Question How can places continue to supply molex to sata adaptors that catch fire without getting sued?

Notatallsvelte

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
Apparently they are well known to cause fires in your pc, if you have a certain type, how is this possilble!
I just bought one off amazon with thousands of reviews, but I'm still terrified!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Virtually anything can cause a fire if not properly used. What exactly are you trying to do here?
I am guessing related to this thread:

If the PSU doesn't have the necessary cables/connectors, use of an adapter is NOT recommended.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

Notatallsvelte

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
"The cause is a new SATA specification which includes the ability to disable power to the hard disk. When you look at the SATA power connection on the back of your hard drive, there are 15 pins that make contact with your power supply. It's the third pin that delivers a 3.3V signal that disables the drive. What we need to do is prevent that third pin from making contact with the power cable."

Seems to be a well known issue, I thought it would be better than messing around with tape, I guess not.

I still don't see how the lower quality adaptors are still able to be made, they should be illegal, and anybody/everybody that suffered from them able to sue the companies into oblivion.