Question How do I remove 18 instances of Sea of Thieves from my hard drive?

Jul 10, 2019
Sea of Thieves is taking up 680gb of my hard drive. It has allocated space seemingly once a month or so since the game came out. It keeps telling me I dont have the permissions to remove the game files even when I change the permissions from system to my user account. Im logged in as admin and have tried to change permissions on the folder to everyone or the admin user on the computer but it still tells me i dont have permission to delete them. game was downloaded at launch from the windows store then I thought I removed it but obviously not lol.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
as long as your sure you need the files deleted, this method will let you delete anything and you could damage your windows install. beware.
My Canned Rant about Deleting Stubborn Windows Files-
Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. once the system boots to the USB drive open the file explorer, mount the hard drive if needed and delete the file/files/folders. Linux is not bound by windows permissions. After file deletion reboot to the hard drive. Remember to remove the USB drive.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally an fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.
-end canned rant

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting.

Where did you get the game? Source site? When did you first download the game?

Anyway, if you have Admin rights to your system and the hard drive you should be able to go in and change the host folder rights to "Everyone" and then delete the entire folder, game and all, to recover the space.

Then address reinstalling the game.

Jul 10, 2019
Interesting.

Where did you get the game? Source site? When did you first download the game?

Anyway, if you have Admin rights to your system and the hard drive you should be able to go in and change the host folder rights to "Everyone" and then delete the entire folder, game and all, to recover the space.

Then address reinstalling the game.
im logged in as admin and that didnt work. I download from the windows store.

Ralston18

Titan
Corrupted install perhaps.

Overall, take another look at the host (Sea of Thieves) folder and who has what rights with respect to that folder.

You, as Admin, should be able to assign full rights (read, write, delete, etc.) to "Everyone" with respect to that host folder.

Use those rights to delete all files first and the folder next.

Post any error messages or pop-up windows if doing so fails.