panel, or small window won't be a big deal, but that case has 3 of them

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Any good case that would fit my build inside? I was going with watercooling but was told to avoid being a beginner for watercooling I would rather keep my case but think it be a lot cheaper to go with another case then to buy full loop watercooling.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.ebuyer.com/881692-eg-mi...OajCk6Bb7ligoDystDB5nB2ob9T_weCcaAs-OEALw_wcB I would go with something like this if it will keep the card cool don’t want to be wasting money on a case to find out it still gets high in temps
Hate to break it to you this way, but the fancy front panels like that aren't going to cut it.
Cases with mesh front panels are going to be better for temps - OR something with a reasonably sized side intake like Lian Li's O11 Dynamic or Dynamic XL.
Small gaps in the side(s) do not bring in that much air.

If the case has a psu shroud, a 'vented' one is better than a closed one.

Reactions: ammos and sizzling

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I have an EVGA RTX 2080 ti card and gaming temperatures in Red Dead 2 usually go up to 80C.
I set a much more aggressive fan curve using MSI Afterburner and it lowered it to 75C.
The fans spin at around 80% when the temperature gets up to 74C and they could go higher but at the expensive of added noise.

Andy

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
I have an EVGA RTX 2080 ti card and gaming temperatures in Red Dead 2 usually go up to 80C.
I set a much more aggressive fan curve using MSI Afterburner and it lowered it to 75C.
The fans spin at around 80% when the temperature gets up to 74C and they could go higher but at the expensive of added noise.

Andy
Not too fussed about noise as I’m always using headphones but I don’t want this kind of heat coming out my case come summer.

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
Hate to break it to you this way, but the fancy front panels like that aren't going to cut it.
Cases with mesh front panels are going to be better for temps - OR something with a reasonably sized side intake like Lian Li's O11 Dynamic or Dynamic XL.
Small gaps in the side(s) do not bring in that much air.

If the case has a psu shroud, a 'vented' one is better than a closed one.
I’ve always like the look of that case but true what you saying see I don’t want to spend out on a case if it won’t help cool the card down.

ammos

Prominent
Dec 18, 2019
So - all are exhaust fans and no intakes?

On side panels - change all to intake orientation.

BTW - where is cpu AIO radiator installed? Can you show any photos?
I have temporarily mounted it on top of the case the holes was not long enough to mount it at the rear had little choice but to mount it on top doesn’t look pretty but it doing fine cpu keep to 50c under load.

If the GPU is working just as hard it will produce about the same amount of heat in your room regardless of the cooler’s effectiveness. One way around it is to use an air conditioner in your room or set up a system that actually pipes the GPU heat out of the room. Otherwise you just have to dial the card back to reduce heat output, which is not what most people want to do when buying a top-tier card made for performance. You could try undervolting it, but I don’t know how successful that’ll be.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS