Question How Do I Build a Decent Secure Home Network?

SupportTech2001

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
I know I need a router and VPN. I want to configure the whole myself. Any suggestions for the router and open-source materials would be greatly appreciated. I am excited about this project and feel like it would be a good way for me to learn more about networking, which would be good since I want a CompTia Net+ certification. I hate googling stuff like this because I feel like the lists are funded by companies with their products.

kanewolf

Titan
I know I need a router and VPN. I want to configure the whole myself. Any suggestions for the router and open-source materials would be greatly appreciated. I am excited about this project and feel like it would be a good way for me to learn more about networking, which would be good since I want a CompTia Net+ certification. I hate googling stuff like this because I feel like the lists are funded by companies with their products.
Why do you believe you "need" a VPN for a secure home network?
A secure home network is pretty easy.
  1. Factory reset all network hardware
  2. Set a strong unique secure admin password. If the device allows, change the admin account to something other than "admin"
  3. Set your SSID with a strong unique password. DON'T provide that password to anyone.
  4. Create a guest WIFI network for casual users.
  5. Disable everything not necessary on your router. UPnP, WPS, WIFI admin access
  6. Don't do stupid stuff on the web to piss-off people. There is generally no reason for a home network to be a target beyond typical shotgun access of every IP address.
  7. Change your passwords periodically. Yes, it is a PITA, but it provides security.

Last edited:
CompTIAN Network+ is just basics and best practice. It seems you have time on your hands and want to mess around with routers. Asus routers are nice and have lots of settings that you can mess around with from factory. You can also load different firmware from Asus-Merlin to DD-WRT but you don't really need to do that because vendor firmware has 99% of features/settings anyone would need. RT-AC88U is probably cheap enough to mess around with but if you plan on using any custom firmware, make sure they support the router.

Reactions: SupportTech2001

Ralston18

Titan
And do google about for information. Agree that many lists and company websites are biased.

However some companies do provide good information, diagrams, and explanations via User Guide/Manuals, FAQs, and Forums. Some offer tutorials that can be very educational with diagrams, glossaries, etc..

Limit searches to the last couple of years and pay attention to article dates. Fundamentals are likely, but not always, older documents. Products and related specifics likely to be newer documents.

Start a search with "Home Networking Tutorial".

Vary search criteria as you deem necessary.

Be wary of sites pushing you to download anything. Some home made tutorials/videos can be wrong in one way or another.

If any given website is not to your liking then look elsewhere.

USAFRet

Titan
I agree with the above comment of "Why VPN?"

Be really really really careful about VPN Review sites:

Also...

SupportTech2001

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
Hire a professional or read some material, google is your friend, build a home lab and experiment. Look at options like Pfsense or Opensense.
Yeah, I'm looking for some guidance from people who have done it, what did and didn't work for them, anything that made it easier or cut the time down. I am a professional and trying to build a skill set.

SupportTech2001

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
Why do you believe you "need" a VPN for a secure home network?
A secure home network is pretty easy.
  1. Factory reset all network hardware
  2. Set a strong unique secure admin password. If the device allows, change the admin account to something other than "admin"
  3. Set your SSID with a strong unique password. DON'T provide that password to anyone.
  4. Create a guest WIFI network for casual users.
  5. Disable everything not necessary on your router. UPnP, WPS, WIFI admin access
  6. Don't do stupid stuff on the web to piss-off people. There is generally no reason for a home network to be a target beyond typical shotgun access of every IP address.
  7. Change your passwords periodically. Yes, it is a PITA, but it provides security.
Well, privacy is another layer of security.

SupportTech2001

Reputable
Sep 18, 2019
I agree with the above comment of "Why VPN?"

Be really really really careful about VPN Review sites:

Also...
Well, privacy is another layer of security.
Also, I plan on using open-source VPN on a mini computer.