Question How do you manage your temps in warm locations?

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
I live in a relatively warm place. It's around 24-28 degrees celsius during spring and hits 30+ during summer. Sadly I don't have AC in my room.
I got a corsair H110i. One exhaust fan on top and another exahaust in the back. AIO radiator is mounted on the front pulling air in. For some reason the airflow in my case is pretty bad. When I remove the side panel I immediately reduce my temps by a few degrees. I have a 140mm spare fan . I'm not sure if I can put it into use since I can either install it on the top or maybe the front but I'm not sure if it is possible to do with the radiator on the front.

I also have a big square room fan I can put in place of the side fan that actually cools pretty nice, it is just the dust build up I hate.

How do you guys manage your temps?

Lutfij

Titan
Sadly I don't have AC in my room.
That's what you get or try and facilitate cross ventilation in your abode/room.

For some reason the airflow in my case is pretty bad.
Make and model of your case? Make and model + number of fans in your build and their orientation? not all fans will push the same amount of air at the same RPM, due to blade design, not to mention fan size. Sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens this thread and accompanying suggestions will end up being moot to the user in the same boat as you're in now. It's why we ask for specs in the thread's body.

When I remove the side panel I immediately reduce my temps by a few degrees.
That would be an indication of the case being bad airflow wise.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
That's what you get or try and facilitate cross ventilation in your abode/room.

For some reason the airflow in my case is pretty bad.
Make and model of your case? Make and model + number of fans in your build and their orientation? not all fans will push the same amount of air at the same RPM, due to blade design, not to mention fan size. Sig space specs can and will change over time. When that happens this thread and accompanying suggestions will end up being moot to the user in the same boat as you're in now. It's why we ask for specs in the thread's body.

When I remove the side panel I immediately reduce my temps by a few degrees.
That would be an indication of the case being bad airflow wise.
It's a MSI Mag bunker. My two exhausts are 120mm, one in the back can go up to 1100rpm and the top can go up to 1400rpm. My intake fan is basically the two 120mm attached to the radiator of the AIO(corsair h110i) which is mounted on the front.

I have a spare 140mm fan that I haven't used yet, which I tihkn can go up to 1600 rpm.

I'll attach an image to describe the situation :
ccWsvbz.jpeg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For some reason the airflow in my case is pretty bad + MSI Mag bunker + I also have a big square room fan I can put in place of the side fan
Just take that front glass panel off.

the dust build up I hate.
That's something everyone has to deal with. Some more frequently than others. Filters collect dust too; they're not some magic dust prevention solution.

IF it is not an option, then take that square fan, and... do you have 2 windows, or just 1? Open both windows, with the big fan blowing the room air out of one of them - or if just one window, have it just blow out of that one.

Reducing the power limit on the 4070 can also be an option, but a 4070 shouldn't be that big on power(yeah, looks like it maxes ~200w), though a gpu is usually the largest heat producer in a PC.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before going further, check this detail. You have NOT told us WHICH temps you find too high, but I suspect you are talking about the CPU temperature mainly. Most AIO cooler systems for the CPU have the PUMP run full speed all the time and do control of the CPU temp only by varying the speed of the RAD FANS.

Corsair adds a feature within their iCUE software that controls CPU cooling. They allow you to set the pump speed manually. You don't do this often, but you CAN adjust. Ideally you would set it so that the rad fans CAN keep your CPU cool over the whole range of your normal uses. So, look inside iCUE for how the PUMP speed is set. If it is NOT full speed, experiment with higher pump speeds to move heat from CPU to rad faster, and that may cool the CPU more.

Reactions: CompuTronix

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Just take that front glass panel off.

That's something everyone has to deal with. Some more frequently than others. Filters collect dust too; they're not some magic dust prevention solution.

IF it is not an option, then take that square fan, and... do you have 2 windows, or just 1? Open both windows, with the big fan blowing the room air out of one of them - or if just one window, have it just blow out of that one.

Reducing the power limit on the 4070 can also be an option, but a 4070 shouldn't be that big on power(yeah, looks like it maxes ~200w), though a gpu is usually the largest heat producer in a PC.
I actually did take the front glass panel off. I also took of the magnetic dust filter on the front, that thing also blocks air sadly.

Oh so I should use the big square fan like an exhaust fan ? Interesting. I'll try that.

I could reduce the power limit(I have to at 99% and heat limit at 80), but so far I'm mostly cpu bottlenecked(11600K) on 1440p so I never hit high temps on the GPU. I also usually cap my fps.
The only game I played that somehow pushes both my CPU and GPU to the limit is BF2042 and that's because I'm not capping my fps so it goes up to 170+.
Before going further, check this detail. You have NOT told us WHICH temps you find too high, but I suspect you are talking about the CPU temperature mainly. Most AIO cooler systems for the CPU have the PUMP run full speed all the time and do control of the CPU temp only by varying the speed of the RAD FANS.

Corsair adds a feature within their iCUE software that controls CPU cooling. They allow you to set the pump speed manually. You don't do this often, but you CAN adjust. Ideally you would set it so that the rad fans CAN keep your CPU cool over the whole range of your normal uses. So, look inside iCUE for how the PUMP speed is set. If it is NOT full speed, experiment with higher pump speeds to move heat from CPU to rad faster, and that may cool the CPU more.
Yeah I use ICUE and use smart curves that are based on my CPU temps. My CPU temps are ok. I rarely see it go above mid 60's. It's just my water temp that's been hitting 38-39-40 degrees Celsius and I suspect it's because the ambient temperatures.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I actually did take the front glass panel off. I also took of the magnetic dust filter on the front, that thing also blocks air sadly.
Filters shouldn't reduce airflow by much, so it sounds like this one is being contrary.

The only game I played that somehow pushes both my CPU and GPU to the limit is BF2042 and that's because I'm not capping my fps so it goes up to 170+.
And that generates more heat into your room.

It's a MSI Mag bunker. My two exhausts are 120mm, one in the back can go up to 1100rpm and the top can go up to 1400rpm. My intake fan is basically the two 120mm attached to the radiator of the AIO(corsair h110i) which is mounted on the front.

I have a spare 140mm fan that I haven't used yet, which I tihkn can go up to 1600 rpm.

I'll attach an image to describe the situation :
ccWsvbz.jpeg
Can you move the top exhaust fan further back? It might be worth trying if you can.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
If your CPU internal temps are as good as that all the time, then the actual temps of the water circulating in the cooling loop are NOT an issue.

Ya, nothing wrong with those temps, in fact they're actually pretty good. I run in similar ambients with an air cooler, (5800X3D, Peerless Assasin Mini) and I see about 10C higher under load in the summer months.
Yeah I'm not seeing excessive cpu temps. Under 50-60% load it doesn't even reach 70 degrees. I had a delidded 7700k(oc'd) before I got 11600k, and I was somewhat used to seeing 75+ degrees on my cpu.

Actually last summer I used a square room fan in place for the side panel and it somehow kept the water temp around 37-38 degrees Celsius. But then again like I mentioned earlier, that exacerbates the dust issue.
Can you move the top exhaust fan further back? It might be worth trying if you can.
Yeah there are 2 120/140mm spots on the top and I can mount the exhaust on the further back spot.
I also have an additional 140mm fan I have, so I can also mount that one as an additional exhaust on the top.

While I'm not an expert, a problem I'm seeing with this case is, I believe the top exhaust fans aren't being much of a use simply because the intake fans are mounted on the bottom brackets, so they pull the air, and send it towards the GPU, and the gpu and it almost works as a seperator to trap some of the air in the bottom part of the case.
I also think that is the reason why I'm immediately getting lower temps when I take out the side panel.

I'll post a picture :
behSMxL.jpeg

Would it help if I moved the radiator up(not even sure if that's possible)?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll post a picture :
behSMxL.jpeg

Would it help if I moved the radiator up(not even sure if that's possible)?
Ah, the picture is worth a thousand words.
Your radiator fans are backwards - for a front intake, anyways. At the moment, ALL of your fans, except for the gpu cooler's are trying to exhaust.

IF the radiator can't be slid upwards, then it needs to be installed in the roof of the case - and if that's not possible, then you need an air cooler. The pump should never be the highest point of the fluid loop; it won't hold up as long.

Reactions: JCarax

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You can get a portable A/C unit that exhausts out the window if it is in your budget. The heat your PC is going to dump into the room is going to make it awful. I have my PC in my master bedroom and I have central A/C. The bedroom is always hotter than the rest of the house by at least 2 degrees. There's even a return vent in the ceiling in the bedroom. Still gets too hot for my taste.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Ah, the picture is worth a thousand words.
Your radiator fans are backwards - for a front intake, anyways. At the moment, ALL of your fans, except for the gpu cooler's are trying to exhaust.

IF the radiator can't be slid upwards, then it needs to be installed in the roof of the case - and if that's not possible, then you need an air cooler. The pump should never be the highest point of the fluid loop; it won't hold up as long.
Yeah sadly I just learned that the pump should have been installed at a higher point a few months ago. When I bought the cooler the tech dude installed it himself and told me it is the proper way to use it and I didn't question it.
I'll try to slide it upwards. Would you suggest trying to install the fans differently?
You can get a portable A/C unit that exhausts out the window if it is in your budget. The heat your PC is going to dump into the room is going to make it awful. I have my PC in my master bedroom and I have central A/C. The bedroom is always hotter than the rest of the house by at least 2 degrees. There's even a return vent in the ceiling in the bedroom. Still gets too hot for my taste.
I'll check the pricing but the thing is, the room the pc is in only has a balcony door.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Four thoughts.

1. Phazze88 says above your front rad fans are EXHAUSTS. I'm guessing that is because the fans are on the INSIDE of your rad. But they are exhausts ONLY if they are blowing OUT through the rad. ARE they? You may have mounted them as suction fans behind the rad, so they are intakes.

2. Moving the top exhaust fan to the very back will make little difference.

3. Adding an exhaust at the top close to the front may NOT help. If it is too close to the front panel top INTAKE fan the air coming in just gets sucked out without contributing to case cooling.

4. If you can, DO move the rad and fans up to the top of the front. This MIGHT take a bit of custom mod work - cut away bits of metal at top front that partially block the opening, and maybe drill some new holes in the sides of the front to allow proper placement of the rad mounting bolts. This will improve three problems:
(a) the bottom half of the bottom fan faces severe restriction of air flow, so less air gets through to the case.
(b) The same reduced air flow means that the bottom quarter of your rad is NOT doing much cooling.
(c) as JCARAX said above, the rad hoses should go to ABOVE the pump location.

The hoses must be mounted at the bottom not up like is this, you need to flip the rad upsidedown too. The fans are exaust, must flip them over to be intake, it does not matter much between in front or behind the rad but is very important to be flipped over to be intake.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I live in a relatively warm place. It's around 24-28 degrees celsius during spring and hits 30+ during summer. Sadly I don't have AC in my room.
those temps aren't that bad, sounds like summer here. Can you raise PC off floor to give it more air flow and/or leave a door open to allow heat out. In summer, having a window open all day only brings in the heat. I normally leave mine closed and rely on cool air from rest of house.

The hoses must be mounted at the bottom not up like is this, you need to flip the rad upsidedown too.
They don't have to be on the bottom, its just the most desirable way to do it. If your case won't let you do it, having them up is fine provided the pump is below the top of teh radiator. Its how I have mine. I had no chance of getting the hoses past my GPU
eVaJT7r.jpg

If you refer me to Steve's video, I will refer you to Jays follow up that shows its fine.

Last edited:
They don't have to be on the bottom, its just the most desirable way to do it. If your case won't let you do it, having them up is fine provided the pump is below the hoses entry point. Its how I have mine. I had no chance of getting the hoses past my GPU
If you refer me to Steve's video, I will refer you to Jays follow up that shows its fine.
Yes i know what are you saying but this way you can create bubbles thus making pump more noisy, while having hoses down there is no void, there is no chances to create bubles, if there is no other option yes you can mount it this way but i think he can do it otherway around, the ideal way.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
Four thoughts.

1. Phazze88 says above your front rad fans are EXHAUSTS. I'm guessing that is because the fans are on the INSIDE of your rad. But they are exhausts ONLY if they are blowing OUT through the rad. ARE they? You may have mounted them as suction fans behind the rad, so they are intakes.

2. Moving the top exhaust fan to the very back will make little difference.

3. Adding an exhaust at the top close to the front may NOT help. If it is too close to the front panel top INTAKE fan the air coming in just gets sucked out without contributing to case cooling.

4. If you can, DO move the rad and fans up to the top of the front. This MIGHT take a bit of custom mod work - cut away bits of metal at top front that partially block the opening, and maybe drill some new holes in the sides of the front to allow proper placement of the rad mounting bolts. This will improve three problems:
(a) the bottom half of the bottom fan faces severe restriction of air flow, so less air gets through to the case.
(b) The same reduced air flow means that the bottom quarter of your rad is NOT doing much cooling.
(c) as JCARAX said above, the rad hoses should go to ABOVE the pump location.

1 - I checked and yes turns out they are exhaust. The suction seems to be stronger in the inside of the case. I could only tell when I sparked a match otherwise it is really hard.
2 - I'll still try to do it.
3 - Hmm I see. Maybe I'll just replace the 120mm with the 140mm and move it further back. But at this point since every fan is an exhaust there is only negative pressure so it really doesn't matter where it is placed.
4 - That's the first thing I'll try. I'm just not sure if I can do it without removing the pump because I don't have thermal paste atm. Unless the tubes or the top of the radiator overlap something else I think there won't be a problem I see holes on the top where I can put the screws in. I didn't get a chance to unplug the pc and have a good look at it.
You just need to flip the fans around.
I think I can do that. Do you think having them as intake would work better than my current setup?

those temps aren't that bad, sounds like summer here. Can you raise PC off floor to give it more air flow and/or leave a door open to allow heat out. In summer, having a window open all day only brings in the heat. I normally leave mine closed and rely on cool air from rest of house.

They don't have to be on the bottom, its just the most desirable way to do it. If your case won't let you do it, having them up is fine provided the pump is below the hoses entry point. Its how I have mine. I had no chance of getting the hoses past my GPU
eVaJT7r.jpg

I'll see if raising it abovethe ground is an option. I'll have to buy like a small shelf/table. My house is really small and the only option to have some airflow is to keep the balcony door open. IT even helps during the summer. I'll check pricing of portable AC units if they are affordable then it might be an option too we'll see.
As of now though I can try to use one squre room fan to blow towards the PC just to keep the air cool and have another one blow out of the balcony door like an exhaust.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you think having them as intake would work better than my current setup?
Yes. If you use them as intake on front, they are drawing cool air from outside case in to use for CPU. It won't have any effect on the GPU, it doesn't change it temps to have slightly warmer air being blown over it.

Its how mine are set up. front are intake, roof/back are exhaust.

Reactions: JCarax and Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree fully - turn those rad fans around so they pull cool room air into the case. That alone is an improvement. But the key effect is that you need air FLOW THROUGH your case. "What goes in must come out." If ALL your fans are exhausting, then how does any cool room air get in? With your current set-up, only by leakage through small openings - not NEARLY enough intake! It will be easy to do this when you go to move the rad and fans up because the bolts that hold them to the frame also are how the fans are attached. CONSIDER as you do this re-arranging so the fans are on the OUTSIDE of the rad and blowing into the rad from the room air. Some fans work better when there is almost no air flow interference on their intake side.

Good on Phaaze88 who spotted this!

About turning the rad upside-down to get the hoses at its bottom end, I do not recommend that. It is a good arrangement for the rad alone BUT that would put the hose entry into the rad well BELOW the pump, and that is not good.

Colif

Win 11 Master
As also mentioned, it will aslo help if you could raise radiator a little so that the pump is below the top of the radiator, it might just be now but its hard to tell exactly from photo. One of the attachments on pump is clearly above the top of radiator so it really depends if thats the in or out on pump... I don't know them well enough to hazard a guess.

the top of the loop is where the air bubbles gather. So really helps to not have pump at top. Hence people suggesting hose positions on the rad but it doesn't matter if the pump is still at top.

JCarax

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2016
I agree fully - turn those rad fans around so they pull cool room air into the case. That alone is an improvement. But the key effect is that you need air FLOW THROUGH your case. "What goes in must come out." If ALL your fans are exhausting, then how does any cool room air get in? With your current set-up, only by leakage through small openings - not NEARLY enough intake! It will be easy to do this when you go to move the rad and fans up because the bolts that hold them to the frame also are how the fans are attached. CONSIDER as you do this re-arranging so the fans are on the OUTSIDE of the rad and blowing into the rad from the room air. Some fans work better when there is almost no air flow interference on their intake side.

Good on Phaaze88 who spotted this!

About turning the rad upside-down to get the hoses at its bottom end, I do not recommend that. It is a good arrangement for the rad alone BUT that would put the hose entry into the rad well BELOW the pump, and that is not good.
So one question, when I flip the fans to make them intake fans, I should mount them to the outside of the radiator right?
As also mentioned, it will aslo help if you could raise radiator a little so that the pump is below the top of the radiator, it might just be now but its hard to tell exactly from photo. One of the attachments on pump is clearly above the top of radiator so it really depends if thats the in or out on pump... I don't know them well enough to hazard a guess.

the top of the loop is where the air bubbles gather. So really helps to not have pump at top. Hence people suggesting hose positions on the rad but it doesn't matter if the pump is still at top.
Yes I will try to raise the radiator. Right now they seem leveled but I think the pump is a tad bit higher. Not optimal.
At this point I'm not sure if I can do all these things without removing the AIO alltogether which would require me to re apply the thermal paste which I don't have atm. I'll order some just in case I have to remove it when I'm readjusting the fans and the radiator.