How do I know I've booted from SSD vs HD?

mosis

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Hi, I've just migrated my Windows 7 installation from my C: partition, on a 2TB hard drive, to a 120GB SSD, using AOMEI Partition Assistant (you can view the instructions here: http://www.ssdhdd.org/migration/migrate-windows-to-ssd.html )

I then rebooted and went into the BIOS, and selected my SSD as the first boot device, but Windows 7 still takes the same time to load as before (probably two minutes), and now that I'm in Windows, I can't tell if I'm running it on the SSD, or the 2TB hard drive!

I have made a backup image of the C: drive installation using Macrium Reflect, is there a safe way to 'hide' the C: partition without permanently buggering it up, so that I can prove to myself that I'm actually booting into Windows from the SSD?

My C: partition was 50GB, and I only copied over the 18GB that Win7 took up, to a 30GB partition that I made on the SSD.

mosis

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Edit: I've just installed PhotoImpact 12 onto the C: drive, and it now takes only two to three seconds to start up, whereas before on the hard drive it used to take over 20 seconds, plus it installed incredibly quickly, so I must be on the SSD. Does anybody know why my boot time is so slow? I have a Foxconn H55M-S motherboard, but it doesn't have AHCI, and I would have to update the BIOS to get this function, and I've read reports of people having problems updating the BIOS, so I don't want to have to do it unless I have to.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012

You can poke around in C:\ (or whatever drive letter) windows\temp or other folders/files.
And just take a look at the date modified value.

If it looks like it is being used, then you know what drive is really running.

Shut down your pc completely.
Open the pc case.
Disconnect the hard disk drive data cable from the motherboard.
Start the pc.
Immediately go into the System BIOS and make sure you are in AHCI mode and not IDE mode.
Save System BIOS settings.
If Windows starts, then you're booting from the ssd.

I mentioned checking the motherboard's System BIOS to see if you are in AHCI mode because you didn't mention it. That could be one of several reasons why Windows is slow. There may be other reasons.

Once you are satisfied that all is well you can reconnect the hard disk drive and uninstall Windows.

Simple, the Windows operating system is always the C: drive, just look at the size of the C: drive and if it is the size of the SSD then you are booting from the SSD, if it is the size of the hard drive then it is the hard drive.
AHCI makes a big difference to the effective speed of the drive so you should in this case update your BIOS.

rae888

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

What if both your SSD and your hard drive are both 1 TB? At this point I can't even see my second drive. Only one drive shows under C.
I think when I set up my computer, I set it up to boot from the Samsung SSD but now I'm getting ready to try to set up my hard drive for storage and I'm not really sure.Is there a way to know from within windows or do you have to go into bios? If so, do you hit F1 key on boot up to get in there?