How do I know whether my Mobo has MINI PCIE-E or M.2 NGFF interface for wi-fi antennas?

Dec 14, 2018
How do I know whether my Mobo has MINI PCIE-E or M.2 NGFF interface for wi-fi antennas?

Mobo: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B360-I-GAMING/specifications/

I figured that MoBo requires antenna with RP-SMA Male connection type.

I found these antennas: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6dBi-2-4GHz-5GHz-Dual-Band-WiFi-RP-SMA-Antenna-2x-35cm-U-fl-IPEX-Cable-J3M4/173285457179?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D1a53ecaa076a4e30a764beab925cb81d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D183576149522%26itm%3D173285457179&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

What does the NOTE on ebay post mean:" Only use for MINI PCI-E Interface, Do Not Use for M.2 (NGFF) Interface.

How do I know whether my Mobo has MINI PCIE-E or M.2 NGFF interface?

Solution
Antenna doesn't use any of those interfaces and it doesn't care what it's connected to as long as it's designed for certain frequency and connectors fit.
Those antennae you listed do not need to be connected inside the case using those pigtails coming with them, you can connect them straight to the back of case.
As to why you may prefer wired connection to router, you can get higher speed than even with 5GHz WiFi and much reduced ping times which may be important for online games.

kanewolf

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mandreto10 : "How to pick antenna for MoBo? (fixed vs mobile)"

Dec 14, 2018
Because what came with the unit is WIRED antenna...you stick the two plugs from antenna in Mobo, then you have several feet of flexible, thin black wire, that connects at the other end to the triangular small unit that hold the actual antenna.

The whole purpose of having the wi-fi is to get rid of wires, and not add new ones. My peripheral devices will be at most 20 feet away, so it's not like I need some super strong antenna.

ASUS also does not have "original equipment replacement". They don't sell antennas like these:

Antenna doesn't use any of those interfaces and it doesn't care what it's connected to as long as it's designed for certain frequency and connectors fit.
Those antennae you listed do not need to be connected inside the case using those pigtails coming with them, you can connect them straight to the back of case.
As to why you may prefer wired connection to router, you can get higher speed than even with 5GHz WiFi and much reduced ping times which may be important for online games.

Solution
Dec 14, 2018
Thanks.

After seeing ASUS USer Manual, there was a motherboard chart showing that the "inner pigtails" connect to M.2. However, in my case I just need external antenna, since internal connectors came with ASUS MoBo. I figured after awhile that any dual-band external antenna will work.

I see the point of higher speeds, and I can see how that may be relevant for gamin...My ASUS Mobo is made specifically for gaming. However, I'll be using this Mobo strictly as NAS/data sync server. And while initial sync will push the data faster, subsequent syncs won't matter since <10 files are modified in a day.