Question How do I fix CPU over temperature error after upgrading to 3060 ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
I just upgraded to a 3060 ti and my pc would shut off after around 3 minutes of being on. After rebooting it, it would come up saying “CPU Over Temperature Error!” and then shut off again. how do I fix this? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Still curious why adding gpu raised CPU temps, even at idle. It shouldn't make any difference on desktop, not like its stressing.

page 3-18 of bios manual shows pump settings, I wouldn't think they change just from installing GPU though - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

I assume the AIO plugged into CPU_OPT on motherboard. although it could be using AIO_PUMP connection near rear fan connector, or both...
need to work out why mb thinks the CPU overheating at boot.
Did you touch the cables at all attaching gpu?
I plugged in an 8 pin cable to my psu, conmected it into the 8 to 12 pin adapter the card came with, put the card in, and plugged it in. Didn’t remove any cables or anything of that sort.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Since it runs fine with the old GPU but overheats with new one: The most likely reason is that the 3060 TI is dumping its excessive heat directly at the CPU.

Re-arranging the fans / air flow, as some have suggested, seems to be the obvious and best solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3060ti wouldn't raise temps that much. It's only 100w+ difference in the cards. A 280mm aio is more than enough to deal with that easily.
I’ve reapplied thermal paste and the temperatures are from 73-85 Celsius before shutting down at 85 Celsius.
3900x don't shutdown at 85°C. Their tdie is 95°C, you can run a 3900x all day long at 85°, that's well within specs.

In bios, set fan and pump control to DC mode and/or enable 100% duty cycle. Run that cooler at max. Make sure (in easy mode, top right corner) that the motherboard is set for Standard not Performance mode. Save and reboot. As soon as windows pops up, disable Cam software. That'll allow bios to retain control of the pump/fans.
If you have the Asus software loaded, disable that too in task manager/services, so they don't activate at boot.

If that allows the pc to stay running, then run HWInfo64. Check the individual core use and temps.

How exactly did you repaste? What procedure?

jdc606

Commendable
May 22, 2020
3060ti wouldn't raise temps that much. It's only 100w+ difference in the cards. A 280mm aio is more than enough to deal with that easily.

3900x don't shutdown at 85°C. Their tdie is 95°C, you can run a 3900x all day long at 85°, that's well within specs.

In bios, set fan and pump control to DC mode and/or enable 100% duty cycle. Run that cooler at max. Make sure (in easy mode, top right corner) that the motherboard is set for Standard not Performance mode. Save and reboot. As soon as windows pops up, disable Cam software. That'll allow bios to retain control of the pump/fans.
If you have the Asus software loaded, disable that too in task manager/services, so they don't activate at boot.

If that allows the pc to stay running, then run HWInfo64. Check the individual core use and temps.

How exactly did you repaste? What procedure?
i did everything you said the cpu temps are around 30-40 idle all across the board (with new gpu). I wiped off the thermal paste and reapplied it with a medium sized dot. Seems to have solved the issue, thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh. It's a Ryzen, not an intel. Definite differences there.

First, Intel at idle drops clocks and voltages equally on all cores. Any background tasks get split up over all the cores, so any service startups show minimal temp changes, the hottest core barely higher than the rest of the cpu.

Ryzen does the opposite. It puts all cores as inactive except 1 core, and it rotates that single core every few seconds. That single core has the full load of every service and startup, so shows a marked raise in temps. That's the Ryzen Bounce. You'll get jumps of 10-20°, but since temp recorders only show hottest you get idle temps of 40-60°, but it's a single core only, not the entire cpu.

Secondly, Intel use a monolithic die. A single rectangular silicon chiplet dead smack central under the IHS. A pea sized blob is perfect to spread around and cover the entire die easily.

Ryzen like the 3900x use 3 chiplets, 1 on left and 2 on right. This puts the memory controller/Lcache and cores a distance from each other, for heat management, they communicate via Infinity Fabric. As such, the chips are all the way up against the edges and corners under the IHS, so pea sized blob very often doesn't cover everything. This leads to runaway temps and shutdowns. The best way to paste a Ryzen is to credit card or spatula spread the blob beforehand, making sure the entire surface of the IHS is covered in a thin, even layer. This guarantees the cores are covered to the edges and corners.

3900x is same as left picture. Drawing a circle, you'll see how corners get missed easily on the double chip side, which is the cores.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just understanding the necessity to throw out years of assumed practical Intel based assumptions and starting from scratch concerning Ryzen architecture and behaviors will put you a large step above many others stuck in the Intel rut 🤣

Ryzen are not Intel. Don't act the same, aren't built the same, don't behave the same, even if the results are similar. 👍