How do I do it?

G

Ive got an old Olivetti Echos P133S Laptop, that was a frighful mess, so i decided to format the harddrive, so I could start from fresh and install win98. Now comes the stupid part: You can only have one drive at the time,i.e. If i want too use the boot disk that I got that loads cdrom drivers and such, I have to have the 3.5" drive inserted, and thus no cdromdrive to be recognised... so the logical step would be to just copy the contents of the boot-disk to the harddrive, turnoff, switch to cdrom-drive, turn on again, and all is well. I tried that, but then nothing happens, except that when the computer starts the boot sequence, all I get is "I/O error, Bad system disk, remove and try again". So im guessing that there is something missing in the files that are on the boot disk to make them valid for a harddrive boot, except I can't think of what???

Any ideas people?

G

There are 2 ways. If you dont have an external floppy, you must get someone to make you a "boot disk" on cdrom.

BMan33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
idea: make hd bootable by formatting it and then copying command.com, autoexec.bat, config.sys files over from a floppy. then add files for cd rom recognition and reference them in the autoexec.bat.(use ms dos editor to edit autoexec.bat from dos prompt) that way when you turn it on it boots to c: prompt and loads support for the cd rom drive. at that point you can load the cd and go.
PS- you'll need to have a bootable floppy created by win98,se,me, etc that includes the software for the editor program and the format command or an original win95-98 boot disk.

Wherever you go, there you are.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
format your hard drive this way. "format c: /s/q" this will format the hard drive and make it bootable. Then you just have to use the proper autoexec.bat and config.sys files to make your cdrom work. Or if you have the option to boot from a CD then just boot for the cd, solves all these problems.

A mime is a great this to waste! :lol: