Question How do I install Windows 10 on old PC?

swanepoellukas5

Commendable
Jan 4, 2018
So my dad has an old Lenovo desktop that he bought maybe in 2005-2006. I said it might be a good idea to upgrade it with an SSD and windows 10, but I can't figure out how to boot from the USB boot drive. The USB has the windows installation media tool thing on it, and the ssd is plugged in, but everytime I tell the BIOS to boot from the USB, the Windows 10 logo breafly appears, than the screen goes black and there's a underscore flickering in the top left corner of screen and nothing happens

USAFRet

Titan
"The USB has the windows installation media tool thing on it "

You need to RUN that mediacreation tool on a working PC, and that will write the required install to the USB.

swanepoellukas5

Commendable
Jan 4, 2018
Sorry, that's what I meant. I created the bootable drive on MY PC. Just an update, I used my PC to install Windows 10 on the new SSD and then plugged it into the old PC again thinking it would just boot from it as it already has an OS installed, but the BIOS just says something along the lines of "invalid boot drive selected". I should probably add that the PC in question has a Core 2 Duo, 2gb of RAM, the old HDD is infact removed and the SSD is correctly installed. The BIOS detects that it is installed and even shows the make and capacity, but just won't. It is an OEM PC, so is it possible that the motherboard won't allow a different drive to be installed?

Last edited: