Question How can i test RAM for errors?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

As the title says , how can i test my ram 100% or at least close to it to check for errors in the hardware
I´ve came across memtest86 and memtest86+ but idk if they´re worth
If not , how can i test my ram? I´ve also used windows diagnostic and it said no errors but people say that this is not very reliable
I wanted to test since i´ve been having some exception error codes in games (0xc000005 in BO2) a bit frequent i would say
Tested the cpu through intel stress test , ran aida too and without issues
GPU is fine i guess( no artifacts or anything, no windows crashes)
So which software tool/way is the best to check for ram hardware errors?
Thank you

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Actually, should probably download lan or wireless driver to another usb stick or somewhere. Just in case Windows doesn't recognise / install network driver for the motherboard. I think Windows should but if it doesn't because motherboard is too new then you'll be left hanging without internet on this machine. Just a safety measure.
I have a notebook if it fails
So is this it or is there something else?
Thank you

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It sucks that windows always installs the generic ones for audio and stuff
Is it bad to overwrite it with the ones from my mobo?
After doing all this good to go? Or is there something that i still should do
BIOS latest version forgot to mention
Thank you

Yes if Motherboard has drivers available, install those. The motherboard manufacturer knows more about it's product than Microsoft.

Search to disable device driver updates. I have this disabled.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Yes if Motherboard has drivers available, install those. The motherboard manufacturer knows more about it's product than Microsoft.

Search to disable device driver updates. I have this disabled.
I´m going to format
After windows is done , i´m going to wipe windows drivers and install the mobo ones
It sucks that windows will always install a driver and removing it via Control panel does not completely remove it i guess
It also installs a generic one for the GPU
It is hard because i can´t use the cpu video since this processor does not have a igpu to at least install the correct drivers for the actual gpu
So is it still ok to wipe windows drivers and install the mobo ones after( in fact i actually can´t install gpu and audio drivers since windows always have these installed)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wont matter, after reinstalling Windows, just reinstall drivers over the top including gpu drivers. Windows installs generic drivers to get some functionality out of the system, as it should. There shouldn't be any conflicts what so ever installing manufacture specific drivers over Window's drivers.

Remember to go to System > Advanced system settings > Hardware > Device installation settings > check No.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Wont matter, after reinstalling Windows, just reinstall drivers over the top including gpu drivers. Windows installs generic drivers to get some functionality out of the system, as it should. There shouldn't be any conflicts what so ever installing manufacture specific drivers over Window's drivers.

Remember to go to System > Advanced system settings > Hardware > Device installation settings > check No.
Thanks i was afraid that i needed to completely remove older drivers for it to work well
memtest test finished without errors
Well i guess it isn´t my hardware
Going to format now and install mobo drivers over windows ones , without reinstalling them