[SOLVED] How do I restore a Win7/10 system image from my NAS?

Ryan Mundt

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I've been successfully creating full system image backups for months on my Synology DS218+ (Windows 7 backup utility on Windows 10), and now I need to restore my machine. I proceeded to create a bootable flash drive (Windows Media Creation Tool) on another machine, inserted it in my PC that's down, and booted to the Troubleshooting section. When I select restore from system image, I get to a page that prompts for a network location; I enter my NAS backup location and I get a connection error (I'm not in front of my computer at the moment or I would quote it). I read somewhere that I need to install network drivers first, so I downloaded them from my motherboard's support page (and placed them on the Windows install flash drive), but I couldn't figure out what file to select.

Am I on the right track? I prefer to avoid 3rd party options if there is something baked right into Windows.

Solution
Install windows enough to get the network connected then go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and select Restart in the Advanced Startup section.
At Choose an Option, go to Troubleshooting > Advanced > Image Recovery

You can save yourself a buch of time by making a System Repair Disk when done. The option is in the Backup & Restore section.

popatim

Titan
Install windows enough to get the network connected then go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and select Restart in the Advanced Startup section.
At Choose an Option, go to Troubleshooting > Advanced > Image Recovery

You can save yourself a buch of time by making a System Repair Disk when done. The option is in the Backup & Restore section.

Solution