Question How do I fix my NAT Type?

Nov 30, 2020
Sorry if I sound stupid or anything like that, I'm new to all of this stuff. I tried to play some games with my friends, but I cannot see their servers and they can't see mine. When I played alone on GTA it informed about my NAT Type being Strict. I read about it and said there were 3 types, mine is the worst apparently. I searched to fix it and I cannot find a way how, does anyone know how to fix my NAT Type? A lot of people have some routers which have thing very easily explained but I have it very differently [FYI the name is: ZXHN H168N V3.1]. I can access the login screen I just don't know what do?
If anyone needs more information just ask me, I'll try to provide it! Thanks in advance!

You may not be able to fix it. One of the largest reasons for it to be strict is you do not have a public IP assigned to you. Many ISP share the public IP between many customers.

You should be able to tell by looking at the IP assigned to he wan port in your router. You can look up what is public/private but it tends to be easier to see if the IP assigned to the router is the same as the one you see on sites like whatsmyip. If they are different you do not have a public IP and you can not fix the nat type.

Pretty much it is mostly game consoles that have this NAT issue. I guess they have more games that are peer to peer rather than being centrally hosted.

The most common solution is called UPnP. Your router should have the feature on, most times it is on by default. This allows the game console to request the router to allow certain ports dynamacly. This is many times considered moderate nat. To get it open you must port forward the ports manually. Generally you do not need to do that, that is why UPnP was invented. You can also use the DMZ option to forward all ports but that is a security exposure, but it much less when you forward to a game console rather than a PC.

Still step 1 is to see if you have a public or private ip.