[SOLVED] How do I power my CPU?

FBergeron

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
It's my second build. I had no issue with the first one years ago.

However this time, it doesn't work. I have a black screen when I turn on the computer. The fans are running though. I'm pretty sure it's because the CPU has no power.

My motherboard is:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming M (M-ATX) mb4608.

It has a 4-pin ATX12 V 2x2 and a 8-pin ATX 12V 2x4 side by side.

My power supply is:

Oultech 80PLUS SILVER ATX Power Supply Unit FSP RAIDER Series, RA2-650

It has a 2 4-pin split connectors. I think I can make a 8-pin connector if I combine them but I'm not sure how to plug it.

Should I plug 1 part of the 4-pin connector on the 4-pin ATX12 V 2x2?

Or should I connect the whole 8-pin with the 8-pin ATX 12V 2x4?

I hope someone can help me.

Solution
The onboard graphic card does not work? How come? Why is that?
The CPU does not feature integrated graphics and the video ports on motherboard rely on it. The board itself does not feature a video controller. It's integrated in the CPU, which is not the case with the CPU you're using.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9400f-cpu-integrated-graphics,6107.html

I see. Thank you very much for this information. I didn't know that.

Would you have a suggestion for a cheap graphic board?

FBergeron

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
Are you using a graphics card? If yes, make sure that the monitor is connected to it, not to motherboard. If not, you'd need one. The onboard does not work.

I was plugging my monitor using the integrated HDMI port. The onboard graphic card does not work? How come? Why is that?

I tought I would not need one so I don't have any :-(

FBergeron

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
The onboard graphic card does not work? How come? Why is that?
The CPU does not feature integrated graphics and the video ports on motherboard rely on it. The board itself does not feature a video controller. It's integrated in the CPU, which is not the case with the CPU you're using.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9400f-cpu-integrated-graphics,6107.html

I see. Thank you very much for this information. I didn't know that.

Would you have a suggestion for a cheap graphic board?

Solution

FBergeron

Prominent
Sep 29, 2019
It works!

However, when I try to install Debian, I get a black screen as soon as I click "install"...
If I boot using a Live USB Ubuntu 18.04, it runs normally. So I might have to change my Linux distro.
That sucks a little bit.