Question How do i get my CPU temps down ?

Jan 15, 2023
Hello. My old pc died because it got to hot, so recently i bought a new pc and one of the first things i did was checking what temperatures it would reach, because i dont want that to happen again and just by doing a simple task like running Windows full virus scan it was reaching +90 degrees celcius and ive been researching and from what i undertand your CPU shouldnt reach higher that 80 degrees celcius under maximum load, so i contacted the shop where i bought it and Intel about it and Intel told me to update the BIOS (i did that and it didnt fix the problem) they then said that if it didnt fix the problem, both them and the shop told me to change the CPU with a new one of same model (i7-12700F) and get a better CPU cooler instead of the stock one and no matter what i will change the CPU, because i obviously dont want a CPU that there is something wrong with, but id like to save the money for a new CPU cooler for something else, if its possible.

So my question is if there is any way for me to get my CPU down in temperature without changing the cooler, without loosing performance and my pc being to loud, i have set my fans to go to 100 at 50 degrees celcius in BIOS, but i still hit +81 degrees celcius doing virus scan, i can then set my pc in power saver mode and it will only 64 degrees celcius doing a scan, but that takes off way to much performance i think ? id like to have my pc on either balanced or high performance. Also Intel is telling me that i need a cooler with at least 180 watt, but the shop where i bought the pc is saying that BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 is more than enough (its less than 180 watt though) and im thinking Intel is right, since they made the CPU, so they should know best, but i want to hear other peoples opinion on that aswell.

Reactions: Patrick7
Dec 26, 2022
Honestly I'm sure there are greater experts on here than me but I JUST modded my son's PC because his room alone felt hot from his pc running so hot. I simply upgraded his heat sink to a liquid cooler and the difference was like 20-30 degrees. He was running like 70 degrees Celsius before and now runs like 45 so for me that's what helped. I'm sure there are other things others can suggest but just speaking from recent 2 weeks ago experience good luck 🙂👍

Reactions: BossSiggy and PEnns

sonofjesse

Distinguished
A PC should shut off before it kills the CPU in my experience.

If your going AIR cooling always put the largest one you can fit on the CPU. DeepKool AK620 and Fuma 2 revision 2 are great choices.

When using a PC very hard yes you will hit higher temps.

Also be sure your room is cool that helps a lot if your house is 90F, your not going to get good temps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Any cpu uses a certain amount of power for a particular load. The cpu cooler is responsible for absorbing the excess radiated heat and dissipating it. Size, type, efficiency doesn't make a difference. If the cooler is having to dissipate 100w from the cpu, it's 100w.

A 360mm aio will dissipate the same 100w as a tiny Intel stock cooler, the difference being the temp of the cpu, which is not the temp of the cooler output. The only reason the output 'feels' cooler on a larger aio is that the 100w is spread over a larger area, it's still concentrated on the tiny cooler.

Honestly I'm sure there are greater experts on here than me but I JUST modded my son's PC because his room alone felt hot from his pc running so hot. I simply upgraded his heat sink to a liquid cooler and the difference was like 20-30 degrees. He was running like 70 degrees Celsius before and now runs like 45 so for me that's what helped. I'm sure there are other things others can suggest but just speaking from recent 2 weeks ago experience good luck 🙂👍
FYI the CPU will put out the same amount of heat(maybe more due to higher frequencies due to the cooler running cpu) into the room. Watts is watts.

Jan 15, 2023

Yeah i know liquid coolers are the best and i might also get that, but im hoping that i can do something that wont cost me money, otherwise what you are saying is the best option for sure.

A PC should shut off before it kills the CPU in my experience.

If your going AIR cooling always put the largest one you can fit on the CPU. DeepKool AK620 and Fuma 2 revision 2 are great choices.

When using a PC very hard yes you will hit higher temps.

Also be sure your room is cool that helps a lot if your house is 90F, your not going to get good temps.

Most pc's have something build in that if they hit way to high temperatures they shut down, i havent tryed that though, but ive also not hit 100 degrees celcius.

I know that when your pc is under pressure it hits higher degrees, but running anti virus shouldnt do that.

my room is not to hot, so thats not the issue.

Any cpu uses a certain amount of power for a particular load. The cpu cooler is responsible for absorbing the excess radiated heat and dissipating it. Size, type, efficiency doesn't make a difference. If the cooler is having to dissipate 100w from the cpu, it's 100w.

A 360mm aio will dissipate the same 100w as a tiny Intel stock cooler, the difference being the temp of the cpu, which is not the temp of the cooler output. The only reason the output 'feels' cooler on a larger aio is that the 100w is spread over a larger area, it's still concentrated on the tiny cooler.

Okay so what you are saying is that it wont help changing the cooler/fan ? From what i understand that is a normal solution ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a proponent of liquid cooling, have been for 20 odd years. As such, I'll say this. Liquid cooling isn't any better than air cooling. In their respective ranges. A Corsair H60i is identical in performance to a CM Hyper212 Evo. Big Air twin towers are the same as a 240mm AIO.

Liquid just has advantages in some areas over Air, just as it has drawbacks. And vice versa. The exact advantages or disadvantages or performance is entirely on the actual model of cooler.

It would be most helpful if you listed the make/model of all of your parts.
Without that, suggestions are just speculations.

A Intel processor should slow down or even shut off to protect itself if it senses a dangerous temperature.
That point is around 100c.

Run HWmonitor and your normal workload.
It will record the current, minimum and maximum temperatures.
Look at the minimum temperature. At idle, when nothing is going on, an air cooler should show 10-15c. over ambient if it is functioning and mounted well. Ambient is not room temperature, it is the temperature inside the case.

Run a simple cpu-Z stress test.
It will load all cores with commonly used instructions.
You should see a max of 100c on a couple pf performance cores. If 100c. is in red, it means that the cpu throttled.
So long as you keep running, that is not all bad. It simply means that the cpu is working as strongly as it can given the cooling available.

As to liquid vs. air, a good air cooler will perform about as well as a 240 sized aio.
To do better, it requires a 360 sized aio and a case that can accommodate such.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
From what I know, that cooler may be just about good enough for the CPU, but it is quite important to have proper air-flow in the PC case. And if you have that air-flow, and are sure that the thermal paste was applied properly, then it may be that the cooler in use is not good enough.

In any case, there is no workaround to lower a CPU temp without lowering its performance, as the performance is what it makes heat up.

Reactions: BossSiggy
Jan 15, 2023

A Intel processor should slow down or even shut off to protect itself if it senses a dangerous temperature.

Look at the minimum temperature. At idle, when nothing is going on, an air cooler should show 10-15c. over ambient if it is functioning and mounted well. Ambient is not room temperature, it is the temperature inside the case.

You should see a max of 100c on a couple pf performance cores. If 100c. is in red, it means that the cpu throttled.
So long as you keep running, that is not all bad. It simply means that the cpu is working as strongly as it can given the cooling available.

As to liquid vs. air, a good air cooler will perform about as well as a 240 sized aio.

I can try and give you the info of all my parts.

the case is NZXT H510
cpu: Intel i7 12700F with stock cooler
16 GB RAM (i think its DDR4, but im not sure and i dont know where to check that)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
2x 2 TB SSD KINGSTON SNVS2000G

isnt that the specs that people want to know ? If im missing something, let me know and i will see if i can find out more about my specs.

yeah my old pc would hit 100 degrees celcius and it didnt shut down, but it would just stop working and then i had to manually shut it down and start it again and then after a while of that i started getting something smart status bad error or something like that and found out it was because my SATA HD in it was broken.

i will download HWmonitor now, but cant Cinebench do the same as CPU-Z ? thats what i used to begin with when i wanted to check my CPU's temperature, then the guy that owns the shop where i bought the pc said that it wasnt a good way to check if my temperature was to high, because Cinebench would stress my pc to the max and because of that it would show that it was to hot and that i should pay notice to my CPU's temperature when doing the stuff i normally use my pc for and the only thing that makes it go over 80 degrees celcius is when i run anti virus of my normal stuff.

the only 2 coolers i can get from the shop is either BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 or CORSAIR H100x WATERCOOLER, 240MM. But the owner says i should go with BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2, because the other one is overkill and to expensive in he's opinion.

From what I know, that cooler may be just about good enough for the CPU, but it is quite important to have proper air-flow in the PC case. And if you have that air-flow, and are sure that the thermal paste was applied properly, then it may be that the cooler in use is not good enough.

In any case, there is no workaround to lower a CPU temp without lowering its performance, as the performance is what it makes heat up.

how do i know if i have proper air flow ? its a pc shop that custom makes every pc pretty much and the case is: NZXT H510, i can take a picture of inside the pc if you want me to ? I dont know about the thermal paste though, but im guessing that since they custom make every pc that they add thermal paste ?

Jan 15, 2023

Okay so i dl HWMonitor and i will put in a picture of my ''normal'' workload, i only have google chrome with 17 windows open and then PrivadoVPN, Spotify, ZoneAlarm, CoreTemp and Intel Driver Support Assistant open down in the right corner and a few documents and then i will add a picture of after ive done a full virus scan aswell and the CPU-Z stuff i'll unfortunately have to do tomorrow, because im running late, but i'll post some more scr shots after i get the CPU-Z stuff done tomorrow. I just realised i cant add images in here or attach pictures ? Oh well i'll just write it manually, under the ''normal'' workload the temperatures is: between 31 and 34, minimum is between 29 and 31 and max is on package is 50, 44 on p-cores and 37 on e-cores. Then after running the virus scan the max on on package goes to 87, p-cores goes to 89 and e-cores goes to 67 degrees celcius.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a 12700F with stock cooler. So what you are getting is temps appropriate for a stock cooler. At PL1, that cpu can hit 165w, at PL2 max turbo it can hit 240w. That's Big Air / 240mm AIO minimum territory and it'd still be warm under an all core max turbo. To get temps down to the 'old Standby safe temp' of @ 70°C, you'd be looking at a 280mm/360mm AIO.

For good max temps, it's advised to do a minimum of 1.5x the wattage. For best temps under those kinds of loads, 2x wattage. Stock coolers are barely over 1.0x, if that much, so uber heavy loads like stress tests, renders, compiles, cinebench or Prime95 can generally have no issues putting a stock cooler to 100°C and throttling.

Stock coolers are designed for manageable temps at nominal use, Photoshop or light gaming or web surfing. Not stress tests or rendering or other excessive loads for excessive time periods.

Your temps are normal for what you have, to get better will require better cooling.

You have a 12700F with stock cooler. So what you are getting is temps appropriate for a stock cooler. At PL1, that cpu can hit 165w, at PL2 max turbo it can hit 240w. That's Big Air / 240mm AIO minimum territory and it'd still be warm under an all core max turbo. To get temps down to the 'old Standby safe temp' of @ 70°C, you'd be looking at a 280mm/360mm AIO.

For good max temps, it's advised to do a minimum of 1.5x the wattage. For best temps under those kinds of loads, 2x wattage. Stock coolers are barely over 1.0x, if that much, so uber heavy loads like stress tests, renders, compiles, cinebench or Prime95 can generally have no issues putting a stock cooler to 100°C and throttling.

Stock coolers are designed for manageable temps at nominal use, Photoshop or light gaming or web surfing. Not stress tests or rendering or other excessive loads for excessive time periods.

Your temps are normal for what you have, to get better will require better cooling.

This is your answer, all you need to know.

Jan 15, 2023

I dont understand much of what you are writing, i guess my knowledge about coolers is showing here. But what i think i do understand is that you are sayingf there is nothing wrong with my CPU even though Intel is saying that and i shouldnt worry about my temperatures ? If im just using it for my normal workload ? i could change to looking at a 280mm/360mm AIO if i really want to go under 80 degrees celcius in any situation though ?

As an owner of the H510 case, is not designed for a 280 AIO at all. NZXT shows pretty pictures of a 280 mounted on the front yet the case is not meshed on the front, it's a solid front. Proper airflow is not provided with the H510 for a front mounted radiator to perform properly.

AIO does have benefits but it's biggest issue for me is lifetime. AIO have to be replaced, air coolers last forever.

With that said it still is a good case if set up properly. In your situation I would suggest an air cooler. For $36 the Peerless Assassin is one of the best choices and at only 150mm tall will also fit in the h510 case.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

how do i know if i have proper air flow ? its a pc shop that custom makes every pc pretty much and the case is: NZXT H510, i can take a picture of inside the pc if you want me to ?
Proper air flow (suitable for gaming grade computer like yours) requires
pc case with mesh front,​
large intake front fans,​
exhaust fan ar rear of the case.​
Your case has closed front. This impedes airflow significantly.
How many fans do you have installed in your pc case?

If removal of closed front panel is not possible, then I'd suggest you replace the case.

Please make a photo of your system with side panel removed.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If removal of closed front panel is not possible, then I'd suggest you replace the case.

He does not need a new case to get better performance, just a proper cpu cooler vs the stock cooler.

mvPZg5Z.jpg

It's funny when people get on a bandwagon about something without having actual firsthand knowledge of the product.

The H510 is a negative pressure design. It will work with the OP's current hardware.

Simply get a better cpu cooler and the problem is solved.

And back to the AIO question. The Corsair AIO is going on 4 years old. It has worked great with the 3800x and no complaints. But with the limited lifetime of an AIO I'm about to replace the H60 AIO with the AK400 air cooler. This is another line ofvery good coolers from DeepCool.

Never had any throttling or temperature issues whatsoever with the 3800x and 2070S in the H510.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022
Just get Noctua NH-D15 and stop worrying about temperatures

Jan 15, 2023
As an owner of the H510 case, is not designed for a 280 AIO at all. NZXT shows pretty pictures of a 280 mounted on the front yet the case is not meshed on the front, it's a solid front. Proper airflow is not provided with the H510 for a front mounted radiator to perform properly.

AIO does have benefits but it's biggest issue for me is lifetime. AIO have to be replaced, air coolers last forever.

With that said it still is a good case if set up properly. In your situation I would suggest an air cooler. For $36 the Peerless Assassin is one of the best choices and at only 150mm tall will also fit in the h510 case.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se
Yeah i have decided not to get an AIO cooler, after talking with alot of people about coolers, it seems like they need way more maintenance, repairing, they dont last as long and cost extra and that they are not even better than air coolers. The problem with the cooler you are mentioning is that the shop im buying from only have this CPU cooler BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 and i dont want to put it on myself, so if i buy this one they can do that for me, but it has to be good enough, otherwise it doesnt matter, so do you think it would be good enough to get under 80 degrees celcius ?

Jan 15, 2023
I would also note that you're not going to make a room cooler with better CPU cooling. CPU coolers aren't air conditioners, they cool by moving heat to the outside environment more efficiently.
Im not trying to make my room cooler, only my CPU, the temperature of my room is fine, i live in Denmark where we have weather with up to -15 degrees celcius in the winter and a maximum of 30 degrees celcius in the summer.

Jan 15, 2023

I dont use my pc for gaming, my normal workload is: PrivadoVPN, Spotify, ZoneAlarm, CoreTemp and Intel Driver Support Assistant open down in the right corner and a few documents

but yeah i heard people say that i need 2 intake front fans.i already have a rear fan and a fan at the top of the case and then stock CPU cooler and you cant remove the front of the pc. What case would you recommend ?

you can see picture of my system here: https://www.tenforums.com/pc-custom...50-how-do-i-get-my-cpu-down-temperatures.html

Jan 15, 2023
He does not need a new case to get better performance, just a proper cpu cooler vs the stock cooler.

mvPZg5Z.jpg

It's funny when people get on a bandwagon about something without having actual firsthand knowledge of the product.

The H510 is a negative pressure design. It will work with the OP's current hardware.

Simply get a better cpu cooler and the problem is solved.

And back to the AIO question. The Corsair AIO is going on 4 years old. It has worked great with the 3800x and no complaints. But with the limited lifetime of an AIO I'm about to replace the H60 AIO with the AK400 air cooler. This is another line ofvery good coolers from DeepCool.

Never had any throttling or temperature issues whatsoever with the 3800x and 2070S in the H510.
Yeah other people are saying that i just need to replace the stock cooler with a better cooler aswell, but im hearing alot of different opinions, so its hard to decide, but i mean you have the same case as me, your opinion is definitely a valid opinion and i like your white case better than mine, im just scared its gonna look dirty quickly, but yours looks new and fresh, is it easy to maintain keeping it like that ?

Reactions: GarrettL

TRENDING THREADS