Question How Do I? - Custom Cables & PSU Cable management

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
I keep seeing people on forums like these showing off their slick and clean looking PC builds that use cables like below and I have no idea how to go about it. Even after their builds are complete they look so clean and organized(cables all aligned and are straight/flat looking.) I've seen online that you shouldn't just use these random cables for just any PSU as apparently each cable is made specifically for that PSU model. I'm extremely cautious with how I treat my current PSU cables and my current build in general. I don't know how strong each cable is or where I can put them without damaging the other components(i.e concerned about stuff like pulling too hard on cables to get them to fit into places I could hide them).

There are 4 PSUs I currently have. How would I go about choosing those fancy cables for these and
- Corsair Semi-Modular ATX CX550M
- EVGA GQ 650W
- Corsair Semi Modular ATX RM850x [Main Focus]
- Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 520W

These are one of the fancy looking cables I'm referring to and a reference of what I see from people(mine looking like the before side).
gIDAUcAKzF6C1mk7.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

bignastyid

Titan
Modular PSU cables are not standardized on the PSU side so you need to make sure cables are compatible with your specific model. Cables can vary between models(and even model revisions). Using the wrong can(and usually does) lead to releasing the magic smoke.

IMHO the best option would be Corsairs cables for the RM850x. The RM850x is also fully modular not semi modular. The regular RMx uses type 4 cables, the newer RMx Shift uses type 5. Corsair sells them in kits and individually.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...pe-4-gen-4-aca-a-blue-cp-8920225#tab-overview

Cablemod would be another option for custom cables.

For the other cables you would either to to hide them or use braided cable sleeves/wraps.

There are many how to videos on youtube for PC cable management where you can get some tips.

Oct 13, 2024
pulling too hard on cables
Most cables and connectors (24pin, 8pin EPS and PCIE) are quite strong, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking them.

How would I go about choosing those fancy cables
Check out Cablemod. They are pricey but the cables look very nice. They let you choose your PSU model to make sure that the cables you buy are compatible with it.

As for cable management tips, there are more qualified people here than me.