Jul 26, 2020
My rig :-
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
Adata Gammix D30 16GB (8x2) DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte A520M DS3H Motherboard
Corsair VS450(Black & White) 80+ PSU

I want to turn off the voltage regulation/voltage protection or surge protection in my Gigabyte BIOS settings because I'm facing total system shutdowns (not even BSODs). The shutdowns ONLY happen when I play games which require my GPU to draw a little more power. Now these shutdowns are not happening because of temperatures rising because I tested it with MSI Afterburner in Cyberpunk 2077. The difference in temps with RTX ON/OFF was very negligible and I used to play it without shutdowns in January too (the shutdowns WERE happening in December at the time of release though). And since the new patches have come up, like 1.12 the AMD multi threading problem is KINDA solved but the shutdowns are happening again even with very minimal impact RT shadows ON (and no other RT features ON). I've completely turned OFF Ray Tracing to see if anything improves but no, the shutdowns still occurs. I've read on reddit thread that graphic intensive games TEND to cause system shutdowns because ULTRA graphic settings and heavy settings like RT can cause some fluctuations in the power draw requirements like voltage fluctuations. At first, I thought that the shutdowns only occur when a very heavy scene is present on the screen like in the city area of Night City. But shutdowns still occurs when I was on the less demanding areas like outskirts of the city even with Ray Tracing completely turned off.

Some other games like Minecraft with shaders and texture packs and EVEN GTA 5(an 8 y/o game) can have this issue. HOW ??? Well, the case with Minecraft is understandable that ONLY heavy shaders like SEUS PTGI E12, SEUS HRR PTGI and Continuum 2.0.4 with high res texture packs can cause this because of the same power draw requirements... But I don't know what is the problem with GTA V because it's an 8 year old game, easily playable, and only uses like 4.5 GB VRAM out of 8GB VRAM in my card on all settings EXCEPT medium grass and turned off resolution modifier (dunno what's the name of that setting). It caused shutdowns while having a normal multiplayer session in my friend's lobby. I even turned off advanced settings and turned down settings from Very High to high but the problem still persisted. I was also recording the game with NVENC encoder in Bandicam but then switched to H264 (the CPU encoder) and then the recording became little stable after one shutdown.

Please help me guys. And also can you tell me will it be safe to turn off voltage regulation ?

Solution
100MHz would not matter that much regarding FPS however RAY Tracing will demand an increase in Wattage and in turn put greater demand on the PSU and that is what is causing your system to crash.
Your PSU is under considerable strain and at the limit of its capability.

Just bear in mind that should it fail it can take down other system hardware so I recommend an upgrade asap to 600W gold certified unit which will provide for your Overclocks and future upgrades.
The Corsair VS450 is a basic PSU with poor quality capacitors and poor voltage regulation and so I suspect the PSU.
Certainly worth testing under load.
I recommend swapping out the unit with a gold certified unit at 600W. EVGA or Seasonic are good.

It is not safe to disable voltage regulation.

Jul 26, 2020
The Corsair VS450 is a basic PSU with poor quality capacitors and poor voltage regulation and so I suspect the PSU.
Certainly worth testing under load.
I recommend swapping out the unit with a gold certified unit at 600W. EVGA or Seasonic are good.

It is not safe to disable voltage regulation.
Hey man I found out another solution ! I found that the problem is obviously between my PSU and GPU so I tried to undervolt my GPU core clock frequency curve to a stable 825mV @ 1800MHz with stable 74-78'C max temperature. I also made another profile in MSI Afterburner at a stable 775mV @ 1700MHz with temps ranging from 69 - 74 max. THE SHUTDOWNS HAVE COMPLETELY STOPPED NOW !!!

But I have a question...
Does the extra 100MHz in the 1800MHz profile matter THAT much ? I mean, I'm getting a bit cooler temperatures with a little less power draw. I didn't see a difference in FPS that much like it was maybe 2-3FPS. I stress tested my GPU with Cyberpunk 2077 at all RT ON & Psycho(Lighting) and I was getting 31-38FPS in the city and ONLY in one heavy Japenese area I was getting 28-30FPS. Now this is all at 1080p with Digital Foundry's optimised non RT settings + all Ray Tracing effects at max. If I turn off RT completely, I sit well in 55-65FPS range in city with DF's optimized settings and SSR set to Psycho.

Thanks so much for the answer man. I figured as much that I need a GOOD PSU like at least a 550W Bronze PSU. I'll go for a 550W unit because I don't think I'll upgrade my GPU soon like 2-3 years. I don't think that I need to buy a brand new PSU right now as the shutdowns have stopped and my games run stable now with my GPU consuming lesser power (like 30-40 Watts less !). I'll buy it when I upgrade my CPU or GPU in future.

100MHz would not matter that much regarding FPS however RAY Tracing will demand an increase in Wattage and in turn put greater demand on the PSU and that is what is causing your system to crash.

Just bear in mind that should it fail it can take down other system hardware so I recommend an upgrade asap to 600W gold certified unit which will provide for your Overclocks and future upgrades.

Solution
Jul 26, 2020

I will upgrade it when I save some money as I'm a student so I don't earn anything.

Can you tell me how to undervolt my CPU so that it runs cooler too...? Because while IDLE it touches 55 - 60'C consistently (mostly above 55'C) on stock cooler. My case isn't cool enough - Ant Esports ICE 300TG. Dude, INDIAN SUMMERS ARE NASTY !!!! So the ambient temperature after 10:00 p.m. starts going closer towards 30'C in the noon and the worst case is in the months of April & May where it easily touches 40'C (outdoors) in the afternoon. And I don't have an AC installed in the room so I can't help it. Also, generally, AMD systems runs hot on their stock coolers like 55' - 60'C ON IDLE ( I saw it in Hardware Info 64 too). And my mobo is not allowing me to undervolt my CPU through Ryzen Master as the profile 1 and 2 doesn't open and are locked or greyed out. So can you suggest me how to undervolt it through BIOS settings. I have a Gigabyte A520M DS3H mobo.

I do not recommend undervolting without knowing what you are doing. I too live in a hot climate however I have AIR Conditioning. Your only choice is to water cool the CPU and provide more Case fans for better throughput.

The Gigabyte A520M DS3H does not support Overclocking so you are limited as to what you can do in Bios.

Undervolting your CPU will affect your performance as you have to reduce the CPU frequency and that is done in Bios under CPU Vcore.
Just how much you gain regarding a reduction in temperature is a matter of trial and error.
Too little Core voltage and the system will not Boot. You will also need to step down the CPU frequency for any temperature reduction and that is normally done using your multiplier.

CPU frequency and Core voltage can be read in CPUz within Windows.