Question How do I know if I have enough power in my psu for GTX 1050ti? HP Elite 8300 computer upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I have an i7-3770 3.4ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, 500gb HDD and a 320 w psu. Its all part of an HP elite 8300 tower. I was planning on getting a SSD- maybe 480gb one like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0TQPQB/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1) and also a GTX 1050 ti- maybe this one(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MEHGRMS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1).

I don;t know how much it affects power but I've also got usb speakers, mouse and keyboard and a CD/DVD drive.

I used this: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it told me a load of 318 watt and it recommends 368w. I am basically wondering how accurate this website is and if I can get away with keeping my psu. If not, which cheap one would be a good replacement?

Finally, does anyone know much about the HP elite 8300. Its motherboard is made by HP and I wasn't sure whether it will be compatible with another psu or the graphics card. Space isn't an issue though because the case is massive. I am a complete novice- please help :)

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Buy a new psu, i'd reccomend at least 450W bronze. 400 might be fine, but i wouldn't risk it.

If it was for me, i would buy a good 700-750W for future upgrades or next PC - prices are still reasonable and it will last for a long time.... But i get the budget way of thinking.

320W PSU is not enough and may cause a lot of issues. If it's bad quality (probably it is), it might also damage Your hardware when it's overloaded. Your PSU from HP build is probably one of the cheapest on the market. Just forget it.

About HP motherboard - whatever, if it has PCI Express slot, it should work just fine. Why wouldn't? :p

EDIT: in this kind of tower, even if You find a place for Your GPU, internal temperatures may go up a bit. You should monitor temps on Your CPu and GPU to make sure everything's fine after installing.
If it get's too hot, then might be necessary to do something about it (buy some simple, used midi tower or think about some other ways to resolve the problem if it occurs). Just keep Your eyes on it, just in case.

Last edited:

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Buy a new psu, i'd reccomend at least 450W bronze. 400 might be fine, but i wouldn't risk it.

If it was for me, i would buy a good 700-750W for future upgrades or next PC - prices are still reasonable and it will last for a long time.... But i get the budget way of thinking.

320W PSU is not enough and may cause a lot of issues. If it's bad quality (probably it is), it might also damage Your hardware. Your PSU from HP build is probably one of the cheapest on the market. Just forget it.

About HP motherboard - whatever, if it has PCI Express slot, it should work just fine. Why wouldn't? :p
Sounds good. What about getting a GTX 1050 ti low profile- like this(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GeForce-1050-Profile-GDDR5/dp/B01N33SOXU)
Is that lower power and therefore fine on the 320w or do i sacrifice too much on the card?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
As the proposed GTX 1050 ti does not require an external PCIe power connection, the current 320w PSU is indeed sufficient to power this rig. Those power calculator measures skew to the high side.

For optimal long-term performance, a stronger PSU is recommended. But, it is not an absolute immediate need.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019

320W PSU is not enough and may cause a lot of issues. If it's bad quality (probably it is), it might also damage Your hardware when it's overloaded. Your PSU from HP build is probably one of the cheapest on the market. Just forget it.

EDIT: in this kind of tower, even if You find a place for Your GPU, internal temperatures may go up a bit. You should monitor temps on Your CPu and GPU to make sure everything's fine after installing.
If it get's too hot, then might be necessary to do something about it (buy some simple, used midi tower or think about some other ways to resolve the problem if it occurs). Just keep Your eyes on it, just in case.
Alright, I think i'll get a new psu then. Is there anything i need to check to make sure its compatible? As for the tower, the one ive got is huge with tons of space inside- I think you might be thinking of a different one?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Alright, I think i'll get a new psu then. Is there anything i need to check to make sure its compatible? As for the tower, the one ive got is huge with tons of space inside- I think you might be thinking of a different one?

Yes, sorry, i googled compaq elite 8300 (the small one). If it's bigger, than You're okay with it.

About this:
As the proposed GTX 1050 ti does not require an external PCIe power connection, the current 320w PSU is indeed sufficient to power this rig. Those power calculator measures skew to the high side
Yes, the card requiers 300W PSU, and @COLGeek technically is right, but i would still reccomend to change it. TBH i didn't realise that this card doesn't have a 6-pin connector (wow).
Still, probably your PSU from pre-build is a low-end one and it barely meets the requirements. In a long-term usage it's safe to buy something bigger.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
the hp elite 8300 probably use their own style of psu connector and not the normal 20/24 pin so it cant be upgraded. im not 100 percent sure but look at your motherboard at the connectors and you will probably see its not the normal kind of connectors.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
the hp elite 8300 probably use their own style of psu connector and not the normal 20/24 pin so it cant be upgraded. im not 100 percent sure but look at your motherboard at the connectors and you will probably see its not the normal kind of connectors.
What in particular am I looking for- complete novice.

Sometimes Manufacturers don't stick to the proper standards and reduce the 75W Pci-e down to whatever they want. Normally something pathetic like 25watts. Also, they normally state this somewhere, but not always. Maybe they forget, a bit like Google and their hidden microphone.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Yes, sorry, i googled compaq elite 8300 (the small one). If it's bigger, than You're okay with it.

About this:

Yes, the card requiers 300W PSU, and @COLGeek technically is right, but i would still reccomend to change it. TBH i didn't realise that this card doesn't have a 6-pin connector (wow).
Still, probably your PSU from pre-build is a low-end one and it barely meets the requirements. In a long-term usage it's safe to buy something bigger.
So just to clarify, If I was to just keep the psu(it might be really difficult to upgrade because of HPs power connectors) and I went with a 1050ti, it would be okay, but in the future I would need to upgrade if I changed graphics card?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Contrary to popular misunderstanding, many OEM psu's especially HP, Dell etc are actually quite decent, being OEM Delta or Seasonic. For low draw cards like that 1050ti the 320w OEM psu is plenty good enough, the entire pc being lucky to pull 200w maxed out.

750w is not only ungodly overkill, but actually detrimental in its own way. With the pc spending most of its life under 20% loads, you are now into the area where not only efficiency is trashed and below tested % but reliability of components gets into question as the psu is technically in low power mode ranges. Total waste. Psu size should be aimed at where average draw is @50% of ability. This maximizes thermal and electrical efficiency. For this build, 450w would be maximum needed, but anything decent between 300-450w is ideal.

On future... Who knows. By the time you upgrade the gpu, not only will you really be running out of options with that 3rd gen Intel, but you'll more than likely be looking at replacing the entire pc, which may include the psu. Also consider that power requirements are dropping across the board, gtx970 needs 550w gtx1060 needs 450w, close performance in gaming. R9 290x needs 650w+ psu, Rx580 needs 550w+. So a 2150ti having the same power as a gtx1070 may run fine on a 300w psu. It's the future, second guess all you want.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
So just to clarify, If I was to just keep the psu(it might be really difficult to upgrade because of HPs power connectors) and I went with a 1050ti, it would be okay, but in the future I would need to upgrade if I changed graphics card?

All this time i had in mind, taht the graphic card gets the power straight from PSU, with a 6-pin connector.

If what You want to put inside it is some card powered only by a motherboard PCIexpress slot, then You should consider this comment:
Sometimes Manufacturers don't stick to the proper standards and reduce the 75W Pci-e down to whatever they want. Normally something pathetic like 25watts. Also, they normally state this somewhere, but not always. Maybe they forget, a bit like Google and their hidden microphone

So the best way to upgrade Your pc is to buy 450+W PSU and a NORMAL graphics card with extrenal power supply connector. The only question is this, which You should check manually (just google, how the motherboard standard connector looks like - the're all the same):

"the hp elite 8300 probably use their own style of psu connector and not the normal 20/24 pin so it cant be upgraded. im not 100 percent sure but look at your motherboard at the connectors and you will probably see its not the normal kind of connectors. "

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
750w is not only ungodly overkill, but actually detrimental in its own way. With the pc spending most of its life under 20% loads, you are now into the area where not only efficiency is trashed and below tested % but reliability of components gets into question as the psu is technically in low power mode ranges. Total waste. Psu size should be aimed at where average draw is @50% of ability. This maximizes thermal and electrical efficiency. For this build, 450w would be maximum needed, but anything decent between 300-450w is ideal.

Yep, You are right Sir. 750W Is an obvious overkill. You can buy that only if You think of exchanging the entire setup in a short future (which I think of right now - maybe that's why)

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Sometimes Manufacturers don't stick to the proper standards and reduce the 75W Pci-e down to whatever they want. Normally something pathetic like 25watts. Also, they normally state this somewhere, but not always. Maybe they forget, a bit like Google and their hidden microphone.
Is there a way I can find out if this is the case. I have no reason to believe it is anything but the standard. I think i need the 75w tho for the 1050ti.

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Unless op wants to suddenly delve into Ryzen 2700x, Intel 9700k or better with a 2080ti on 1440p/144Hz or 4k monitors, then he'll not even require anything over a 650w psu, 750w is for older radeon or sli 9 series gpus
I'm gonna stick with the 320w. Final thing: how do I know if my pcie connectors are compatible with the card and are 75w. Some posters suggested they could be 25w? My PC is the large tower version not the small form factor.

Last edited:

Matt123MJC

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
This will give exact model number to know if they skin-flinted on t he 75Watt PCI connector and put in a 25watt one

On this thread about DELL they use a 25watt PCI-E Which is why you need to be careful. Things are built to a budget.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...on-PCIe-x16-slot-Optiplex-790-SFF/m-p/4709629
https://vjauj58549.i.lithium.com/co...discussions.components.files/3515/25WSLOT.jpg
I found this on another thread: http://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/hp8200sff.pdf
on page 21 it says max wattage for pcie is 75w (for the cmt form factor which is mine) so all good i think.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if you got psu connector like this you can upgrade to Another psu

https://www.computerhope.com/cdn/bigmb.jpg

thats one connector to 20/24 pin and one 4 pin 12 v connector thats the standard for motherboards.

brands like hp and Fujitsu use their own kind of psu connectors on alot of their computers

as you can see in that picture it dont got the normal psu 24 pin connector. thats the sff model but i guess its the same for the desktop.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1HD-001M-00038

Status
Not open for further replies.