Question How do i get my CPU temps down ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 15, 2023
Hello. My old pc died because it got to hot, so recently i bought a new pc and one of the first things i did was checking what temperatures it would reach, because i dont want that to happen again and just by doing a simple task like running Windows full virus scan it was reaching +90 degrees celcius and ive been researching and from what i undertand your CPU shouldnt reach higher that 80 degrees celcius under maximum load, so i contacted the shop where i bought it and Intel about it and Intel told me to update the BIOS (i did that and it didnt fix the problem) they then said that if it didnt fix the problem, both them and the shop told me to change the CPU with a new one of same model (i7-12700F) and get a better CPU cooler instead of the stock one and no matter what i will change the CPU, because i obviously dont want a CPU that there is something wrong with, but id like to save the money for a new CPU cooler for something else, if its possible.

So my question is if there is any way for me to get my CPU down in temperature without changing the cooler, without loosing performance and my pc being to loud, i have set my fans to go to 100 at 50 degrees celcius in BIOS, but i still hit +81 degrees celcius doing virus scan, i can then set my pc in power saver mode and it will only 64 degrees celcius doing a scan, but that takes off way to much performance i think ? id like to have my pc on either balanced or high performance. Also Intel is telling me that i need a cooler with at least 180 watt, but the shop where i bought the pc is saying that BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 is more than enough (its less than 180 watt though) and im thinking Intel is right, since they made the CPU, so they should know best, but i want to hear other peoples opinion on that aswell.

Reactions: Patrick7
Jan 15, 2023
Just get Noctua NH-D15 and stop worrying about temperatures

what about BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 ? Thats the only one CPU cooler the shop i buy from have and id like them to install it, so that i dont have to do that.

Yeah other people are saying that i just need to replace the stock cooler with a better cooler aswell, but im hearing alot of different opinions, so its hard to decide, but i mean you have the same case as me, your opinion is definitely a valid opinion and i like your white case better than mine, im just scared its gonna look dirty quickly, but yours looks new and fresh, is it easy to maintain keeping it like that ?

Yup, after 3 years still looks great.

Reactions: BossSiggy

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can't believe you are still messing around with ZoneAlarm. That program was fraught with bugs, discrepancies, false alarms, had a nasty habit of allowing deletion of necessary files and opened up far to many backdoor accesses. It was a quite popular program back in the 90's until ppl realized what a pain it could be.

Might help to think of coolers like autos. Intel says you've got a 4 door car, so it'll fit 5 adults somewhat ok and not really affect the drivability. However, if you plan on 5 large, overweight adults, a trunk full of potting soil and toting a camper, you'd be better off with a big truck instead or the rear bumper will be hitting the road.

Basically the cooler needs to match up with the workload and power requirements of the cpu. Intel says your cooler works within Intels limits, that may or may no coincidence with your expectations. You can generally squeeze 5 adults into a 4 door car, but nobody likes sitting on the hump and the backseat will be crowded for space and ppl in the front seat will be moving the seat far forwards, uncomfortably so for tall ppl.

Specific coolers in a class range may or may not have advantages over competitors, the beQuiet series is known for high quality, good temps and quiet operation at a competitive price. Noctua is a step up, but so is the price. But in their class, they offer roughly the same performance, as can cheaper coolers.

Jan 15, 2023
Can't believe you are still messing around with ZoneAlarm. That program was fraught with bugs, discrepancies, false alarms, had a nasty habit of allowing deletion of necessary files and opened up far to many backdoor accesses. It was a quite popular program back in the 90's until ppl realized what a pain it could be.

Might help to think of coolers like autos. Intel says you've got a 4 door car, so it'll fit 5 adults somewhat ok and not really affect the drivability. However, if you plan on 5 large, overweight adults, a trunk full of potting soil and toting a camper, you'd be better off with a big truck instead or the rear bumper will be hitting the road.

Basically the cooler needs to match up with the workload and power requirements of the cpu. Intel says your cooler works within Intels limits, that may or may no coincidence with your expectations. You can generally squeeze 5 adults into a 4 door car, but nobody likes sitting on the hump and the backseat will be crowded for space and ppl in the front seat will be moving the seat far forwards, uncomfortably so for tall ppl.

Specific coolers in a class range may or may not have advantages over competitors, the beQuiet series is known for high quality, good temps and quiet operation at a competitive price. Noctua is a step up, but so is the price. But in their class, they offer roughly the same performance, as can cheaper coolers.

i googled best free firewall or something like that and thats what most sites recommended, so thats why i went with it.

but yeah okay i get your point and im probably gonna go with Be Quiet, if its not good enough, i will get another CPU cooler and also change where im buying pc's and parts from.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. That's Intel specs. That's not MSI or Gigabyte or Asus bios settings. Boards generally ignore Intel recommended specs when it comes to OC, and turbo or boost is a factory authorized OC. It's not uncommon for a 12700F to hit above 200w, upto @ 240w in PL2, because the motherboard is dumping higher voltages/current at the cpu than Intel tested at.

That's done purposely by mobo vendors for one simple reason. They like to advertise that their mobo will give higher performance than the competition. For instance, the PBO settings on an MSI Godlike X570 board are 1000w, 1000A etc, which is basically impossible to even come close to, even with LN2 cooling.

Many older i3's were rated by Intel as being 50-55w, yet even when pushed wouldn't see that limit. The i5-3570k is 74w and averaged about that, but the i7-3770K is 77w and often well exceeded that in a full core workload.

Intel rates the i9-12900k as a 125w cpu... 🤣

Jan 15, 2023
No. That's Intel specs. That's not MSI or Gigabyte or Asus bios settings. Boards generally ignore Intel recommended specs when it comes to OC, and turbo or boost is a factory authorized OC. It's not uncommon for a 12700F to hit above 200w, upto @ 240w in PL2, because the motherboard is dumping higher voltages/current at the cpu than Intel tested at.

That's done purposely by mobo vendors for one simple reason. They like to advertise that their mobo will give higher performance than the competition. For instance, the PBO settings on an MSI Godlike X570 board are 1000w, 1000A etc, which is basically impossible to even come close to, even with LN2 cooling.

Many older i3's were rated by Intel as being 50-55w, yet even when pushed wouldn't see that limit. The i5-3570k is 74w and averaged about that, but the i7-3770K is 77w and often well exceeded that in a full core workload.

Intel rates the i9-12900k as a 125w cpu... 🤣

Okay so basically you cant trust what pc companies are saying about watts ? How do people know what to go after then ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Okay so basically you cant trust what pc companies are saying about watts ? How do people know what to go after then ?
Research. And lots of it. It's a pain at times, but many enjoy reading the reviews, which is only fair since someone took the time to test it, compile results etc.

And no, always take what pc companies say with a grain (or three) of salt. They'll never bald-face lie about stuff, but there are plenty of exaggerations etc. They all claim High Performance, faster or better than competitors, but realistically that's impossible... If MSI and Gigabyte both claim that 240w PL2 as being the fastest cpu, somewhere in the print so fine its illegible will be an asterisk saying compared to Intel specs or a lower grade mobo etc.

Psus are the biggest culprits, they'll claim 700w output, but may only have a single 6pin pcie, the 700w being the total of all the rails combined, at maximum peak at 20°C , not sustained or constant use or even a decent 50°C. In reality, it's a 350w psu at best, and fails if the 12v rail is pushed beyond 50%.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Advertising and claims are quite often not actual fact, they will only apply under certain circumstances or situations or points of view.

Jan 15, 2023
Research. And lots of it. It's a pain at times, but many enjoy reading the reviews, which is only fair since someone took the time to test it, compile results etc.

And no, always take what pc companies say with a grain (or three) of salt. They'll never bald-face lie about stuff, but there are plenty of exaggerations etc. They all claim High Performance, faster or better than competitors, but realistically that's impossible... If MSI and Gigabyte both claim that 240w PL2 as being the fastest cpu, somewhere in the print so fine its illegible will be an asterisk saying compared to Intel specs or a lower grade mobo etc.

Psus are the biggest culprits, they'll claim 700w output, but may only have a single 6pin pcie, the 700w being the total of all the rails combined, at maximum peak at 20°C , not sustained or constant use or even a decent 50°C. In reality, it's a 350w psu at best, and fails if the 12v rail is pushed beyond 50%.

Advertising and claims are quite often not actual fact, they will only apply under certain circumstances or situations or points of view.
Yeah that sounds like pain, when you pay alot of money for a pc or hardware, you are expecting everything to work perfect, but if the stats shown are not the correct stats, then that can cause alot of problems for someone just reading the stats and buying new hardware from reading those stats, ending up destroying something, then having to contact the company you bought it from and get new hardware or your money back. Pesonally i dont enjoy doing research, i do it alot, but thats because im gonna end up enjoying it more after im done with the research. To me exaggerations is like lying.

Jan 15, 2023

Wow none of the PSU's could give the watt promised in that test ..

Jan 15, 2023
Exactly. Dodge says my car will do 0-60mp/h in 5.0 seconds, but that only happens with the right tires, on the right road, at the right temperature and weather conditions. Otherwise it's generally closer to 6.0 seconds.

So not really a lie, but not really reality either.
Yeah thats not a lie, but a truth that doesnt happen so often you could say.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Brian D Smith

Prominent
Mar 13, 2022
Yeah i have decided not to get an AIO cooler, after talking with alot of people about coolers, it seems like they need way more maintenance, repairing, they dont last as long and cost extra and that they are not even better than air coolers.
And here we have the uncomfortable truth for both Intel and AMD in their top line processors: The need for water cooling...which your average consumer does NOT want to have to do. It is (understandably) a non-starter for most. While the question here is not about the current top line processors of each, it's the same issue. It is also the reason we see the big interest in underclocking those as you can get 80%+ of the performance with a lot less heat being generated. I feel the posters pain as someone looking to buy a new system myself.

Reactions: GarrettL

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The need for water cooling...which your average consumer does NOT want to have to do. It is (understandably) a non-starter for most.
Any psychologist will tell you that ppl are only scared of that which they don't understand. They have zero understanding of the chemicals used in liquid cooling, the majority of loops using distilled water, which is Not electrically conductive.
It is also the reason we see the big interest in underclocking those as you can get 80%+ of the performance
Why would someone spend an extra $100-$300 on an oversized, flagship cpu, only to limit it to 80% performance. Be far more cost effective, cheaper, easier to buy a xx600k and decent cooler than a xx900k that then gets castrated but similar performance, just because of lack of education or research.

AIO's do not require any more maintenance, nor do they require 'fixing' any more often than an aircooler. As for longetivity, yes, an air cooler can potentially last longer, but realistically there's very few who actually continue to use their old aircooler. The biggest problem is they bought a 9600k 5 years ago and paired it with a budget air cooler. Now with the upgrade, they are looking at higher wattage, larger heatsink requirements, so will buy another cooler, and generally spend an extra $50-$300 on additional RGB because the case only came with 2 fans. For many 'gamers', the total cost of a big aircooler and fans is actually more than a 360mm aio, which comes with fans.

Air or liquid is only a matter of personal choice, each has advantages and disadvantages, the choice should be based on needs and wants and what the owner can live with, not hearsay gossip.

Everything made by man has a failure rate. The failure rate of AIO's is @ 0.1%. So if Corsair sold 1M aios last year, that's 1000 ppl with an issue. For 90% of those failures, it was a user/installer error, fan quit, pump failed, bought the wrong size, got freaked out by others etc. That leaves 100 ppl who have a genuine factory leak, 90% of which was nothing more than a dribble from a fitting, but a leak non the less. That leaves 10 ppl who had a major failure. Out of those 10 ppl, 1 person made a video about how the aio destroyed his pc, shorted every thing out (not happening) and ruined his life. That video natural goes viral, gets 1M hits in minutes, and 90% of those ppl get on reddit, here, or other forums and blast their ignorance, aios will leak and destroy your stuff, here's the link as proof. Which gets read and passed on by Millions of more ppl.

So in the end there's 10M clueless ppl acting like sheep, and yet not one word about the 999,000 ppl perfectly happy and satisfied with their purchase, nor the 900 ppl who needed a verified rma, nor the 90 ppl who got apologies and replaced equipment, the only thing all 10M sheep talk about is the 1 person who made a video.

What most don't even have a clue about is that a full custom loop almost Always has leaks at first fill, if it doesn't leak, it's a fluke.

Jan 15, 2023
And here we have the uncomfortable truth for both Intel and AMD in their top line processors: The need for water cooling...which your average consumer does NOT want to have to do. It is (understandably) a non-starter for most. While the question here is not about the current top line processors of each, it's the same issue. It is also the reason we see the big interest in underclocking those as you can get 80%+ of the performance with a lot less heat being generated. I feel the posters pain as someone looking to buy a new system myself.
Any psychologist will tell you that ppl are only scared of that which they don't understand. They have zero understanding of the chemicals used in liquid cooling, the majority of loops using distilled water, which is Not electrically conductive.

Why would someone spend an extra $100-$300 on an oversized, flagship cpu, only to limit it to 80% performance. Be far more cost effective, cheaper, easier to buy a xx600k and decent cooler than a xx900k that then gets castrated but similar performance, just because of lack of education or research.

AIO's do not require any more maintenance, nor do they require 'fixing' any more often than an aircooler. As for longetivity, yes, an air cooler can potentially last longer, but realistically there's very few who actually continue to use their old aircooler. The biggest problem is they bought a 9600k 5 years ago and paired it with a budget air cooler. Now with the upgrade, they are looking at higher wattage, larger heatsink requirements, so will buy another cooler, and generally spend an extra $50-$300 on additional RGB because the case only came with 2 fans. For many 'gamers', the total cost of a big aircooler and fans is actually more than a 360mm aio, which comes with fans.

Air or liquid is only a matter of personal choice, each has advantages and disadvantages, the choice should be based on needs and wants and what the owner can live with, not hearsay gossip.

Everything made by man has a failure rate. The failure rate of AIO's is @ 0.1%. So if Corsair sold 1M aios last year, that's 1000 ppl with an issue. For 90% of those failures, it was a user/installer error, fan quit, pump failed, bought the wrong size, got freaked out by others etc. That leaves 100 ppl who have a genuine factory leak, 90% of which was nothing more than a dribble from a fitting, but a leak non the less. That leaves 10 ppl who had a major failure. Out of those 10 ppl, 1 person made a video about how the aio destroyed his pc, shorted every thing out (not happening) and ruined his life. That video natural goes viral, gets 1M hits in minutes, and 90% of those ppl get on reddit, here, or other forums and blast their ignorance, aios will leak and destroy your stuff, here's the link as proof. Which gets read and passed on by Millions of more ppl.

So in the end there's 10M clueless ppl acting like sheep, and yet not one word about the 999,000 ppl perfectly happy and satisfied with their purchase, nor the 900 ppl who needed a verified rma, nor the 90 ppl who got apologies and replaced equipment, the only thing all 10M sheep talk about is the 1 person who made a video.

What most don't even have a clue about is that a full custom loop almost Always has leaks at first fill, if it doesn't leak, it's a fluke.
I dont know much about cooling, wich is one of the reasons to why i made this post, but more people are telling me that water cooling is worse than good (specifically that it needs more maintenance, reparation, last shorter and is more expensive than air cooling) link to this forum is here if its of any interest for you to read the conversation https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...wn-in-temperatures.303735/page-4#post-4934974 again i dont know much about cooling except for what ive heard since i made this post in some forums to get help with my CPU getting to hot for my like.

When you say top processors im assuming you are talking about the newest i9 right ?

yeah people are scared of stuff they dont understand, after i made theese posts some people are telling me to undervolt my CPU wich im a little scared to do, because it can become unstable and because i dont know alot about it, people are telling me get new case, CPU cooler and more fans and that is not making me scared, but annoyed because i just bought this pc and it was suposed to work perfect, but now i either have to bring it to a shop or order the parts and change the parts myself and i hate touching hardware, so its gonna be a shop that is going to do it for me.

thats a small fail rate for AIO's though, but for the person it hits it must be very frustrating.

The high end cpu's can be run on air coolers but tend to require water cooling for best performance.

The pump will fail one day on an AIO.

Does anyone have long term usage data available to accurately asses AIO failure rates? Per manufacturer?

A failure rate of 0.1% over what period of time?

Jan 15, 2023
The high end cpu's can be run on air coolers but tend to require water cooling for best performance.

The pump will fail one day on an AIO.

Does anyone have long term usage data available to accurately asses AIO failure rates? Per manufacturer?

A failure rate of 0.1% over what period of time?
But my cpu isnt a high end cpu right ? It has to be i9 to be high end right or ?

KyaraM

Admirable
Hello. My old pc died because it got to hot, so recently i bought a new pc and one of the first things i did was checking what temperatures it would reach, because i dont want that to happen again and just by doing a simple task like running Windows full virus scan it was reaching +90 degrees celcius and ive been researching and from what i undertand your CPU shouldnt reach higher that 80 degrees celcius under maximum load, so i contacted the shop where i bought it and Intel about it and Intel told me to update the BIOS (i did that and it didnt fix the problem) they then said that if it didnt fix the problem, both them and the shop told me to change the CPU with a new one of same model (i7-12700F) and get a better CPU cooler instead of the stock one and no matter what i will change the CPU, because i obviously dont want a CPU that there is something wrong with, but id like to save the money for a new CPU cooler for something else, if its possible, so my question is if there is any way for me to get my CPU down in temperature without changing the cooler, without loosing performance and my pc being to loud, i have set my fans to go to 100 at 50 degrees celcius in BIOS, but i still hit +81 degrees celcius doing virus scan, i can then set my pc in power saver mode and it will only 64 degrees celcius doing a scan, but that takes off way to much performance i think ? id like to have my pc on either balanced or high performance. Also Intel is telling me that i need a cooler with at least 180 watt, but the shop where i bought the pc is saying that BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 is more than enough (its less than 180 watt though) and im thinking Intel is right, since they made the CPU, so they should know best, but i want to hear other peoples opinion on that aswell.
From you description, you probably got the Intel stock cooler on there which is fine for an i3-12100, but really isn't strong enough for a 12700F. The Pure Rock 2 will do much, much better, especially if you don't push it to 100% all the time. In fact, I know of at least one 12700K, so the somewhat stronger version of that CPU, being cooled by that very same cooler (with undervolting for long-term high workloads, which isn't the case for either gaming nor anti virus; it averages between 50-60°C gaming with maybe a jump to 71 now and then, which is not a problem), which also works in a somewhat airflow restricted case. It even handles a mild overclock fine, which isn't a thing on your chip. Alder Lake is really good at undervolting, btw. -100mV seems to be no issue for basically any 12700 and is more than enough. But again, if you only game, none of that is at all necessary since the CPU shouldn't get close to 100% load.

Last edited:

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Here's an article explaining airflow more in detail:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/set-up-pc-case-fans-for-airflow-and-performance

When using a CPU air cooler, it usually isn't strong enough itself to pull in a lot of air from outside the case. And the difference can be that an air cooler rated as "just about good enough for the CPU" may not be good enough when there isn't proper airflow. A stronger air cooler for the CPU may eventually help, or an AIO solution in the H510 as GarrettL uses (which apparently takes fresh air from an intake fan at the top) may be an even better approach when talking about H510.

In any case, if you purchased the rig as one piece from a retailer, then it sure is advisable to check with them, as doing modifications yourself may void the warranty of your purchase (differences based on country may apply).

Jan 15, 2023
From you description, you probably got the Intel stock cooler on there which is fine for an i3-12100, but really isn't strong enough for a 12700F. The Pure Rock 2 will do much, much better, especially if you don't push it to 100% all the time. In fact, I know of at least one 12700K, so the somewhat stronger version of that CPU, being cooled by that very same cooler (with undervolting for long-term high workloads, which isn't the case for either gaming nor anti virus; it averages between 50-60°C gaming with maybe a jump to 71 now and then, which is not a problem), which also works in a somewhat airflow restricted case. It even handles a mild overclock fine, which isn't a thing on your chip. Alder Lake is really good at undervolting, btw. -100mV seems to be no issue for basically any 12700 and is more than enough. But again, if you only game, none of that is at all necessary since the CPU shouldn't get close to 100% load.
Yeah i got the Intel stock cooler for 12700F. That sounds really good, because yes as you are saying you can push 12700K more because it can OC, i mean 12700F can OC aswell, but thats only if you have a MB that can do it i think ? And i dont have that, i only got a ASUS B660M i think its called. But how do i undervolt the 12700F, ive seen people saying how to undervolt other 12700 CPU's not the F one and ive never undervolted before, so i dont know if its the same procedure or if its different from CPU to CPU ? Would it be to undervolt it with -100mV and then run Cinebench after to see what happens and it if doesnt crash, then push it with -5mV or something like that untill it crashes ? Ive been googling how to undervolt 12700F, but i couldnt find anything that applied to that CPU or that i understood. A maximum of 70 C would be fine for me, i just dont want it to go above 80 and i dont even use my pc for gaming, my nephew wants to play Diablo 4 when it comes out, so at that point i might game that sometimes with him, but i didnt buy the pc for gaming, i bought for my ''normal'' workload wich is: PrivadoVPN, Spotify, ZoneAlarm, CoreTemp and Intel Driver Support Assistant open down in the right corner and a few documents and i just want it be as fast as possible, with no to little noise and at low temperatures doing that. Do you know what case he's using ? I was thinking about switching from my case to the H5110 FLOW, but if its not necessary then i dont want to spend money on that case.