[SOLVED] How do I move my Windows installation to a new SSD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

princedragonis

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
spearblade.com
I have a Windows 10 on my HDD. I recently purchased an M2 SSD. I wish to boot my Windows from it and have all the apps on it. It is being shown as a drive. I wish to move my Windows to the SSD. A reinstallation is okay. My question is:

If I try to install a Windows 10 copy from a live USB by setting BIOS boot priority to the flash drive instead of the HDD's Boot Manager (therefore, without disconnecting the existing HDD from the motherboard), can I install a Windows on the SSD, given it appears in the disk selection window? Assuming I can, what will happen upon a restart, if I set BIOS boot priority to the SSD now? Assuming now I have two separate operating systems on different disks both connected to the same board, can I format the HDD's C Drive (of course, after moving any data and given I am okay with saying goodbye to my software) and make it a normal HDD partition?

Will this do the migration, sort of, that I am looking for, or am I missing something?

Solution
Victoria is windows software.
Scroll down to bottom of the page. Download link is there.

With MHDD it's more complicated.
  • 1. Download magic boot disk MHDD iso image.
  • 2. Mount magic iso image
  • 3. Download HP usb format tool
  • 4. Use HP usb format tool to make bootable USB flash drive using mounted iso image as boot files source
  • 5. Copy over contents of iso image to usb flash drive. Do not overwrite any files. Choose skip, when asked to overwrite.
  • 6. In BIOS switch sata controller mode to IDE (after done with MHDD, you'll have to set...

princedragonis

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
spearblade.com
2 pending sectors - that could be fixable.
Pending sectors get resolved by overwriting them.
You can do this with MHDD (scan with relocate option) or with Victoria software.

Can you please tell me how to fix these "unstable sectors"? Any link to the software is appreciated because the two names you gave are only "floppy executables".

Untitled.png

Victoria is windows software.
Scroll down to bottom of the page. Download link is there.

With MHDD it's more complicated.
  • 1. Download magic boot disk MHDD iso image.
  • 2. Mount magic iso image
  • 3. Download HP usb format tool
  • 4. Use HP usb format tool to make bootable USB flash drive using mounted iso image as boot files source
  • 5. Copy over contents of iso image to usb flash drive. Do not overwrite any files. Choose skip, when asked to overwrite.
  • 6. In BIOS switch sata controller mode to IDE (after done with MHDD, you'll have to set this back to previous value).
  • 7. Boot from prepared USB flash drive and use mhdd to run the program
cd mhdd
mhdd /enableprimary

• 8. Use command port to select drive to operate on
  • 9. Use command scan to scan the drive. Set relocate=on , when options box appears.

Solution

hockey3761

Reputable
Oct 12, 2018
Hello, I have an issue after following the steps, perceivably correctly.

I used Macrium to clone my C drive and pasted it into my new SSD. I did the boot order thing, removed my old SSD from the computer. However, it wont boot. It keeps kicking me back to the Bios. I have done this twice now and really frustrated, not sure what I am doing wrong.

I feel like I am following all of the steps in one of the first posts. I followed the steps in some youtube video that talks about the same thing.

One thing I did do during this cloning of the drives. When moving the original boot drive to the new drive, the new drive is larger. I used the AOMEI partition to take advantage of the new larger drive so I can use all that new space.

I am lost why it wont boot to windows.