Question How do I update the BIOS on this Asus motherboard without a CPU ?

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Hello,

So i own a an Asus TUF B760M-PLUS WiFi motherboard and an i7-14700KF CPU.
The CPU is compatible with the motherboard but only after it’s updated to at least version 1205 of the BIOS. So my question is:

If the CPU is not compatible just yet, How do i update the bios version? There is no USB port labeled with BIOS or any indicator so I cannot do a BIOS flash without the CPU i assume. And I’m told that if I install my CPU i probably won’t be able to boot into the BIOS to update it. So i’m lost, What am I able to do to update the BIOS so i’m able to use my CPU

Solution
The only answer is this:

You need to drop in an older CPU (12th-gen should be safe) that the motherboard recognises in order to update the BIOS to the point that the mobo recognises 14th-gen.

There is no way around it, period. As things currently are, your CPU is a piece of sand and your motherboard is a brick.

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer; You don't. You will need a prior generation processor in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version then clear the CMOS, then drop in the latter processor onto the socket. Had the board had a BIOS FlashBack button, you wouldn't have needed to go through the aforementioned steps.

Why are you dropping an unlocked processor onto a chipset/board that won't allow you to take advantage of the processor? You should be looking at a Z790 chipset to pair with that i7-14700KF. On that note, if I were you, I'd look into the K SKU instead of the KF SKU since the iGPU will come in handy when you need to diagnose display related issues.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Simple answer; You don't. You will need a prior generation processor in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version then clear the CMOS, then drop in the latter processor onto the socket. Had the board had a BIOS FlashBack button, you wouldn't have needed to go through the aforementioned steps.

Why are you dropping an unlocked processor onto a chipset/board that won't allow you to take advantage of the processor? You should be looking at a Z790 chipset to pair with that i7-14700KF. On that note, if I were you, I'd look into the K SKU instead of the KF SKU since the iGPU will come in handy when you need to diagnose display related issues.
Okay, So i should replace my 14700KF with a 14700K?

does that also solve my main issue of being able to upgrade the BIOS?

Reactions: GBDev
The only answer is this:

You need to drop in an older CPU (12th-gen should be safe) that the motherboard recognises in order to update the BIOS to the point that the mobo recognises 14th-gen.

There is no way around it, period. As things currently are, your CPU is a piece of sand and your motherboard is a brick.

Solution
Try it.
Bios 1205 with 14th gen support was released June 2023.
A motherboard made after then would include the latest bios.
https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...sk_bios?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B760M-PLUS-WIFI

If you bought old stock, see if you can't get a fresh motherboard.
Or, pay a shop to do the flash for you using a compatible processor.

You saved some $25 or so by getting the F version.
Sooner or later, you will want integrated graphics. If the exchange is easy, I would consider it.
F or K has nothing to do with bios level.

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
The only answer is this:

Ah okay, I guess I'll just pay my local computer store to upgrade it for me

GBDev

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2016
Try it.
Bios 1205 with 14th gen support was released June 2023.
A motherboard made after then would include the latest bios.
https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...sk_bios?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B760M-PLUS-WIFI

If you bought old stock, see if you can't get a fresh motherboard.
Or, pay a shop to do the flash for you using a compatible processor.

You saved some $25 or so by getting the F version.
Sooner or later, you will want integrated graphics. If the exchange is easy, I would consider it.
F or K has nothing to do with bios level.
I have switched out to the K version and yeah i'll pay the shop to do it

thank you all for your support!

Hello,

So i own a an Asus TUF B760M-PLUS WiFi motherboard and an i7-14700KF CPU.
The CPU is compatible with the motherboard but only after it’s updated to at least version 1205 of the BIOS. So my question is:

If the CPU is not compatible just yet, How do i update the bios version? There is no USB port labeled with BIOS or any indicator so I cannot do a BIOS flash without the CPU i assume. And I’m told that if I install my CPU i probably won’t be able to boot into the BIOS to update it. So i’m lost, What am I able to do to update the BIOS so i’m able to use my CPU
The CPU will still work in the board, you just wont be able to use any of the PCI lanes that are controlled by the CPU.

So normally the top M.2 socket and top PCI-e slot for a GPU. If you have to have a GPU for video, install it in a lower slot and boot up to the BIOS and install the most current BIOS. Once done you will be able to move the GPU up to the #1 PCI-e slot and install a M.2 in the top socket.

Ive run into this issue with 2 Asus Prime z790 boards and 14700k's