Question How do I test graphics and SSD cards.....

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
....While playing a game, I suddenly experienced a rapid loss of functionality, the screen froze and it seems that most other non-game related programs were affected too. Difficulty to login for one, and even when I was able to login, the connection seemed shaky at best. If my computer were a human I would suspect that its blood pressure had dropped to critical. First I ran a speed test but my speeds were normal. I then thought that it may be a hardware issue. Now I'm thinking my SSD is failing. Or maybe my graphics, but I doubt it. Not wanting to spend money unnecessarily, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to test these things? I can't find anything on the web that has been useful. The two I've tried have only send back numbers that I do not understand but do not give me a diagnosis.
Thanks in advance....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu / gpu temp - Core Temp / Gpuz. Checking for thermal throttling while doing something that makes cpu and gpu work.

Background running processes and applications - Task Manager sorting processes highest to lowest to try identify whatever maybe consuming too much cpu or memory and right clicking that process to search info on it. See startup items also and process of elimination by disabling all and enable one by one. Run Malwarebytes.

Ssd health checked by CrystalDiskInfo. A too full ssd can also degrade performance, recommended 100gb free minimum, but even then depending on ram amount and pagefile growth 100gb may not be enough, limiting pagefile can help.

The usual first step checks there.

It is customary to include all system specs including psu model and age.