Question How do I fix a boot loop when the PC isn't completing POST ?

Aug 11, 2023
My PC has been working fine for about 4 years now (built late 2019) and was fine earlier today but I went to do something and left it running and when I came back a few hours later (I've left it idle for longer by accident and no issue) it was boot looping.

• I've tried wiping CMOS but it had no effect,
  • I've flashed the BIOS to no effect,
  • I've pulled all the ram cards out and reseated them.

Current POST light indicator cycle:
4-5 seconds on DRAM > 3 seconds on CPU > ½ second of being off > 2 seconds on VGA > ½ a second on BOOT before restarting.
immediately after flashing and verifying it was done updating the POST lights reset before reaching BOOT (went to boot after plugging the monitor cable back in)

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3800x
ROG strix X570-E gaming
4x 16 GB DDR4 corsair ram @ 2133 MHz
Nvidia GeForce 2060 Super RTX 8 GB VRAM
1 TB samsung M.2 (contains Windows 10)
2 TB HDD
Corsair RM 850W PSU
2 x Creative Sound Blaster sound cards (they connect to each other but I don'tremember the specific model).
EDIT: Found the model of sound card: Sound Blaster ZxR

I know it isn't a hardware mismatch since my PC has been fine up until now
I do not have a beep speaker connected to the motherboard.
The Q-Code that is thrown is many, stays on "15" during the DRAM check and then rapidly swaps afterwards.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

2 x Creative Sound Blaster sound cards (they connect to each other but I don'tremember the specific model).
You should get to that as soon as you can

Can you remain in BIOS indefinitely? As for your build, try breadboarding with your innards, with the bare minimum.

DeNachtwacht

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
The most common reason besides a firmware update (downloaded and installed in the background in windows) for one of the ssd’s or the soundcards is corrupted ram. First try is always to remove everything and boot as clean as possible (only 1 ram stick, only 1 ssd, no external sound cards that is). When booting is succesful start adding components.

Aug 11, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should get to that as soon as you can

Can you remain in BIOS indefinitely? As for your build, try breadboarding with your innards, with the bare minimum.
It restarts before it shows the "press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS" sadly

I know it isn't a hardware mismatch since my PC has been fine up until now
I do not have a beep speaker connected to the motherboard.
The Q-Code that is thrown is many, stays on "15" during the DRAM check and then rapidly swaps afterwards.
You could also try removing and/or disconnecting all of your drives to help determine whether its a hardware or software problem. If its software, try booting from a usb containing either the windows installer or a linux distro.

Latest posts