Question How do i get my CPU temps down ?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 15, 2023
Hello. My old pc died because it got to hot, so recently i bought a new pc and one of the first things i did was checking what temperatures it would reach, because i dont want that to happen again and just by doing a simple task like running Windows full virus scan it was reaching +90 degrees celcius and ive been researching and from what i undertand your CPU shouldnt reach higher that 80 degrees celcius under maximum load, so i contacted the shop where i bought it and Intel about it and Intel told me to update the BIOS (i did that and it didnt fix the problem) they then said that if it didnt fix the problem, both them and the shop told me to change the CPU with a new one of same model (i7-12700F) and get a better CPU cooler instead of the stock one and no matter what i will change the CPU, because i obviously dont want a CPU that there is something wrong with, but id like to save the money for a new CPU cooler for something else, if its possible.

So my question is if there is any way for me to get my CPU down in temperature without changing the cooler, without loosing performance and my pc being to loud, i have set my fans to go to 100 at 50 degrees celcius in BIOS, but i still hit +81 degrees celcius doing virus scan, i can then set my pc in power saver mode and it will only 64 degrees celcius doing a scan, but that takes off way to much performance i think ? id like to have my pc on either balanced or high performance. Also Intel is telling me that i need a cooler with at least 180 watt, but the shop where i bought the pc is saying that BE QUIET PURE ROCK 2 is more than enough (its less than 180 watt though) and im thinking Intel is right, since they made the CPU, so they should know best, but i want to hear other peoples opinion on that aswell.

Reactions: Patrick7
Jan 15, 2023
It should NOT be "slower" in balanced mode, and for 12th and 13th Gen Intel CPUs you NEED to do ALL of the following or your CPU is just going to be riding along at potentially full boost at all times, which doesn't actually realistically make anything faster and might actually make it slower because you will LOSE some speed when the CPU throttles rather than boosting some cores for LONGER because some cores are able to "rest" which allows the entire "package" to run cooler and that results in NOT throttling. At least, more often than otherwise.

First, make sure you have the most recent chipset driver directly from your motherboard's product support page installed. Then restart the system.

Second, choose the Balanced power plan. Then go into the advanced settings for that power plan and make sure the Min "Processor power state" is set to 5% and the Max is set to 100%.

Third, go into the BIOS and disable Intel speed SHIFT, but make sure EIST (Intel enhanced speed STEP) is enabled. Also, make sure ALL of the low power C-states are either enabled or set to auto.

After doing that, you should see a significant reduction in both individual core and package temps in normal use. It won't reduce overall temps under extended full load stress testing, since obviously everything will be running at full bore, but rarely is everything running at full bore under normal conditions in real world use unless the CPU is not configured as recommended.

Im at the page with drivers: https://www.asus.com/dk/motherboard...elpdesk_download/?model2Name=PRIME-B660M-K-D4 but isnt there any way to check if i already have the newest drivers before getting them ?

Doesn't matter if you do or not. Installing them again won't hurt anything and then you will KNOW you have the latest, and correct ones. Better to know than to guess. Besides which, sometimes you can already HAVE the latest driver installed, but something else comes along and changes something in the configuration of that driver, so even though you have the drive the default configuration of the device is no longer in play. In that case, reinstalling the driver should return everything to the default, preferred condition that you want to see as a result of reinstalling that driver.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia drivers are a perfect example. When updating those, you shouldn't use Express unless there's Zero driver issues. Express reads what driver versions are installed, and skips any that match or are newer. It only installs over older version numbers. The problem there is many times outside influences, especially audio and Windows, will do a partial update and end up changing the code, corrupting it, but the driver version remains the same. So you can Express install drivers 100 times and never fix the bug.

Better to use Custom install, which removes, then installs, everything from scratch, clean, even if it means installing drivers that already exist in perfectly healthy working order. Which is what DDU does for video drivers, but there isn't a DDU for motherboard/chipset drivers.

Chipset drivers get stored in Windows/Drivers folder, so they are accessible during boot. A common mistake is when ppl install/update the drivers, that didn't work, so they reinstall windows and still have an error, not realizing that they just deleted all those chipset drivers from Windows. And they are positive there's new drivers, they just installed them.

Jan 15, 2023
Doesn't matter if you do or not. Installing them again won't hurt anything and then you will KNOW you have the latest, and correct ones. Better to know than to guess. Besides which, sometimes you can already HAVE the latest driver installed, but something else comes along and changes something in the configuration of that driver, so even though you have the drive the default configuration of the device is no longer in play. In that case, reinstalling the driver should return everything to the default, preferred condition that you want to see as a result of reinstalling that driver.

Okay so im guessing the last 4 drivers/files right https://www.asus.com/dk/motherboard...elpdesk_download/?model2Name=PRIME-B660M-K-D4 they are all from the same date and have different names. But where do i save them when it asks for that ?

Jan 15, 2023
Nvidia drivers are a perfect example. When updating those, you shouldn't use Express unless there's Zero driver issues. Express reads what driver versions are installed, and skips any that match or are newer. It only installs over older version numbers. The problem there is many times outside influences, especially audio and Windows, will do a partial update and end up changing the code, corrupting it, but the driver version remains the same. So you can Express install drivers 100 times and never fix the bug.

Better to use Custom install, which removes, then installs, everything from scratch, clean, even if it means installing drivers that already exist in perfectly healthy working order. Which is what DDU does for video drivers, but there isn't a DDU for motherboard/chipset drivers.

Chipset drivers get stored in Windows/Drivers folder, so they are accessible during boot. A common mistake is when ppl install/update the drivers, that didn't work, so they reinstall windows and still have an error, not realizing that they just deleted all those chipset drivers from Windows. And they are positive there's new drivers, they just installed them.

A long time ago i used to custom install nvidia drivers, but then at some point i was like nah i just went with express. But how do i know if i have a problem with my drivers ? I once had some audio driver problem from nvidia and contacted nvidias chat about it and they helped me fix it, but other than that i dont think ive seen on my screen that there is a problem with a driver. What is DDU ? And yeah there is no way im re-installing Windows now, since i bought my new pc, ive used almost all my free time on pc stuff.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller, a commonly used program that totally removes any 3rd party nvidia or amd graphics card drivers and registry entries. While not always necessary, it can be, especially when swapping from nvidia to amd graphics card, or vice versa.

I create a folder on the desktop, save all the chipset/motherboard drivers to it. Then just delete the installer after you use it, one at a time. Those drivers you can pick and choose to download, there's usually an All in One driver package, but some few drivers are still seperate.

Jan 15, 2023
DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller, a commonly used program that totally removes any 3rd party nvidia or amd graphics card drivers and registry entries. While not always necessary, it can be, especially when swapping from nvidia to amd graphics card, or vice versa.

I create a folder on the desktop, save all the chipset/motherboard drivers to it. Then just delete the installer after you use it, one at a time. Those drivers you can pick and choose to download, there's usually an All in One driver package, but some few drivers are still seperate.
ah okay, i guess if i switch graphic cards to AMD one day i should get it but that its not necesary for me now ?

okay so i solved where to save them, but how many of the drivers should i get ? there is 4 from the same date with different names

Intel SerialIO driver V30.100.2221.20 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 30.100.2221.204.28 MB
2022/09/29

Intel GNA driver V3.0.0.1457 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 3.0.0.14572.15 MB
2022/09/29

Intel consumer ME driver V2229.3.2.0 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 2229.3.2.0315.9 MB
2022/09/29

Intel chipset driver V10.1.19199.8340 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 10.1.19199.83406.55 MB
2022/09/29

im thinking i should get theese 4 ?

and not these:

Intel Consumer ME driver 2204.2.62.0 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 2204.2.62.0257.43 MB
2022/04/21

Intel Chipset driver V10.1.18950.8298 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.
Version 10.1.18950.82986 MB
2022/04/21

there is more older ones, but i dont think they are necesary to show ?

I would recommend that you download and install ALL of these, just to be sure. That way, there is no question you are on the correct and latest drivers.

LAN: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...96142022_20220913R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel serial I/O driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...00222120_20220928R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel ME driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...V2229320_20220928R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel B660 chipset driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...91998340_20220928R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Realtek audio driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...V6093811_20220815R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel VGA driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...013678_20221125R_1.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

And I would recommend you avoid not installing a particular driver because you think it isn't relevant to the problem. ALL drivers CAN have an effect on ALL other drivers, in some cases. Especially if something hasn't been updated while others have. Drivers, all of them, get updated for a REASON so it's always good to keep them all up to date based on what's available from the motherboard, graphics card or other component product support page OR from Intel and AMD directly. And I'm sure we've already discussed it, but it's a good idea to check at least once a month to see if there are BIOS updates as well. These days, BIOS updates are almost a necessity, much like driver updates. Often hardware won't even work properly on a given platform without having the latest firmware version installed so it's just a good practice to get used to.

Jan 15, 2023
I would recommend that you download and install ALL of these, just to be sure. That way, there is no question you are on the correct and latest drivers.

LAN: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/DRV_LAN_Realtek_8111_SZ-TSD_W11_64_V116896142022_20220913R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel serial I/O driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_SerialIO_Intel_SZ_TSD_W11_64_V30100222120_20220928R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel ME driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_MEI_Intel_Con_SZ_TSD_W11_64_V2229320_20220928R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel B660 chipset driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_Chipset_Intel_TSD_SZ_W11_64_V101191998340_20220928R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Realtek audio driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/DRV_Audio_RTK_SZ_RTK_W11_64_V6093811_20220815R.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

Intel VGA driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/07VGA/DRV_VGA_Intel_SZ_TSD_W11_64_V3101013678_20221125R_1.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4

And I would recommend you avoid not installing a particular driver because you think it isn't relevant to the problem. ALL drivers CAN have an effect on ALL other drivers, in some cases. Especially if something hasn't been updated while others have. Drivers, all of them, get updated for a REASON so it's always good to keep them all up to date based on what's available from the motherboard, graphics card or other component product support page OR from Intel and AMD directly. And I'm sure we've already discussed it, but it's a good idea to check at least once a month to see if there are BIOS updates as well. These days, BIOS updates are almost a necessity, much like driver updates. Often hardware won't even work properly on a given platform without having the latest firmware version installed so it's just a good practice to get used to.
So i dl the first file, but im not sure what to choose after i unpack it because it shows a something called AsusSetup (application) but it also has a folder called Win10, when i click Win10 it give me the same folder (AsusSetup) once again, but also one just called setup (application) so wich one am i suposed to choose, im nervous im gonna install the wrong one or something like that ?

Jan 15, 2023

Just making sure, i downloaded the first driver Dark told me to a folder on the desktop called Drivers, then installed through the setup and then deleted every file in the folder, am i suposed to do that or only delete the setup file ? Just wanna make sure im not installing all theese drivers and then uninstalling them because im misunderstanding .

Jan 15, 2023
Once installed you can delete the folders or zip files that contained the installation files. They are no longer needed after installation.

Okay i installed all the drivers except for this one: Intel VGA driver: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/07VGA/DRV_VGA_Intel_SZ_TSD_W11_64_V3101013678_20221125R_1.zip?model=PRIME B660M-K D4 after extracting the files and opening the installer i get this message in the installer called Intel Graphics Driver Installer : No driver was found that can be installed on the current device: Installer exit code 8 ?

Jan 15, 2023
I'm not going to say it isn't "possible", but it would be very unlikely for your sound to sound worse with the correct driver installed. If you want to use the Windows driver you can, simply go into device manager, uninstall the device by expanding the "sound video and game controllers" device listing, then find your audio adapter and select uninstall. Then restart the system, run Windows update, go to the Optional updates and find whatever native driver MS is using for that Realtek device. But honestly, I'm pretty doubtful although we have seen Realtek devices have trouble with drivers from time to time.

Jan 15, 2023
I'm not going to say it isn't "possible", but it would be very unlikely for your sound to sound worse with the correct driver installed. If you want to use the Windows driver you can, simply go into device manager, uninstall the device by expanding the "sound video and game controllers" device listing, then find your audio adapter and select uninstall. Then restart the system, run Windows update, go to the Optional updates and find whatever native driver MS is using for that Realtek device. But honestly, I'm pretty doubtful although we have seen Realtek devices have trouble with drivers from time to time.
Ive just been in optional updates and couldnt find it, is that because i have to uninstall before i will be able to see it ?

also i have a update for my motherboard (i think) in there: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - Firmware 10.1.2.1620 should i download that or am i good after getting the other ones you told me to get ?

Yes, you have to uninstall it first. Then if nothing shows up in optional updates after you uninstall it and restart the system, then go into Windows update, you will want to go back into device manager and in the menu options select check for hardware changes IF the device isn't already showing under Sound, video and game controllers. If it is, and a driver is already installed (Device is not "remarked" in some way, like with exclamation point or question mark) then see if it works fine. If it does not or if it's remarked, you can then right click it and select "update driver"

Alternatively you can TRY to find a driver on the Realtek website but Realtek is very <Mod Edit> about providing drivers for it's audio adapters to the public because board manufacturers generally highly customize the hardware which usually requires their own custom driver packages in order for the device to be full featured and work properly. It could also be that your problem is not the audio driver, but something else, such as bluetooth driver, headphone driver, etc., if it's headphone related. If you're using regular speakers that are plugged in, then it's probably not that.

Jan 15, 2023
Yes, you have to uninstall it first. Then if nothing shows up in optional updates after you uninstall it and restart the system, then go into Windows update, you will want to go back into device manager and in the menu options select check for hardware changes IF the device isn't already showing under Sound, video and game controllers. If it is, and a driver is already installed (Device is not "remarked" in some way, like with exclamation point or question mark) then see if it works fine. If it does not or if it's remarked, you can then right click it and select "update driver"

Alternatively you can TRY to find a driver on the Realtek website but Realtek is very <Mod Edit> about providing drivers for it's audio adapters to the public because board manufacturers generally highly customize the hardware which usually requires their own custom driver packages in order for the device to be full featured and work properly. It could also be that your problem is not the audio driver, but something else, such as bluetooth driver, headphone driver, etc., if it's headphone related. If you're using regular speakers that are plugged in, then it's probably not that.

I uninstalled it inside device manager, resetted my pc, but its still showing the exact same under device manager > sound, video and game controllers. Does that mean it cant uninstall it or is the normal audio driver called the same ? Also nothing is showing under optional updates except for that firmware that i told you about ? Its not like its a huge problem, but i feel like my sound quality is a bit worse when im playing loud music, i can play louder music than before though.