[SOLVED] How do you cancel out speaker noise when restarting a pc, with a sound system connected.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi, all I got this great sound system hooked up to my pc, but there is some sound distorted sound when restarting the pc it is connected too.

Is there anything I can do about that?

(besides turning down the volume obviously)

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, all I got this great sound system hooked up to my pc, but there is some sound distorted sound when restarting the pc it is connected too.

Change the input to the sound system when restarting the PC. Select an unused digital input That would be silent.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I got windows 10, but that's not what I'm talking about, you know modern pc systems motherboards have noise canceling hardware right, and when powered up they do their thing cancelling noise, So I suspect my sound system is causing some distortion on the system all the time it's just being cancelled when the pc is on, just when I restart the pc there is this noise, figure I turn off my amp and only leave the desktop speakers on when restarting, but why is this and can there be something done about it?

Last edited:
I got windows 10, but that's not what I'm talking about, you know modern pc systems motherboards have noise canceling hardware right, and when powered up they do their thing cancelling noise, So I suspect my sound system is causing some distortion on the system all the time it's just being cancelled when the pc is on, just when I restart the pc there is this noise, figure I turn off my amp and only leave the desktop speakers on when restarting, but why is this and can there be something done about it?

Not sure what noise cancelling hardware you are talking about, but does not sound like that is the cause of anything.
The noise is probably just random electronic noise coming from the jack as it's getting power as the computer is booting. Or are you talking about the Windows startup chime being distorted? I have seen that happen many times, usually after a Windows update. It tends to settle down after a while or with a driver installation from the motherboard vendor.
Have you tested things with different connections and cables to see what exactly causes this? Try some other powered speakers, see if headphones get this noise also, etc...

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Not sure what noise cancelling hardware you are talking about, but does not sound like that is the cause of anything.
The noise is probably just random electronic noise coming from the jack as it's getting power as the computer is booting. Or are you talking about the Windows startup chime being distorted? I have seen that happen many times, usually after a Windows update. It tends to settle down after a while or with a driver installation from the motherboard vendor.
Have you tested things with different connections and cables to see what exactly causes this? Try some other powered speakers, see if headphones get this noise also, etc...

No its not windows startup sound. Got it figured after testing connections it's the AMP, must be because sound system has only got speaker distortion when amp is on and pc is off or restarting before OS boot.

About the noise cancelling, I thought about it again and it might be OS noise cancelling since there is no noise or distortion when OS setup or windows is running.

As for what I can do about it if it's power related, hence the question still remains?

kanewolf

Titan

Change the input to the sound system when restarting the PC. Select an unused digital input That would be silent.

Solution
Great solution but< I'd rather not have silent OS boot, windows startup sound is great to know if your audio is working when booting up and if sound levels are acceptable for the session purpose.
Windows playing startup sound is not indicative that all the audio sources are working as you might desire.

I do audio and video editing and use several audio sources, so I just place the audio icon on the desktop, which makes it simple to switch to any audio source.