[SOLVED] How do I tell if I have a bad motherboard PCIe Slot or a bad graphics card?

Jan 25, 2019
How do I tell if I have a bad motherboard PCIe Slot or a bad graphics card?

CPU: Inlet i7-4770K
MoBo: MSI LGA 1150 Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX
GPU: 2x MSI R9 270X 4Gb Ran in Crossfire
Memory: G.Skill 16Gb(4x4Gb) 2400 DDR3
P/S: Corsair HX 850W ATX SLI/Crossfire Ready

I recently got back into PC gaming and started playing Escape from Tarkov (beta), I was noticing low frame rate when playing. So I started to dive into the problem a little more. When trying to see if Crossfire was still enabled, I couldn't find a crossfire setting anywhere on the AMD program and noticed it was only showing/recognizing one of the two R9 200 series under device manager. I remember years ago when I build and set everything up I remember there being two shown (I think) or am I mistaken? When I looked at my setup last night I noticed that I had my HMDI cable plugged into the second video card not the first one. After switching two the first card my monitor gets no signal. I made sure both cards at least turn on when I start my computer, verifying that they are receiving power from the power supply. I swapped both cards positions in their PCIe slots, reconnected the crossfire bridge, still only getting display from the second video card. To me this verifies that both cards are working. So I plugged the two six pin connectors from the second card and removed the crossfire bridge, still no output from the first card in PCIe slot. This is as far as I have gotten in my troubleshooting so far. I still need to test each card individually in both the first and second PCIe 3.0 slots, to reach a better conclusion. But right now I am starting to think that the first PCIe slot is bad/damaged somehow were it not providing an output.
Looking for any advice, help and/or other troubleshooting options.
Looking at replacing the motherboard with an MSI Z97A LGA 1500 series motherboard.
Also MSI makes a SLI Bridge is this compatible with Crossfire? Both my GPUs have single slot crossfire connections, was just curious about this.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE8D8MZ1024

Solution
I doubt that your motherboard pcie slot is bad, and also, your graphics card is probably ok.

Likely your game does not support dual cards.
Really, it would be better to replace with a single good card.
Perhaps a GTX1060 class card or better.

Synthetic sli benchmarks do get impressive FPS but gameplay is better with a single good card.
dual gpu is prone to stuttering and screen tearing.
I doubt that your motherboard pcie slot is bad, and also, your graphics card is probably ok.

Likely your game does not support dual cards.
Really, it would be better to replace with a single good card.
Perhaps a GTX1060 class card or better.

Synthetic sli benchmarks do get impressive FPS but gameplay is better with a single good card.
dual gpu is prone to stuttering and screen tearing.

Solution
Jan 25, 2019
I agree I build this computer over 4 years ago and just had tunnel vision about getting dual vid cards and having crossfire, but that still doesn’t explain why my first PCIe isn’t putting out a display.

Jan 25, 2019

I’ll give that a shot once I get home. Thanks for all the replies

Jan 25, 2019

so what do you make of this, just got home looked in BIOS at hardware monitor showing nothing in the first PCIe slot both cards are plugged in currently.