[SOLVED] How can I make Windows start up faster?

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
The part of the boot from turning the computer on to entering Windows is quick, but then once I am in windows, there is like a 10-15 min, maybe longer, period where the HDD is working and working and working and the computer is slow.

I don't understand why that is. I have 7 programs that start on start up, I don't think they're that taxing. Avast, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Viber and 3 other lightweight programs. I don't get what the computer is doing for so long.

What can I do to try to speed up this start up period?

Solution
I think if you enable the process to load at startup in the task manager/start menu it will enable the services you have stopped in msconfig.
Don't do it all at once unless you found the program that is cause

It says at the bottom "Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting and resume functionality." Does that mean that after the clean boot once I restart my computer again all the disabled services will be reenabled automatically?
I would only do this once you found the problem program, to make sure everything else is running

Colif

Win 11 Master
buy an ssd and stop using a hdd to boot off

more ram might help but ssd makes it so much faster. You never want to use a hdd again.

try defragging hdd. if its an old hdd you probably want to ran scans on it and check health

What make/model is hdd?

Last edited:

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
The HDD is a Western Digital 640 GB 1AALS-00L3B2. It's partitioned into a Windows partition (99GB, 43 GB free, 2% fragmented) and a data partition which fluctuates but is usually close to full and 86% fragmented.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sounds like Windows is working on indexing your drive. As a test, try this:

Type "Services.msc" in the search window, bottom left and run the Services app.
In the Services Window that opens, scroll down through the list until your find "Windows Search".
Double-click the entry to open the Properties window.
Change the Startup type to "Manual", click Apply and then OK.
Close the Services window and reboot your system.

Do you still note the HDD activity after the restart?

-Wolf sends

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this has been a long running win 10 issue for many people and i have seen it getting worse lately. most likely it is ms indexing/data mining the heck out of your system. they don't care if you can actually use your pc since it is not really yours anymore. it belongs to ms and they are kind enough to allow you to use it every now and then when they are done sucking all the info they can out of it.

turning off windows search/indexing like explained above usually helps. i have also found that blocking most of the telemetry helps as well. stops a good bit of the hdd usage from my experience. i generally use this app to slow it down some

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Sounds like Windows is working on indexing your drive. As a test, try this:

Type "Services.msc" in the search window, bottom left and run the Services app.
In the Services Window that opens, scroll down through the list until your find "Windows Search".
Double-click the entry to open the Properties window.
Change the Startup type to "Manual", click Apply and then OK.
Close the Services window and reboot your system.

Do you still note the HDD activity after the restart?

-Wolf sends

I tried this, but unfortunately it's still the same.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Dimitri001
D

Deleted member 14196

Oh my God you installed avast that will do what you’re talking about all day long what a pile of garbage

Ccleaner is also premium garbage that should never be installed for any reason. Those two are some of the best ways to mess up your PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ccleaner breaks things. I can recall installing it on my last PC, first day I had PC and it uninstalled programs I needed.
You don't need these programs, they don't help. Windows storage sense already does many of the things it does. combined with disk cleanup.

I used Avast, even if you pay for it they still beg for more money almost all the time.
I may still pay for AV but the product I use doesn't ask for any money except when I am due for a new payment. NO pop ups offering new things I don't need, no selling your email address to marketing firms when selling AV products isn't profitable enough.

Wait, you want more? The people who own Avast also own CCLeaner

Dimitri001

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

One question regarding this. The instructions say to disable all services except Microsoft ones, but how will I know afterwards which ones to reenable?

It says at the bottom "Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting and resume functionality." Does that mean that after the clean boot once I restart my computer again all the disabled services will be reenabled automatically?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think if you enable the process to load at startup in the task manager/start menu it will enable the services you have stopped in msconfig.
Don't do it all at once unless you found the program that is cause

I would only do this once you found the problem program, to make sure everything else is running

Solution