Question How can I make USB hubs work?

SegaPup

Prominent
Dec 14, 2019
I recently got a new laptop with only 2 USB-A and one USB-C ports. I have 3 external screens - HDMIx2 and VGA. I have a borrowed Dell D6000 that can do 1 hdmi and 1 display port which is fine for my old laptop which has a second hdmi port. However, all the hubs I try off Amazon, even if they say they can do 3 screens, fail to do so, and many refuse to display one of my screens - VIZIO VM230XVT. I am using hdmi for it and it works fine with the Dell. I was given the idea to daisy chain two hubs and although neither can send a signal to the VIZIO individually or together, the VIZIO does work with the Dell, AND can display if the Dell hub is plugged into either of the amazon hubs.

Can anyone post links on how USB-C hubs work, or help me get my set-up working on my own hardware? I would greatly prefer if I could get the 3 screens working through 1 USB even if two hubs, under $60 total or at least under $100.

Ports on laptop:

2 x USB-A (version 3.1 Gen 2)

1 x USB-C® (version 3.1 Gen 2 with USB Power Delivery revision 3.0)

To reiterate - the laptop can definitely run the issue screen (through the borrowed Dell hub) AND run all three screens if the Dell is put through another hub. I want to know what is going on, and I want to buy a solution for cheap while Dell hubs run a few hundred dollars ($200-500).

May be you have to scale back your expectations, and you should put more thinking before buyng said laptop.

The device you are looking after is not USB hub, but rather USB Dock Station - device which plugs into USB port, and provides HDMI/DP ports, Ethernet, USB ports etc. I would first check with your laptop' vendor whether they sell such dock station for your model.

SegaPup

Prominent
Dec 14, 2019
I bought the laptop because it was the absolute only option I could find marginally close to my needs and I knew docking stations worked for my desk set up. In fact, they do work for it. What I am struggling with is why some will not use one of my screens at all and where to go to learn more about how these little boxes work so I can figure out why they don't and fix them or have a more focused search based on something more than ports.