How do I know if my motherboard is dual, triple or quad channel for RAM?

Ddaffey

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hello,

I am currently running with an i7 920, a GeForce GTX 470 but only 6gb RAM on a EVGA 132-BL-E758 motherboard. I am wanting to upgrade my RAM at this point. Looking up my motherboard specs I cannot determine whether I have one that supports dual, triple or quad? And whichever it is, how do you know/how can you determine this?

Thank you

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
USAFRet nailed it, basically to know you simply need to know the socket of the mobo - the 2011 socket is Quad, Tri, Dual or Single, the 1366 Socket mobos are Tri, Dual or Single, and basically the rest 1150, 1155, 1156, 775 and all AMD mobos run either Dual or Single

C_1___

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Actually, i have seen an 1155 socket running quad channel w/o problems. Ive also read that the 1150 socket was planned for supporting more than dual channel in z97 chipsets. I have not tried it, but i did see the socket1155 run quad ina friend's rig.

Your best bet is to search online or in the mobo manual/docs, and check the mobo capability. Though it is true the newer platforms handle the gamut of channel types, some other sockets can run true quad channel RAM.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

You can run 4 sticks on 1155 - but that's not quad channel, the MC (memory controller) determines this and there are NO 1155 socket CPUs that support quad channel