[SOLVED] How do I disable the CPU fan?

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Asus PRIME A520M-K

I have a Noctua NH-P1 CPU cooler and am wanting to go fanless.
I was fanless before but have now updated my BIOS firmware. I was quite a way behind. I seem to remember finding it fairly easy before, but can't seem to find it now.

If I unplug it, it tells me I have a CPU fan error and takes me to the BIOS.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi, thanks for the response.
The NH-P1 is designed to be fanless.
I have tried all the options I can find in my BIOS and have been unsuccessful to turn it off.
I managed it before I did the firmware updates.
Having replaced the stock wraith stealth cooler with a fan, with this noctua, my cpu temps were lower.
I have a case fan to remove excess warm air should the cpu start to warm up but that has yet to trigger.

I am using a GE series CPU which is only 35W.
Sorry about that. Since there isn't a fan you are going to get a post fault. With no fan connected to the cpu fan header go into your fan monitors (in bios) and on the cpu fan select "ignore" it should let you post. You have to do this with some water cooler rigs...

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hi,
no. Well, not that i can find.
The chassis fan has pwm and DC option.
Chassis fan also has option for 'Fan off'.

In 'Monitor', there is a bit which states
CPU Q-Fan control. This has options of PWM and disabled. I have tried disabling, but it makes no difference.

Hi,
no. Well, not that i can find.
The chassis fan has pwm and DC option.
Chassis fan also has option for 'Fan off'.

In 'Monitor', there is a bit which states
CPU Q-Fan control. This has options of PWM and disabled. I have tried disabling, but it makes no difference.

Noctua customer service is usually responsive.

Maybe they have dealt with it, since using a fan on that cooler appears to be at your option.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Go into bios and edit your CPU Fan profile. I would never suggest just turning the fan off completely or disabling it. The CPU fan is not only important to keep the CPU within its thermal limits for optimal performance, but also to keep it from damaging itself from that same heat. In an idle state or very low usage it is pretty normal for the "Silent" profile to shut the fan off or maintain very low RPM. But as load increases and the ability for the physical heatsink to shed enough btu (without active airflow) becomes inadequate you really want that fan to do what it is there for. There is a reason the CPU cooler manufactures put it on the heatsink and it isn't for looks.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Go into bios and edit your CPU Fan profile. I would never suggest just turning the fan off completely or disabling it. The CPU fan is not only important to keep the CPU within its thermal limits for optimal performance, but also to keep it from damaging itself from that same heat. In an idle state or very low usage it is pretty normal for the "Silent" profile to shut the fan off or maintain very low RPM. But as load increases and the ability for the physical heatsink to shed enough btu (without active airflow) becomes inadequate you really want that fan to do what it is there for. There is a reason the CPU cooler manufactures put it on the heatsink and it isn't for looks.
I have tried all the options I can find in my BIOS and have been unsuccessful to turn it off.
Having replaced the stock wraith stealth cooler with a fan, with this noctua, my cpu temps were lower.
I have a case fan to remove excess warm air should the cpu start to warm up but that has yet to trigger.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Noctua customer service is usually responsive.

Maybe they have dealt with it, since using a fan on that cooler appears to be at your option.
You were right, they got back to me really quick. I am impressed.
Apparently this is the BIOS manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf?model=PRIME A520M-K

I have also tried fitting a four pin cpu fan in the hopes that it would open up more options.
Up to now I had the three pin chassis fan plugged into the cpu fan connector.
well, first thing I tried was the chassis fan plugged into the chassis fan connector because that worked before.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In bios there will be a switch to disable the cpu no fan detected warning. By default, which happens with every bios upgrade or reset, that switch gets enabled, it's a security override so the cpu will not suffer thermal damage from lack of cooling.

Another way to bypass that is to set the fan cooling curve at 0° until the cpu hits a target temp, such as 80°C, at which point you have the fan turn on at a decent %.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
In bios there will be a switch to disable the cpu no fan detected warning. By default, which happens with every bios upgrade or reset, that switch gets enabled, it's a security override so the cpu will not suffer thermal damage from lack of cooling.

Another way to bypass that is to set the fan cooling curve at 0° until the cpu hits a target temp, such as 80°C, at which point you have the fan turn on at a decent %.
I like your thinking.
I have tried to set the cooling curve to 0% but can't seem to manage that. I went to manual when looking at the fans and it won't let me drag it down below (30% I think it was). In the other settings I tried to reduce the minimum fan speed and I think the lowest it was was 300rpm or something. No zero %.

I tried looking for the 'disable the cpu no fan detected warning' button, but couldn't see it initially.
Can you think what else it might be called so I can do a ctrl+f search of the manual?
I have tried 'warning' 'no fan' 'cpu fan'

jasonf2

Distinguished

Sorry about that. Since there isn't a fan you are going to get a post fault. With no fan connected to the cpu fan header go into your fan monitors (in bios) and on the cpu fan select "ignore" it should let you post. You have to do this with some water cooler rigs sometimes too.

Solution