How Did Windows 10 Activate?

I replaced the non-working HDD with an new SSD in an older HP laptop and inserted my downloaded Windows 10 .iso disc I downloaded from Microsoft in May '18.

Everything seemed normal, except I don't remember choosing which version of Windows to install. Before I knew it Windows was installing and loaded. Since this is someones else's laptop I used a local account with a generic name and no password so they will be able to set stuff up on their own.

Upon checking for updates I checked the activation, and to my surprise Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license. How is this possible? Windows 10 is now fully updated and still says activated. I have a feeling this will deactivate sometime in the near future. I'm going to change the product key and put in the one I bought. Again, why would this happen?

*Update: Oh, and the funny thing is there's a second laptop I'm doing the same thing on and it did not happen like described above. It was a normal install where I selected the OS type and it isn't activated. This one previously had Windows 7 and the other had Windows 8 and possibly 10 if they did the free upgrade. But like I said new SSD in both as the only drive.

Solution
The activation was tied to that laptop, no matter what drive you put it on.
A clean install on a new drive in that same laptop...activate no problem.

Okay, wow I didn't know that. So they must have upgraded to Windows 10 at some point? Because it shipped with Windows 8.

USAFRet

Titan

Even if it was still the original Win 8/8.1....the free upgrade activation still apparently works.