[SOLVED] How do I format external hard drive to FAT32 for PlayStation 3?

Feb 15, 2022
Hey guys. Hopefully this is the right forum to post my question so here goes!

I have watched various YT videos prior to reaching out here but am having some difficulties with this. I am trying to format a 500gb external hard drive to use in conjunction with my Sony PlayStation 3 console in order to back up my data from the console. I do know that the drive has to be formatted to FAT32 in order for the PlayStation to recognize the storage. I would like to create a disk to use as much Space of the 500gb as I need after converting to FAT32 but the problem I am running into is that I can only seem to get my PlayStation to recognize about 30gb of space. I created a separate partition amounting to roughly 30gb on my hard external hard drive after watching a YT video in which the user said that the PlayStation will only recognize separate amounts of 30gb each. So.. I created one partition of 30gb to see if it would show up, which it did but my problem is that I need more than 30gb to back up my data and EVEN AFTER creating a second partition of 30gb FAT32, only the first partition shoes up. I need serious help. Thanks.

Solution
Exfat doesn't work on PS3 full stop.

That 32gb formatting limit is a limit enforced only by native windows formatting.

I've had 4tb drives formatted as fat32 using easus partition manager.

Fat32 format can do upto 2tb drives and is a simple one click solution pretty much.

The PS3 can only see the first partition on a drive hence your issue with multiple partitions.
Windows doesn't allow volumes larger than 32GB to be formatted as fat32.
But you can use 3rd party partition management tools to do that.
Use Minitool Partition Wizard free.
Fat32 is not very efficient on large volumes though.

You should probably use exFAT instead. Your PlayStation should support that.

Exfat doesn't work on PS3 full stop.

That 32gb formatting limit is a limit enforced only by native windows formatting.

I've had 4tb drives formatted as fat32 using easus partition manager.

Fat32 format can do upto 2tb drives and is a simple one click solution pretty much.

The PS3 can only see the first partition on a drive hence your issue with multiple partitions.

Solution