Question How do I fix 100% usage when playing game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2019
So for the past 8 months I have been trying to find a solution for when my hard disk is using 100% while playing games, It mostly happens when loading and after loading. It will just stutter so much and then be ok until I get to like a checkpoint or something and it stutters really bad. I have even bought a new hard drive and reinstalled windows and all the drivers. I have no viruses or anything like that. I have read hundreds of threads trying to fix this issue, here are my specs:

Cpu: i5 4670k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus vi hero
Graphics: gtx 1060 3gb
Storage: wd blue 7200 rpm 1tb
Ram: 8gb ddr3 2400 dual channel

Sep 8, 2019
I don't remember. Maybe if I think hard enough but I have a question do you think it could be a driver? I reanstalled windows and downloaded driver easy to install all the drivers. So it can be the drivers right?

I am not a big fan of programs like Driver Easy. There are worse ones, but like most others, Driver Easy makes no guarantee that it is getting you the correct drivers. In fact, if you are not connected to the Internet while it runs a check, it will just give you the closest fit of the drivers it already has. And that is to say nothing for the processes it runs in the background at all times while it is installed, constantly hunting for better drivers, or do it claims. I would recommend you uninstall it and see if anything improves.

Sep 8, 2019
I am not a big fan of programs like Driver Easy. There are worse ones, but like most others, Driver Easy makes no guarantee that it is getting you the correct drivers. In fact, if you are not connected to the Internet while it runs a check, it will just give you the closest fit of the drivers it already has. And that is to say nothing for the processes it runs in the background at all times while it is installed, constantly hunting for better drivers, or do it claims. I would recommend you uninstall it and see if anything improves.
Well you see a few months ago I did just that, reinstalled windows then installed all drivers from the website not easy driver. Didn't work. I only started using easy driver the past couple weeks. By the way I've reinstalled windows countless times. BTW im swapping the hard drive power cord to see if that might help. Also do you know anyone that I can send some benchmark to to see what's wrong. Lastly user benchmark says that my system is performing within top 20% of people with the same specs

Well, I am afraid you might be making the issue more complicated than it is. You have a hard drive. Hard drives are slow. How do you fix that? Get an SSD.

Oh, and the Walmart incident? The start menu is in RAM from people tapping on it all day. Your RAM is full of data from the last game you played. So if you want a second way to make your computer faster, buy another 8 GB of RAM.

Sep 8, 2019
Well, I am afraid you might be making the issue more complicated than it is. You have a hard drive. Hard drives are slow. How do you fix that? Get an SSD.

Oh, and the Walmart incident? The start menu is in RAM from people tapping on it all day. Your RAM is full of data from the last game you played. So if you want a second way to make your computer faster, buy another 8 GB of RAM.
I also have windows 10 laptops at school with 4gb of ram and a 2.5 inch hard drive that don't have this issue. They are on a 64 bit os by the way.

I also have windows 10 laptops at school with 4gb of ram and a 2.5 inch hard drive that don't have this issue. They are on a 64 bit os by the way.

No I meant that their disk usage does spike when opening programs like mine does
Already answered. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. All programs are stored on the hard drive. When first called on, they are loaded into RAM. On your laptop and computers in your lab, you are most likely calling on the same fairly light programs over and over again, so calling on the hard drive is needed very little. On your gaming rig, all of your start menu and web browser sessions are dumped from memory because your games need that space. So when you call on th web browser after gaming, it has to pull the data from the drive again. The solution would be to get for RAM, so that your older activity doesn't have to be dumped, or get an SSD, so that the load from the drive is less noticeable.

Sep 8, 2019
Already answered. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. All programs are stored on the hard drive. When first called on, they are loaded into RAM. On your laptop and computers in your lab, you are most likely calling on the same fairly light programs over and over again, so calling on the hard drive is needed very little. On your gaming rig, all of your start menu and web browser sessions are dumped from memory because your games need that space. So when you call on th web browser after gaming, it has to pull the data from the drive again. The solution would be to get for RAM, so that your older activity doesn't have to be dumped, or get an SSD, so that the load from the drive is less noticeable.
Thanks for explaining that to me. I just want a way for the stuttering to stop. I know an SSD would probably fix it but I know games should run of a hard drive perfectly fine even with 8gb of ram. Also do you recommend that i shut down my computer every night?

Status
Not open for further replies.