[SOLVED] How do I lower the memory temperature of my RTX 2060?

megsalamat

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
When I play some really GPU-heavy games, I was alarmed when I checked GPU-Z for my temps and my memory temperature is reaching more than 90 degrees celsius. Should I be alarmed and change thermal pads immediately or is this normal?

This is a screenshot of GPU-Z while I try to play Minecraft RTX

And it also reaches 98 degrees celsius when I play Days Gone, even when I put it on the lowest settings.

Edit:
I figured I should also say what OS I am using, I am currently using the latest Windows 11. If that'll be a factor, please tell me right away.

Solution
You need to provide specs. Provide at least:
-the exact 2060 model
-the chassis model

There are a few ways to reduce memory temperature.
A)'Deep clean' the gpu, via taking it apart and cleaning it. The air can isn't perfect.
Try not to tear any pads - you will need to replace them if you do. Warm the gpu up for a few minutes with a game to make taking the cooler off a little easier.
Obviously, you will have to repaste the core, but don't just use any paste; there are pastes that don't work as well on the smooth, slick surface of a bare silicon die. A few that are known to work well:
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK-3
Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano
Gelid GC-Extreme
Kingpin KPx

B)If the gpu has a backplate, but no pads between it and the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-the exact 2060 model
-the chassis model

A)'Deep clean' the gpu, via taking it apart and cleaning it. The air can isn't perfect.
Try not to tear any pads - you will need to replace them if you do. Warm the gpu up for a few minutes with a game to make taking the cooler off a little easier.
Obviously, you will have to repaste the core, but don't just use any paste; there are pastes that don't work as well on the smooth, slick surface of a bare silicon die. A few that are known to work well:
Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK-3
Gelid GC-Extreme
Kingpin KPx

B)If the gpu has a backplate, but no pads between it and the PCB - in other words, the backplate is just for show - add some pads between the 2 parts.
For added effect, you can also place a 120-80mm fan over the general area the memory is located - exhaust upwards, of course.

C)Undervolt the gpu. This method does not directly lower memory temperatures, because the voltage being sent to it is fixed from vbios.
It indirectly reduces temperature, because you reduce the heat radiating from the gpu as a whole.

change thermal pads immediately
Do not jump straight to this. This is a crapshoot similar to mixing ram.

Reactions: megsalamat
Solution

megsalamat

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
-the exact 2060 model
-the chassis model

Noctua NT-H2
Prolimatech PK-3
Gelid GC-Extreme
Kingpin KPx

B)If the gpu has a backplate, but no pads between it and the PCB - in other words, the backplate is just for show - add some pads between the 2 parts.
For added effect, you can also place a 120-80mm fan over the general area the memory is located - exhaust upwards, of course.

C)Undervolt the gpu. This method does not directly lower memory temperatures, because the voltage being sent to it is fixed from vbios.
It indirectly reduces temperature, because you reduce the heat radiating from the gpu as a whole.

Do not jump straight to this. This is a crapshoot similar to mixing ram.

Oh yeah my bad, my card is ASUS TUF RTX 2060, and I am using some generic case from Trendsonic, exact model is Trendsonic Roba. I modified its front panel to have more holes on its side to improve airflow.

Edit:
I already undervolted my GPU at MSI Afterburner, I clocked it at 1920mhz on 975mV. I was satisfied with the results but I was only alarmed at the memory temperatures now. Also, I have already deep cleaned my GPU a while ago, yet the problem persists, and also repasted it using Arctic MX-4 . That's why I jumped into changing thermal pads right away haha.

And also yeah, the backplate is for show only. It is made of plastic and probably only protects the PCB from dust.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I tried to look up pictures of that model with the backplate removed to try and save some time, but no dice. So I'm unable to confirm whether there are pads between the PCB and backplate. You'll have to check that.

IF there aren't any, then the design of this card was relying entirely on you running the gpu's fans at high speed to keep the Vram cool.

megsalamat

Commendable
Jan 22, 2019
I tried to look up pictures of that model with the backplate removed to try and save some time, but no dice. So I'm unable to confirm whether there are pads between the PCB and backplate. You'll have to check that.

IF there aren't any, then the design of this card was relying entirely on you running the gpu's fans at high speed to keep the Vram cool.
There are no pads on the backplate, so maybe I should just buy myself an 80mm fan and put on in the backplate?