How do I choose the default drive I want programs to install to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpd_

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I have an SSD (C drive) that I have windows on and I have an HDD (E drive) that I have some of my stuff on, but it's a pain when the installer doesn't give you an option to install to a different drive. I already went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and changed ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFilesPath, ProgramW6432Dir, and ProgramFilesDir (x86) to go to my E drive instead of my C drive. Doing this results in me not being able to open things I want installed into my C drive. For example, I couldn't open Minecraft because it was installed into my C drive and it gives me an error message saying it couldn't find anything in my E drive. Is there a way I could get around this? Thanks! Sorry to make this so confusing!

Solution
Hello... you Must choose "custom install" to do this option, with any program... create a Program files and Program files (x86) Folders on your D:\ drive, like your C:\ drive to keep the organization easier for you.

Computer-manage-disk management right click the graphics below for the drive tools needed for fixing your drive lettering problem.

You must give permission to Windows first before adding a data drive/partition to your OS. "mark active"

USAFRet

Titan

Do not change the default location to be other than the C drive.
I can't stress this enough.

Undo whatever it was you did in the Registry.
Very, very few applications do not give you the option of where to install. For those that do not, consider whether you want to actually use that, because it was built by a crappy developer.

Moving on....
Whenever you install something, you choose where it should go.
For other stuff (doc/music/video), see this:

Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Solution
Jun 21, 2019
FOR ANYONE HAVING THI S ISSUE IN THE FUTURE.

YOU CANNOT DO THIS, THE MAIN DRIVE WILL ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY BE CHOSEN BUT BEFORE MOST OR ALL DOWNLOADS/INSTALLATIONS START, IT WILL TELL YOU THE LOCATION IN WHICH IT WILL BE DOWNLOADED/INSTALLED IN WHICH YOU CAN SELECT "CHANGE" AND SELECT THE PROPER DRIVER.

MAKE PROGRAM FILES AND (x86) FOLDERS TO INSTALL TO.

USAFRet

Titan
FOR ANYONE HAVING THI S ISSUE IN THE FUTURE.

YOU CANNOT DO THIS, THE MAIN DRIVE WILL ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY BE CHOSEN BUT BEFORE MOST OR ALL DOWNLOADS/INSTALLATIONS START, IT WILL TELL YOU THE LOCATION IN WHICH IT WILL BE DOWNLOADED/INSTALLED IN WHICH YOU CAN SELECT "CHANGE" AND SELECT THE PROPER DRIVER.

MAKE PROGRAM FILES AND (x86) FOLDERS TO INSTALL TO.
There is zero need to create folders called "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" on some other drive.
Those folder names exist in the Windows ecosystem and default drive simply due to legacy considerations.

You can install new applications to any folder name, on any drive.

And please don't shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.