How do I take a picture of a Video Game on my CRT?

klipschthxpromedia

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
How do I take a picture of my CRT with a picture on it? (or a video game)
I've been trying to do it for a long time and it never takes the picture the right way.
I've taken pics with 2 different phones. I've taken pictures with a digital camera. With the flash on and off and in the dark or when its light.
I have been trying to do this for a long time.
I have found that people at this site are very knowledgeable.
I was hoping someone could spare me a few moments and help me out.
Thank you

How do I take a picture of my CRT with a picture on it? (or a video game)
I've been trying to do it for a long time and it never takes the picture the right way.
I've taken pics with 2 different phones. I've taken pictures with a digital camera. With the flash on and off and in the dark or when its light.
I have been trying to do this for a long time.
I have found that people at this site are very knowledgeable.
I was hoping someone could spare me a few moments and help me out.
Thank you
You can't.
The CRT builds up the picture scanning each row one after the other with the phosphorus staying excited long enough for the screen to finish so it can start again, so you are never going to get a whole static frame that looks good.
To add to that if you are using interlaced it has empty lines in between.

You have to take the pic straight from whatever device you would use to display the pic, at great cost for some devices but you can mod anything to output a full digital image. Or for cheaper, or more expensive depending on factors, get a frame capture device or frame grabber those are designed to get frames from analogue sources.

Another way would be with a very good camera, set it up to take as many pictures in a row as fast as it can and search through them to find a good one.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
With a proper camera you can try increasing the exposure time but not altering WB (close the diafragm f8-f16-f22, put ND filters, lower the ISO like 100 or 50) and try to time te picture at about 1/12 of a second (tripod needed). The image might be blurry if it moved but in theory you would catch a full frame composed of two consecutive frames (at 24frames/s is 1/24s each frame and being interlaced you need two frames at least so 1/12). Some rows will still have more brightness and see horizontal lines depending on where the beam starts and stops during the exposure. So plenty of photographs might get you some of the photos where the start and stop of the beam is right at top and bottom so you get close to a perfect image.

If the image on the CRT is static you can bump the exposure time much more with the right ND filters to capture a lot more frames of the CRT and smooth out the beam trajectory... like 1/2seconds.

Also do this on proper DSLR or mirrorless cameras. The cheap ones have a rolling shutter and that will interfere with how the CRT functions top to bottom so is even harder to time the photo.