[SOLVED] How do SSDs retain 100% health while writing 10000+ GB?

James_369

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016
This isn't a specific problem I have but rather something I noticed when looking at SSDs stats for CrystalDiskInfo (specifically NVMes).

Some of them have upwards of 100k GBs worth of writes yet they still say that the health is at 100%. Is there any reason as to why this is the case? My only guess is that there's more to the health than just how many writes you put into the SSD.

Solution
The real problem here is that too many people rely on some software to tell them the drive is dying, and only then do they think about protecting the data.

Software A reports as 100%
Software B reports as 50%
Software C reports as 2% - OMG It's gonna die tomorrow!

All 3 could be wrong.
And they are all irrelevant.
If you rely on those to tell you, you've already failed.

You need to be proactive with your backups.
Then, when the drive DOES die....your precious stuff is 100% recoverable.
The physical drive? Either free replacement under warranty, or it has lived a good life past the warranty period, and replace anyway.

I've had it happen.
It will happen to you too.

Lutfij

Titan
It's not just about data written to the SSD, it's also about data read from the SSD. Furthermore, there's also the matter about the condition in which the SSD is operating, yes thermal throttling does help retain some health in the SSD but over a ling period of time, that becomes a band aid solution. Might want to read through this post to help understand how health is calculated.

Reactions: lvt
This isn't a specific problem I have but rather something I noticed when looking at SSDs stats for CrystalDiskInfo (specifically NVMes).

Some of them have upwards of 100k GBs worth of writes yet they still say that the health is at 100%. Is there any reason as to why this is the case? My only guess is that there's more to the health than just how many writes you put into the SSD.
Can you post a screen shot from CDI for these ssd's?

Are you sure that all those 100K GBs (100TB?) of data go straight to the SSD?

If those data is processed in the computer RAM or GPU RAM, it doesn't count. The SSD controller only counts the amount of data it physically writes to / reads from the NAND.

USAFRet

Titan
This is for my 850 EVO (SATA III) drive.
kpT7MsD.png

It says 100%, but I believe its actually 94%. See the Wear Leveling Count.
Close enough, though.

USAFRet

Titan
The real problem here is that too many people rely on some software to tell them the drive is dying, and only then do they think about protecting the data.

Software A reports as 100%
Software B reports as 50%
Software C reports as 2% - OMG It's gonna die tomorrow!

All 3 could be wrong.
And they are all irrelevant.
If you rely on those to tell you, you've already failed.

You need to be proactive with your backups.
Then, when the drive DOES die....your precious stuff is 100% recoverable.
The physical drive? Either free replacement under warranty, or it has lived a good life past the warranty period, and replace anyway.

I've had it happen.
It will happen to you too.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS