[SOLVED] How do I run a stick of 3600MHz RAM at advertised speed (other than using an xmp profile)?

Dec 11, 2020
I used to run my corsair LPX 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3600 just fine with xmp enabled. I just bought another one of it, plugged properly and my pc is running fine (So now it's like 4 x 8). However when I turn on xmp to run it at 3600MHz, my pc fails to boot and the bios will ask me to return the previous xmp-disabled settings. Any advice or solution to this and run them at 3600MHz?

Note:
  1. I'm not familiar with OC but if it is the only option, patiently guide the steps for me.
  2. I noticed that the DRAM manufacturer is different on the new stick (the old one is samsung and the new one is sk hynix). Do they interfere with one another?

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

To run faster than 2666@1.2v, DDR4 ram needs to be overclocked and run at a higher voltage. Usually 1.35v
Inside the ram sticks, there are XMP profiles embedded in the hardware.
The profiles contain the settings of voltage, cas and speed necessary to run at higher speeds and different timings.
By selecting one of those XMP profiles you load them...
I used to run my corsair LPX 2 x 8 GB DDR4-3600 just fine with xmp enabled. I just bought another one of it, plugged properly and my pc is running fine (So now it's like 4 x 8). However when I turn on xmp to run it at 3600MHz, my pc fails to boot and the bios will ask me to return the previous xmp-disabled settings. Any advice or solution to this and run them at 3600MHz?

Note:
  1. I'm not familiar with OC but if it is the only option, patiently guide the steps for me.
  2. I noticed that the DRAM manufacturer is different on the new stick (the old one is samsung and the new one is sk hynix). Do they interfere with one another?
Hello and welcome to the forums

If I understood correctly you are basically running 2 seperate kits of ram 2x 2X8
The specs like mhz and cl may be the same, but the die is not as you said hynix and samsung

running two different kits is not recommended, but they will mostly work with one another
OC is another matter, also XMP is an auto oc, this will most likely fail

my advice would be to run one of those kits and sell/give away/... the other
or to buy a new 32gb kit entirely

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Note:
What motherboard you could be limited to 3200 using 4 sticks.

Dec 11, 2020
Check your board spec. For example, I just realised my MSI X570 Tomahawk will only support max two memory modules running at 3600
That might be the case, but does it explicitly say 'only support max two memory modules running at xxxx'? I can't seem to find it in the manual... that or I just don't understand the phrasing on the manual :sweatsmile:

Dec 11, 2020
Hello and welcome to the forums

If I understood correctly you are basically running 2 seperate kits of ram 2x 2X8
The specs like mhz and cl may be the same, but the die is not as you said hynix and samsung

running two different kits is not recommended, but they will mostly work with one another
OC is another matter, also XMP is an auto oc, this will most likely fail

my advice would be to run one of those kits and sell/give away/... the other
or to buy a new 32gb kit entirely

Yes, I always heard about people adding new ram so I thought it would be ok... Thanks for the advice, will probably buy a new kit one day XD

Reactions: Quanticriver

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
That might be the case, but does it explicitly say 'only support max two memory modules running at xxxx'? I can't seem to find it in the manual... that or I just don't understand the phrasing on the manual :sweatsmile:
I had a look - you manual doesn't say anything about this (yes - mine was specific!).

Your manual does, however, say this (on page 1-6):
- Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency.

Can you also confirm that you have each pair of DIMMs in the correct slots? That is first pair in A2 and B2, second pair in A1 and B1.

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

To run faster than 2666@1.2v, DDR4 ram needs to be overclocked and run at a higher voltage. Usually 1.35v
The profiles contain the settings of voltage, cas and speed necessary to run at higher speeds and different timings.
By selecting one of those XMP profiles you load them into the bios ram settings. An easy way to overclock.
One problem is that your two different kits may have different XMP . You can only use one of them since all ram must operate with the exact same settings.
If you look at cpu-Z memory tab, you can see the settings you are now working with.
If you look at the spd tab, you will see a set of settings for each of the 4 kits. I might expect them to be different.
To get things to work at a higher speed, see if you see a common set of settings and explicitly set them in the bios.
If that does not work, increase the ram voltage a small amount at a time. 1.4v might be the max you want to try.

When done, verify that the ram works well and
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

If all else fails, but you are running ok, live with it.
Intel, unlike ryzen does not benefit much in real app performance or fps.

Solution
Dec 11, 2020
I had a look - you manual doesn't say anything about this (yes - mine was specific!).

Your manual does, however, say this (on page 1-6):
- Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency.

Can you also confirm that you have each pair of DIMMs in the correct slots? That is first pair in A2 and B2, second pair in A1 and B1.
Yes I can, the samsung one is on the A2 and B2 and the sk hynix is on the A1 and B1. They should have the same CAS latency of 18 too (they're the same products so they should be the same... right?)

Dec 11, 2020
Your probably going to need to try to manually set the timings, speed, and voltage. Up the voltage to 1.4

If it fails try the same timings but 3200 speed @ 1.35 volts, if that fails up the voltage to 1.4

Mixing memory can be tricky and sometimes it just don't play nice together.
I'll definitely try this tomorrow and report the results too. I tried adjusting the speed at 3600 manually earlier today but I don't understand about the voltage and timing(If I remember it correctly, either the voltage/timing can't be manually adjusted or I don't understand how to adjust them manually through bios). It resulted in the pc failing to boot too so I just reset it back to auto settings. Anything that I should pay attention to other than the timing/voltage?

Dec 11, 2020

By selecting one of those XMP profiles you load them into the bios ram settings. An easy way to overclock.
One problem is that your two different kits may have different XMP . You can only use one of them since all ram must operate with the exact same settings.
If you look at cpu-Z memory tab, you can see the settings you are now working with.
If you look at the spd tab, you will see a set of settings for each of the 4 kits. I might expect them to be different.
To get things to work at a higher speed, see if you see a common set of settings and explicitly set them in the bios.
If that does not work, increase the ram voltage a small amount at a time. 1.4v might be the max you want to try.

When done, verify that the ram works well and
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

If all else fails, but you are running ok, live with it.
Intel, unlike ryzen does not benefit much in real app performance or fps.
I'll screenshot what's in the memory and spd tab tomorrow, maybe you'll understand it better than I do. I'll also try increase the ram voltage and speed a bit and will report here as well.