Question How do I fix CPU over temperature error after upgrading to 3060 ti

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
I just upgraded to a 3060 ti and my pc would shut off after around 3 minutes of being on. After rebooting it, it would come up saying “CPU Over Temperature Error!” and then shut off again. how do I fix this? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

May 8, 2022
I just upgraded to a 3060 ti and my pc would shut off after around 3 minutes of being on. After rebooting it, it would come up saying “CPU Over Temperature Error!” and then shut off again. how do I fix this? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Pull the processor from the motherboard and add more paste.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes when removing/adding a gpu or ram, or cleaning the cpu cooler fan, it's possible to bump the cpu heatsink. If you've used Arctic Silver 5 or similar paste, and it's 6months± old or more, the paste dries out and that bump can and will break the seal. Being dry, it'll never restick like regular paste would.

It's worth it to pull the heatsink, clean the cooler/cpu and then repaste, don't just add more paste. Even if that doesn't solve the issue, it's one thing checked off the 'possible' list.

Colif

Win 11 Master
where is aio in case? Exhaust or intake?

Add new GPU & CPU over heats... sounds like its exhaust to me. if so, its sucking all the heat from GPU into AIO and that is why CPU is overheating
if so, solution would be to make AIO intake on front of case and then its not sucking heat in from GPU at all.

Reactions: PEnns

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
where is aio in case? Exhaust or intake?

Add new GPU & CPU over heats... sounds like its exhaust to me. if so, its sucking all the heat from GPU into AIO and that is why CPU is overheating
if so, solution would be to make AIO intake on front of case and then its not sucking heat in from GPU at all.
Yes it is exhaust. My cpu was at normal temps when I had my old gpu in. Why has the new gpu caused this dramatic temperature increase.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be the difference in the heat created by a 3060 ti compared to the 1650 Super, since its only change you made. Although that only applies to in game.

what motherbaord is it? I assume all the cables for the AIO are attached.

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
it could be the difference in the heat created by a 3060 ti compared to the 1650 Super, since its only change you made. Although that only applies to in game.

what motherbaord is it? I assume all the cables for the AIO are attached.
It’s an asus b450f gaming. It works with the old gpu but the idle temps are around 55 C when they used to be in the 30s before i had made the gpu switch.

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Could it be air in the pump? this is more a question for others in thread.

Suggestions regarding error: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1043819/

i found a few cases where idle temps were up after adding new GPU.
I’m not sure but it seems to be working fine with the 1650s besides the cpu temps jumping to 50 and back to 30s every few minutes. Don’t know why the new gpu is causing the temps to go to 85 nor how to fix it. My case is the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every few minutes or constantly? What do you use to track temps?
Ryzen CPU never stay same temp, always moving.
So not sure if that is abnormal or not. Depends on what sensor you look at.

One other choice is it could be PSU, since you updated GPU it might be working harder and pushing hot air into case?

Not many results for people adding GPU and CPU temps go up that don't include them playing games., and most answers are move AIO to Intake. It would possibly fix it here too though I don't know why you are getting hot temps at idle.

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Every few minutes or constantly? What do you use to track temps?
Ryzen CPU never stay same temp, always moving.
So not sure if that is abnormal or not. Depends on what sensor you look at.

One other choice is it could be PSU, since you updated GPU it might be working harder and pushing hot air into case?

Not many results for people adding GPU and CPU temps go up that don't include them playing games., and most answers are move AIO to Intake. It would possibly fix it here too though I don't know why you are getting hot temps at idle.
I use hwinfo to track temps. I have a 850 watt 80 plus gold psu. I’ll try and see if moving the aio to the front and making it intake will solve the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Still curious why adding gpu raised CPU temps, even at idle. It shouldn't make any difference on desktop, not like its stressing.

page 3-18 of bios manual shows pump settings, I wouldn't think they change just from installing GPU though - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

I assume the AIO plugged into CPU_OPT on motherboard. although it could be using AIO_PUMP connection near rear fan connector, or both...
need to work out why mb thinks the CPU overheating at boot.
Did you touch the cables at all attaching gpu?