[SOLVED] how do i get sli to work with pcie 3.0 graphics cards on pcie 4.0 motherboard?

gamer2121

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
hello folks, i have a x570 aorus elite wifi motherboard and i haven't gotten sli to work with my perfectly working gtx 980s with a brand new sli bridge that def is compatible with my cards. i have a brand new evga psu and new ryzen cpu, and everything works just fine so i don't understand what the problem is(perhaps an sli incompatibility cause the motherboard is 4.0 pcie??) thanks in advance!

Solution
There is no mention on the support page that the motherboard supports sli, only crossfire.

Multi-Graphics Technology
Support for AMD Quad-GPU CrossFire™ and 2-Way AMD CrossFire™ technologies
Note: For 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors/2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors only.
Wow man, this whole time I've been into pc gaming I was under the impression that if a motherboard supported one it'd support the other...Thanks for the assistance...And all it took was a quick glimpse of the motherboard support page...
There is no mention on the support page that the motherboard supports sli, only crossfire.

Note: For 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors/2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors only.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, if this is for gaming, it's not actually worth bothering with an SLI configuration in 2020 even if it did work. The industry's been moving away from this for the last decade because of the headaches and time involved to optimize for something only a very few people ever used.

Reactions: gamer2121

gamer2121

Distinguished
May 13, 2012

Wow man, this whole time I've been into pc gaming I was under the impression that if a motherboard supported one it'd support the other...Thanks for the assistance...And all it took was a quick glimpse of the motherboard support page...

Solution

gamer2121

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
Honestly, if this is for gaming, it's not actually worth bothering with an SLI configuration in 2020 even if it did work. The industry's been moving away from this for the last decade because of the headaches and time involved to optimize for something only a very few people ever used.
Def makes sense to me but I always thought that you pay for power when it comes to pc gaming and options are infinite...I know the enthusiast segment is comparatively small but shouldn't we always have the option to go up to 4 cards if we want the most insane performance in games? I am not being a smart aleck or anything but is it that difficult to code in decent sli or crossfire support into every single pc game? I guess i am just really ignorant to the intracacies of game development... I am truly saddened that you can't do 4 way sli and crossfire anymore-this is the reason i got into pc gaming back in 09 to begin with; it was mouth watering to me.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Def makes sense to me but I always thought that you pay for power when it comes to pc gaming and options are infinite...I know the enthusiast segment is comparatively small but shouldn't we always have the option to go up to 4 cards if we want the most insane performance in games? I am not being a smart aleck or anything but is it that difficult to code in decent sli or crossfire support into every single pc game? I guess i am just really ignorant to the intracacies of game development... I am truly saddened that you can't do 4 way sli and crossfire anymore-this is the reason i got into pc gaming back in 09 to begin with; it was mouth watering to me.

While I'm not personally a programmer, I've talked to enough people in the industry about this issue to confidentialy answer the first question with yes. Even when they tried to get it working it wasn't great.