How do I remove everything except Win10 and drivers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks, I've just got a new ASUS X-series laptop and it has lots of junk/bloatware programs installed...

What's the best and safest (I'm not very tech savvy) way to remove everything except Windows 10 and the necessary drivers on my laptop? What options do I have from most safest to most risky?

Otherwise, can I just go through and manually uninstall all of the bloatware without needing to mess around with uninstalling Win10? I tried out PC Decrapifier but this was unfortunately useless and didn't find anything. By the way, is ASUS Giftbox bloatware? I couldn't find any info online.

I was reading this page and wondering if these options here might be good for cleaning up the laptop? http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013065

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks

Solution
Create Installation Media and Install Windows from Scratch

The classic method of performing a clean install is still our go-to option with Windows 10. You just need to download and create installation media, either on a DVD or a flash drive, and install it from there.

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft. This tool will download the correct Windows 10 installation files for your system, and help you create an installation DVD or flash drive. Start it up and select the “Create installation media for another PC” option to create installation media.

Be sure to select the correct type of installation media for the copy of Windows 10 that’s licensed for your PC — Windows 10 Home or Professional. (If “Windows 10”...

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason.

I just typed in 'Create a recovery drive' into the Windows 10 search field and followed the instructions from there...

I would really like to make a backup of the original/factory version of the system (which as I understand is what's stored in the hidden recovery partition on the hard drive?). What would be the best way of doing this? (Would I have to select a factory reset within the Windows recovery options and then make a backup, or is there a way of making a backup without having to do this?).

So you said you have two of the same laptops, one still in the box/unused at all?
Do the windows install on the one you're currently using, if you don't like it, then you can clone the hard drive of the other laptop over this one and they'll both be the same again. There's no way to do an exact "factory reset" copy because to use windows when you first start it up it goes into a "first time use" mode that asks you to create a profile/ect. That's the true "I've been reset to factory defaults" that your other laptop has available, and so does the one you're using but you want to get rid of, and then restore possibly. Your laptop should have a "restore to factory defaults" option somewhere, like if you launch it in recovery mode (look in the laptop manual for this) that will explain what keys to hold down on bootup to do this. But after you do a reformat of your hard drive, and do a clean install of windows, that restore to factory option is gone, but so is all the asus/bloatware that you wanted to get rid of in the first place.

The Create a Recovery drive (make sure you choose the full recovery option) will restore the laptop as it is currently, with all the changes you've done to it.

To copy your other laptops hard drive EXACTLY over your "test laptops" hard drive, you'd want to use software like Acronis True Image
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/
The easiest way to do that would be to take the hard drive out of your test laptop (should be pretty easy, assuming it's a sata hard drive) and then connect it to your other laptop after starting it up and putting acronis on it and telling it to copy the hard drive over. Then after that's done you run the asus factory restore mode on the test laptop and/or the other laptop to turn them back into factory fresh models.
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason

Unfortunately, I've now returned the second ('test dummy') laptop as I wanted to get the refund before I go on holiday later this week...

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but what's the closest I can get to a factory/original version backup of my laptop (without having the other laptop also available)? So far, I've only installed/uninstalled a few programs and adjusted the Windows settings (Personalisation settings etc). Would I need to do the 'restore to factory defaults' option (in the Windows recovery options) and then make a backup/recovery drive, if I understand right?

The original link you had is the best way to get it as close as possible to the factory default settings:
http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013065

So you'd want to actually make a System Image:
A system image is a file — or set of files — that contains everything on a PC’s hard drive, or just from one single partition. A system imaging program looks at the hard drive, copying everything bit by bit. You then have a complete system image you can copy back onto a drive to restore the system state.

The system image contains a complete snapshot of everything on the computer’s hard drive at any given time. So, if you have 500 GB of space used on a 1 TB drive, the system image will be about 500 GB. Some system image programs use compression to shrink the system image’s size by as much as possible, but don’t count on saving much space in this way.

Different system image programs use different types of system images. For maximum compatibility, you should use the same tool you used to create the system image to restore it. Windows itself creates system images that contain multiple files with the .xml and .vhd file extensions. System images are just one of the many back up tools included in Windows.

So do this:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5495-system-image-create-windows-10-a.html

And then to restore it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

And then to factory reset it do what the FAQ says. (that will make it ask the personalization options again)

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason

So first I would need to restore the system to factory settings (following the ASUS FAQ page), and then I can create the System Image (for backup)? Is that right? (There's no way to create a factory/original version backup without first restoring the system to factory settings?)

Regarding the ASUS FAQ page, on the step where it says click "Restore factory settings" and then you can choose between: "Remove everything" or "Restore factory settings" - the only difference I can see is that the "Restore factory settings" option "reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC" - what does "the version of Windows that came on this PC" mean here? I haven't done a clean installation of Windows on the laptop, so surely it would be the same version as the factory version? Would I still need to select the "Restore factory settings" option?

And then the next step, I would choose "Only the drive where Windows is installed" right?

Would restoring to factory settings (as per above) also delete the recovery partition (where the backup/recovery drive for Windows is stored)?

And with the last step, I could just select "Just remove my files" right? (Not "Remove files and clean the drive").

When you perform Windows restorations and re-installations, does this tend to make the system/Windows less stable afterwards or is still just as reliable?

Thanks

Restore the factory settings puts it back to exactly as it was before you opened the box. The recovery partition won't be touched.

Removing everything does exactly that. This is a "clean" version of windows, though we can't guarantee that asus stuff isn't still hanging arond.

There should only be one hard drive in the laptop, it may be asking this if you have USB drives connected (they kinda count as hard drives)

Just remove my files... kinda sorta isn't reliable. Pretty much anything that isn't a clean install makes Windows less stable. That's why so many people are hating the force Windows 10 upgrades, because it makes their systems unstable because they have a bunch of old stuff mucking it up.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks again James Mason

I'm going on holiday tomorrow but I'll take a look again when I'm back. Will keep you posted.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Hi James Mason

I'm back from holiday now and wresting with my laptop :)

So, what I did was go into the Windows 10 options and selected 'Reset' (and then it only allowed me to reset and keep my files... there was no option saying 'factory reset' for some reason?).

And now after the reset, Windows keeps freezing (e.g. I click on the Windows start button and nothing happens) and it's not running well at all...

What would you suggest? Asus just said to me to click on Reset again.

Otherwise I was thinking about the using the Windows 10 installation I have on my USB memory stick (which I downloaded using the media creation tool - by the way, is this version from microsoft's website or would it just be a copy of the Windows installation already on my laptop? I find it a bit confusing).

Not quite sure what to do but Windows 10 doesn't seem to be very stable. Any ideas much appreciated :)

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

The first reset I selected to keep my files (for some reason it wouldn't let me not keep my files). But yesterday, I did another reset (this time from the Troubleshooting menu in Windows) and it allowed me to reset everything and not keep my files. It seems to be working better already... I'm going to install some programs/software tomorrow and see if anything messes up. I was wondering about Avast! perhaps causing issues as it changes a lot of Windows settings and stuff... what do you think? Is there a better free anti-virus software? (I've used AVG in the past).

Hmm, I think the drivers should be installed as it was just a reset back to the original/factory installation (not a clean Windows installation)? I've not noticed anything missing. But yea, I can always grab them from the ASUS website.

Cheers

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason!

I'll check on the drivers. The following is available on the ASUS website:

BIOS
-BIOS 204 (update Nvidia VBIOS)
-BIOS 202 (update Nvidia VBIOS)

BIOS Utilities
-Windows BIOS Flash Utility

Chipset
-Intel INF Update Driver

ATK
-ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
-ATKPackage (For Windows 10 Upgrade, ATKPackage includes ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities)

Audio
-Conexant Audio Driver

VGA
-nVidia Graphics Driver (Version V10.18.13.5384.02)
-nVidia Graphics Driver (Version V10.18.13.5384)
-Intel Graphics Driver

LAN
-Realtek LAN Driver

Card Reader
-Realtek Multi-Card Reader Driver

Pointing Device
-ASUS Smart Gesture

Utilities
-ASUS Live Update (Version V3.4.1)
-ICEsound (Version V1.0.0.138)
-ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology (Version V3.14.0006)
-ICEsound (Version V1.0.0.93)
-ASUS Live Update Utility (Version V3.3.5)
-ASUS Splendid
-ASUS HiPost
-ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology (Version V3.11.0001)
-ASUS USB Charger Plus
(Why are there 3 versions of ASUS Splendid here?)

Wireless
-Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application
-Realtek Wireless Lan Driver and Application
-Broadcom Wireless Lan Driver and Application
-ASUS Wireless Radio Control
-Ralink Wireless Lan Driver and Application

Bluetooth
-Realtek BlueTooth driver
-Qualcomm Atheros BlueTooth driver
-Broadcom BlueTooth driver
-Ralink BlueTooth driver

Others
-Intel Management Engine Interface
-Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
-Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control Driver

Which of the above should I install? (If you could put a + sign next to them that would be great).

And what do you think about the Apps, Features, Services, Startups and Processes listed below that my system has pre-installed/running? Are there any I should uninstall or disable? Perhaps you could put a minus next to any that should be removed/disabled, thanks James. (I've tried using things like shouldiremoveit.com and PC Decrapifier before but they weren't very helpful).

Apps and Features
-3D Builder
-Adobe Reader 9
-Alarms and Clock
-App connector
-Asus Device Setup
-Asus Giftbox
-Asus HiPost
-Asus Live Update
-Asus Smart Gesture
-Asus Splendid Video Enhancement Technology (On-Screen Display)
-Asus USB Charger Plus
-Asus WinFlash
-Asus Windows Driver Package (ATP)
-ATK Package
-Audio Wizard (ICEPower)
-Calculator
-Calendar
-Camera
-Cisco EAP-Fast module
-Cisco LEAP module
-Cisco PEAP module
-Conexant HD Audio
-Dropbox
-Evernote
-Films and Tv
-Foxit Phantom PDF
-Get Office
-Get Skype
-Get Started
-Groove Music
-Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control
-Intel Management Engine Component
-Intel Processor Graphics
-Intel Security Assist
-ICEPower (Audio Wizard)
-Intel HD Graphics
-Mail
-Maps
-Messaging
-Microsoft Edge
-Microsoft Office
-Microsoft Solitaire Collection
-Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64
-Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86
-Microsoft Wifi
-Money
-Music Maker Jam
-Netflix
-News
-Nvidia Geforce Experience
-Nvidia Graphics Driver
-Nvidia PhysX System Software
-OneDrive
-OneNote
-People
-Phone
-Phone Companion
-Photos
-Realtek Bluetooth Filter Driver
-Realtek Card
-Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver
-Realtek Wireless LAN Driver
-Search
-Skype video
-Smart audio
-Sport
-Store
-Sway
-TeamViewer
-TripAdvisor
-Voice Recorder
-Weather
-Windows Accessories
-Windows Admin Tools
-Windows Ease of Access
-Windows Feedback
-Windows Powershell
-Windows System
-Xbox

Services
-ASLDR Service (Asus)
-ATK GFNEX Service (Asus)
-(Geolocation Service [MS]) (this sounds suspicious)
-Windows Firewall (MS)
-Nvidia Network
-Nvidia Streamer
-Nvidia Display Driver Service
-Windows Update

Startup
-Adobe Acrobat Speedlauncher
-Adobe Reader
-Adobe Manager
-Conexant HD Audio Filter Agent
-Microsoft OneDrive
-Nvidia Backend
-Nvidia Capture Server Proxy
-Smart Audio CPL (Conexant)
-Test (no publisher, sounds strange)

Processes/Background Processes
-3D Builder
-ACMON
-Application Frame Host
-ASLDR Service
-Asus Giftbox
-Asus Live Update
-Asus Smart Gesture Center
-Asus Smart Gesture Helper
-Asus Smart Gesture Loader
-Asus USB Charger Plus
-Asus Product Register Program
-Asus Webstorage Windows Service
-Asus WSLoader
-ATK Media
-ATK OSD2
-Calculator
-Conexant Audio Message Service
-Conexant HD Audio Filter Agent
-Device Association Framework Provider Host
-Dropbox Update
-GFNEXSrv
-HControl
-Host Process for Windows Tasks
-igfxCUIService Module
-igfxEM Module
-igfxHK Module
-igfx Tray
-Intel Dynamic App Loader Host Interface
-Intel Local Management Service
-Intel Security Assist
-Intel CpHeciSvc Executable
-McAfee (Access Protection, Core Firewall Service, CSP Service Host, Management Service, Process Validation Service, Scanner Service, Service Host, Update Launcher)
-Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator Service
-Microsoft Office
-Microsoft OneDrive
-Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
-Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service
-Nvidia Backend
-Nvidia Driver Helper Service
-Nvidia Geforce Experience Service
-Nvidia Network Service
-Nvidia Network Stream Service
-Nvidia Settings
-Nvidia Streamer Service
-Nvidia Streamer User Agent
-Nvidia User Experience Driver Component
-PresentationFontCache.exe
-Realtek Bluetooth BTDev Manager Service Application
-Runtime Broker
-Search
-SmartAudio
-SmartAudio Service Application
-Spooler Subsystem Application
-Teamviewer
-UpdateChecker
-Usermode Font Driver Host
-WildTangent Games Application Integration Service
-Windows Shell Experience Host
-Windows Wireless LAN Extensibility Framework
-WMI Provider Host

There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews with the free anti-virus programs (what do you use?). (I found this page which has some nice reviews: http://www.av-comparatives.org/summary-reports/).

Phew, that was a lot of typing. Thanks for your patience and help, have a great weekend.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason

Yes, I selected the support/download page for my specific laptop model (here: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X550JX/HelpDesk_Download/ and selected OS: Windows 10 64bit). So I'm not sure why they have multiple options for the drivers?

Thanks I understand with the program list (it's long I know). In terms of the Asus programs though, which are just bloatware (that can be safely removed)?

-Asus Device Setup
-Asus Giftbox
-Asus HiPost
-Asus Live Update
-Asus Smart Gesture
-Asus Splendid Video Enhancement Technology (On-Screen Display)
-Asus USB Charger Plus
-Asus WinFlash
-Asus Windows Driver Package (ATP)

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason

Makes sense, I'll do some research on each program and see which to remove (I've removed Asus Giftbox and USB Charger Plus so far).

I had a quick look at the drivers that are installed on my system and they seem to be mostly the Realtek ones (where there were multiple options on the Asus website, as we previously mentioned).

Well, I think I'm almost good to go... Things seem to be fine now with the system since the second Reset. I'm just uninstalling a few programs that were pre-installed, otherwise all done.

What would you recommend for on-going backups of my system? Is there good (free) software for doing this and which option is best? (I've seen things like 'Create a system Image', 'Create a system restore point', 'Create a recovery drive'). I plan to use my SSD drive just for installing and running programs, and I'm going to get an external HDD for my personal files which I'd like to backup regularly (not sure how often is good?).

Cheers again

The windows create a system image is good enough for backups if you don't want to spend money on expensive backup software.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10%E2%80%99s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

But really, something like one drive for backing up the documents and then just reinstalling the programs if they ever go bad.

But yeah it's possible if you're only backing up a small SSD to like a 1tb HDD every night, you should be able to have multiple backups.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Sounds good, thanks James Mason.

I'd like to have a daily automatic backup of my personal files to my external HDD every night... what might be the best way of doing that? (And how would this work practically? Would I have to place all of my files in one location and specify that location for the automated backup?)

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks James Mason, and sorry for the slow reply.

I really appreciate all your support with setting and backing up my laptop... it's all going really well and running good.

Cheers