Question How do i fix my Windows OS ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
I’ve been having constant troubles with my PC for months, it will go well for a while, then end up having problems a month later, and i mean CONSISTENTLY. at first I’ve been having problems with “kmode_exception_not_handeld” with a Cl.DLL failure. It crashed last week with this error while playing terraria with friends.
Before i go on, all my parts are basically brand new with the exception of a HDD and a GPU; here’s the list

Asus B550 F
1TB Samsung M.2
Corsair 750w PSU
Gtx 1050ti
2x 16GB 3200mhz Corsair vengeance
Seagate 500gb HDD
NZXT cpu cooler
AMD ryzen 5 5600x

I have reset windows 4 times now, 2 of them a few months ago. Twice last night and today (currently trying to reinstall but with better progress)

To be clear in my issues for instillation: the first steps (entering product key, selecting partitions etc.) go by smoothly, it’s until i get to the actual setup, i start having problems. Every time i move my mouse on “select country/region” setup part, it freezes and restarts windows and goes back to the latter. Thinking instillation would fix the cl.dll error, which it will, i reset windows as it wouldn’t be a issue in losing all my files in order to get it fixed 100% with no more issues. i cannot for the life of me figure out what to do. I’m cleaning all my disks parts. as we speak to see if that could be an issue.

I went to Best Buy earlier today, only to waste my time and gas money for them to just take a look at it for 95.99$. I’m not fixing to pay that for a potential small fix. I’ve come to the smarter agents in here to give me hope in what the problem is. Only conclusion i have come to is that it could be my HDD failing in a way, and worst case my brand new RAM not firing right. I’ve been messing with this for days. Please help. Any info you need just ask. I won’t be able to install or test anything within my PC cause well, i can’t even get to the second option for setup. Thank you, I’ll be active all day/night

side note: before i had these problems, when ever i boot into windows and sign in, it would take a while to even get to dashboard, and then once i got in the taskbar wouldn’t work (including windows button) for a good 2-5 minutes. Even though i have a m.2. the newest version at that.

with the windows instillation, it will make my screen cut up in bars so to speak as if it’s glitching, then go to “just a moment” and freeze on the second circle it makes, then go to setup, and if i move my mouse even a nano meter, it crashes and resets, but if i use my keyboard arrows, it still lags and freezes, but goes on to the other set up options at a very slow rate. Once i get to “internet connections” there’s no option other than “i don’t have access to internet” even though i do.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Can you show a screenshot with the error message?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I'd suspect, the error message is little different.
chkdsk /f has to be run from elevated command prompt. On regular command prompt it will give access denied error.
Ahh that makes more sense, well good news on the driver issue, i did “xcopy” cmd and i was booting OFF OF THE DRIVE it’s self, I’m now continuing in the process of installing windows. made my head hurt but I’m one step closer to figuring out the big deal with this girl. “Getting files ready for installation 37%” will come back with further details and will tell if it’s doing the same thing that it did on my m.2( freezing, restart looping, etc.)

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021

chkdsk /f has to be run from elevated command prompt. On regular command prompt it will give access denied error.
Okay now every time i get the installation process done, when asked to restart, it just reboots me into the instillation process again, but not only that, it glitches the heck out when launching to windows instillation, tried it twice now. I do not get this what so ever. Getting very irritated atm. If i try it in my SSS, it’ll just do what it did before.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021

Going to try to change it from UEFI to legacy on my bios and see what difference it makes. Gotta go get a Covid test so I’ll be back shortly to do that

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
My reading of situation is the install that had the cl.dll that you are talking about has been wiped and he is trying to reinstall windows but it won't get past a stage of the install.\

So what cl.dll was is hard to figure out now, and kind of pointless.

I would try to install windows on the hdd and see if you get same problem. take the nvme out first.
I tried HDD, just keeps restarting the process even though it goes through the featured updates and what not. After that it just restarts me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay now every time i get the installation process done, when asked to restart, it just reboots me into the instillation process again,
that can happen if you have usb as 1st item in boot order. You shouldn't have anything in boot order yet, and instead use Boot override that is on the boot tab - just scroll down.
Put usb in PC
go into bios and go to boot tab
scroll down and choose boot override
choose USB from list, PC will restart and use the USB One time, and then it should use the HDD or ssd

I would show you the item in your manual but Asus, like many MB makers, doesn't show all the BIOS commands in the B550 boards, but does in the X570 boards
See page 3-18 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Its 8am here, I been awake all night so my ability to help is limited.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
that can happen if you have usb as 1st item in boot order. You shouldn't have anything in boot order yet, and instead use Boot override that is on the boot tab - just scroll down.
Put usb in PC
choose USB from list, PC will restart and use the USB One time, and then it should use the HDD or ssd

I would show you the item in your manual but Asus, like many MB makers, doesn't show all the BIOS commands in the B550 boards, but does in the X570 boards
See page 3-18 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15827_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_v2_WEB.pdf

Put usb in PC

Ain’t this swell. Plugged in my M.2 and worked for a little bit, turned off CSM and UEFI, changed it back and now the thing won’t show up. Every time i do something it just get worse and worse. This would be the 3rd time 4 months buying a new m.2 if i have to. And also no to mention, every time i change something in the bios and restart, my VGA light stays on. So i have to unplug and reply back in EVERY time i reset. This is getting incredibly frustrating

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Put usb in PC

Okay, just making sure i should be using “UEFI: sandisk, partition 1 (32.0gb)”
Instead of “sandisk (32.0GB)” correct?

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
And why are you doing that?

You can't just change from UEFI mode to CSM mode randomly. This requires re-installation of windows.
Back at square one. At languages set up and every time i move the mouse it freezes. then restarts. Takes a long time on a black screen, loads to “just a moment” freezes on there, then goes to settings. to only do it again. Last time i did this i got onto my desk top but it took a while for it to load completely.

Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Clean target drive before installing (this removes all data from it, so make a backup, if anything needs to be saved).

undo-diskpart.png

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Clean target drive before installing (this removes all data from it, so make a backup, if anything needs to be saved).

undo-diskpart.png
Do i need to delete partitions before going to CMD, i can only assume i do. Sorry for the snarky remark. very frustrated. Less frustrated now since I’m back to where i was surprisingly

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Diskpart clean - removes everything from the drive.
There's no need to delete anything. Everything is removed anyway.
So i did that, and it’s still freezing and restarting. Dumb question but you think it could be my mouse? I just unplugged it and gonna restart PC here in a sec.

Side note: after first part of install it’s been flashing black and white and then going to “just a moment” and keeps doing that like it’s in a loop.
I’m now at a screen saying “why did my PC restart?”
I did see that my Ethernet cable wasn’t plugged in, it says it’s going to do an update when clicking “next” so I’m going to see what that does for me. Will update, lmk if you got anything!

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
I am going to go through this install process one more time trying this method i read on an old forum:” plug in USB and boot, select “i don’t have a key” and delete all partitions to get unallocated space, once done in “finishing up” process, once the countdown from 10> remove USB drive from the PC, and let it reboot.”
I thought I’ve done this before but i guess it wouldn’t hurt to try it. Will come back with further details.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Could there be a virus on my SSD? i don’t see how considering i had the windows virus threat protection, and never got a notification for it. Nor did i download anything risky. at least I’m pretty sure, this PC is strictly for gaming/streaming. (Games like OSU!, CSGO, apex, bf2042, tarkov.)

how should i check that via executable virus detection/cleaner?

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Put usb in PC

Question, could this be a graphics card issue? Would i need to install VGA drivers from asus site to get it running well? I read up on a windows thread and this guy solved it him self saying “I’ve come to the conclusion
Put usb in PC

question, could it be my GPU causing issues? should i download the latest VGA drivers from the asus site? This guy on Microsoft assistance said quote:
“Hi

I already identify the source of my problem, is an incompatibility of drivers for my dedicated graphic card. I already expose this issue to Nvidia.

Thanks for the help.”
I also have Nvidia. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Question, could this be a graphics card issue? Would i need to install VGA drivers from asus site to get it running well? I read up on a windows thread and this guy solved it him self saying “I’ve come to the conclusion

question, could it be my GPU causing issues? should i download the latest VGA drivers from the asus site? This guy on Microsoft assistance said quote:
“Hi

I already identify the source of my problem, is an incompatibility of drivers for my dedicated graphic card. I already expose this issue to Nvidia.

Thanks for the help.”
I also have Nvidia. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try.
Idk y it sent like that but okay

Gingyfpss

Great
Jul 17, 2021
Idk y it sent like that but okay
So idk if this is a issue, but i formatted my M.2 to NTFS, and my usb drive to Fat32. And apparently i should be using UEFI instead of legacy. so I’ve formatted my m.2 to fat32 as equals to my usb drive, and I’ll be changing boot to UEFI, would this be a correct process to do? I feel as if i havnt set my bios/drive settings correctly, so it’s doing what it is Doing because of that.

but i formatted my M.2 to NTFS, and my usb drive to Fat32. And apparently i should be using UEFI instead of legacy. so I’ve formatted my m.2 to fat32 as equals to my usb drive, and I’ll be changing boot to UEFI, would this be a correct process to do?
No - wrong. Clean M.2 drive with diskpart clean as shown in post #40.
Windows installation will partition and format your M.2 drive as necessary. You do not have to format anything.